Thoughts on Charlie Weis Extension

Hirly5

I think Notre Dame made the right move but I don't think it should have come this early. I understand why they did it because I think every NFL team with a opening for HC for give Charlie a lot of money. I know there is a lot of buzz over Notre Dame's start but Ty Willingham started hot also.

No doubt Weis is an excellent coach. The extension should help recruiting alot because it shows recruits that Charlie is going to be around for awhile. The Golden Domers could be moving back to the top.

The biggest difference between Charlie's hot start and Ty's is the way we have won. I don't know how many of you remember our 8-0 start that year, but it was the shakiest 8-0 ever. Our offense was godawful...there were games where our defense would outscore them. We got all the breaks, all the bounces and just seemed to have the "luck of the irish."

Then when BC finally nipped us, it opened up the floodgate. We were exposed. USC thumped the sh-- out of us in the game which gift-wrapped the Heisman for Carson Palmer. It was just apparent that we weren't as good as we played in the beginning. Not saying that I wasn't optimistic, everyone was. It just wasn't as convincing as it appeared.

With Weis, it's a whole new ball game. He promised that we would never get blown out again...and he has delivered. We have lost 2 heart breaking games and bounced back stronger than ever each time. We have a very good chance to run the table and get into the BCS...something even Ty couldn't do with the big start.

Weis is no fluke. He is a winner and locking him up was the smartest thing Kevin White has done in a long time.

I was listening to ESPN Radio and some people are calling ND racist for giving Weis an extension because Willingham started out 8-0. I find this laughable. The reason Weis got an extension was to help ensure that some NFL team wouldnt come swooping in and take him from ND. I realize Weis can leave whenever he wants but the buy-out was increased. I think it was a good move because so far ND is playing better than they have recently. I would just use Brady Quinn's progress in Weis' system. Weis is making Quinn a lot of money. I think Quinn will stay for another year to increase his stock even more.

Ty Willingham would have loved to get tossed around by a mediocre Michigan State squad at home and then get a 10-year extension.

492180[/snapback]

Three losing records in five years.

Lost to NC State in the Gator Bowl by 3 TDs.

Lost 38-0 to Michigan

Lost 37-0 to Florida State (first home shutout in 25 years).

Those 2 are in the 10 worst losses in school history. Since 1956, the only other loss to make that list is Faust's last game against Miami.

Lost 41-10 to USC

Lost 38-12 to Syracuse

Never beat Boston College

8 losses of 3 TDs or more in three seasons. Gerry Faust and Bob Davie had only six between them in 10 seasons.

13-15 after 8-0 start

No chance of being offered a NFL head coaching job (Weis would likely be able to choose whichever job he wanted this offseason).

Ty Willingham would have loved to get tossed around by a mediocre Michigan State squad at home and then get a 10-year extension.

492180[/snapback]

First off, MSU was playing amazing football early in the season. They have since stumbled.

Second, if you consider a 44-41 OT loss as "getting tossed around" then what would you consider a 22-16 loss? That was the score the only time a Willingham coached team played MSU at South Bend.

Ty has never been, and never will be a big time coach. Plain and simple.

Three losing records in five years.

Lost to NC State in the Gator Bowl by 3 TDs.

Lost 38-0 to Michigan

Lost 37-0 to Florida State (first home shutout in 25 years).

Those 2 are in the 10 worst losses in school history.  Since 1956, the only other loss to make that list is Faust's last game against Miami.

Lost 41-10 to USC

Lost 38-12 to Syracuse

Never beat Boston College

8 losses of 3 TDs or more in three seasons. Gerry Faust and Bob Davie had only six between them in 10 seasons.

13-15 after 8-0 start

No chance of being offered a NFL head coaching job (Weis would likely be able to choose whichever job he wanted this offseason).

492371[/snapback]

All of that with other coaches players. The guys TW recruited are juniors/seniors now. I don't anticipate Weis having any trouble recruiting players to ND, especially to play in his "pro" offense. But he's doing pretty well with guys Ty recruited.

I don't think they are as successful this year if Willingham stayed; I'm just throwing those "Devil's Advocate" points out there. I agree with your post.

To think they fired Ty for Urban Meyer. They really landed ass-backwards into Charlie Weis.

All of that with other coaches players.  The guys TW recruited are juniors/seniors now.  I don't anticipate Weis having any trouble recruiting players to ND, especially to play in his "pro" offense.  But he's doing pretty well with guys Ty recruited.

I don't think they are as successful this year if Willingham stayed; I'm just throwing those "Devil's Advocate" points out there.  I agree with your post.

To think they fired Ty for Urban Meyer.  They really landed ass-backwards into Charlie Weis.

492510[/snapback]

Thank God - not that I have a problem with Meyer. I've liked Weis for a long time - he's a very good coach.

I agree that Ty wouldn't have been as successful with this team. We'd likely have an additional loss to Michigan and both the USC and MSU games would probably have been blowouts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.