Alito becomes Bushes next nominee

No difference.  If I stop you from terminating a pregnancy, you have a baby you didn't want and if not for my actions would not have had.  Same result, your opinion, their womb, their life. 

Anti-abortion activists are not trying to force women to have babies who don't want them?  Hmmmm.......are you willing to state that no groups who oppose abortion don't also oppose contraceptives?

494750[/snapback]

I don't oppose certain contraceptives, I know goes against my Catholic upbringings. But killing a baby is killing a baby, whether it's still in the uterus or not.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually stopping abortion and simply making it illegal are two different things.  I thought you were originally stating that people who want Alito tossed if he would overturn Roe only take that position because they think it would mean an end to legal abortions. Do you think those 57% would change their minds on Alito if they were assured that they could still get illegal abortions the same way people buy drugs, in a seedy part of town from some crook?  I don't think so.

494763[/snapback]

I never stated that, but I do wonder how many people understand what overturning Roe means. I don't know how well people understand Roe and what overturning it would mean.

I don't think Americans want abortion outlawed. As you just said, Pres. Bush wasn't elected because people want abortion outlawed. As AD says, abortion isn't the most important issue to most Americans and shouldn't be.

If Roe is overturned and the Republicans attempt to pass federal legislation outlawing it, basically they'll be completely destroyed by it. People aren't up for a giant change like that. People don't like change in general. People aren't even ready to overhaul Social Security and that's something that is desperately needed. Overturning Roe would probably result in a ban on partial birth abortions and some states outlawing it.

I just wish that the anti-abortion crowd would put more effort into reducing the number of abortions through sex education and the use of contraceptives. Most of them oppose both.

Abortions currently run about 25% of all pregnancies in the US. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3 Million abortions a year!

To me, the quickest way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. If we had better sex education and better awareness of contraceptives, maybe we greatly reduce the number of abortions without having to get the Supreme Court involved in it.

Imagine if we could nominate Supreme Court judges on the basis of their qualifications rather than on their views on abortion.

I just wish that the anti-abortion crowd would put more effort into reducing the number of abortions through sex education and the use of contraceptives.  Most of them oppose both.

Abortions currently run about 25% of all pregnancies in the US.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3 Million abortions a year!

To me, the quickest way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. If we had better sex education and better awareness of contraceptives, maybe we greatly reduce the number of abortions without having to get the Supreme Court involved in it. 

Imagine if we could nominate Supreme Court judges on the basis of their qualifications rather than on their views on abortion.

494810[/snapback]

I totally agree with that. I don't understand these people who think sex education is lewd somehow.

Maybe I'm just being practical, but I think making sure people have a thorough understanding of how their bodies work might be beneficial.

I think they should be taught everything. Pregnancy, STDs, etc. - don't leave anything out.

I just wish that the anti-abortion crowd would put more effort into reducing the number of abortions through sex education and the use of contraceptives.  Most of them oppose both.

Abortions currently run about 25% of all pregnancies in the US.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3 Million abortions a year!

To me, the quickest way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.  If we had better sex education and better awareness of contraceptives, maybe we greatly reduce the number of abortions without having to get the Supreme Court involved in it. 

494810[/snapback]

I think that there is an element of self aggrandizement involved. How rewarding it must be to think of one's self as rescuing babies from slaughter at the hands of Godless abortionists. Oh to be an instrument of God, you can see how attractive being a baby rescuer must be. On the other hand, there isn't much of an ego kick to teaching sex education or the use of contraceptives. Besides, many of those same people have objections to contraception. That smacks of sex for pleasure rather than procreation which can be a big, big no-no. That's only one small step away from homosexuality, sex for non-procreative reasons.

I don't oppose certain contraceptives, I know goes against my Catholic upbringings.  But killing a baby is killing a baby, whether it's still in the uterus or not.

494766[/snapback]

...in your opinion. Thus, I would never declare control of your womb nor force you to terminate your pregnancy.

I'm not a democrat. I'm not a liberal. I'm not anti-Republican. Here is what I am: Something with enough sense to understand that all this nomination was brought about when it was brought about, with who it was brought about, to take away attention from the CIA investigation that has consumed the media.

Because if this is the future of America, it's no place for people who don't wish to use circle-logic as the basis of their entire political philosophy.

491792[/snapback]

Hey Smarty McSmartypants. The phrase is "circular" logic and it is the past of America, it is the present of America and it is, most definitely, the future of America.

Unfortunately, you don't really understand politics. It's not about philosophy. It's about power. Choosing a side is merely one step in trying to get that power.

You can be mad at Bush. You can dissaprove of the job he does or his end goals. But, all you are is a hater. If your main argument against any politician is their Machiavellian actions, then you have to hate on all politicians. From local school board reps to town board members to the president, they all do what they gotta do.

You are of the mistaken belief that some other politician would not be playing the game. They would. This current president is very good at the game. So was the last one. The only difference is their objective.

Hey Smarty McSmartypants.  The phrase is "circular" logic and it is the past of America, it is the present of America and it is, most definitely, the future of America. 

Unfortunately, you don't really understand politics.  It's not about philosophy.  It's about power.  Choosing a side is merely one step in trying to get that power. 

You can be mad at Bush.  You can dissaprove of the job he does or his end goals.  But, all you are is a hater.  If your main argument against any politician is their Machiavellian actions, then you have to hate on all politicians.  From local school board reps to town board members to the president, they all do what they gotta do. 

You are of the mistaken belief that some other politician would not be playing the game.  They would.  This current president is very good at the game.  So was the last one.  The only difference is their objective.

495281[/snapback]

The results are also different. Fortunately, this President has managed to save us from all that peace and prosperity, thank God. I don't think I could have stood another minute of that madness. I only wish he could run for a third term. :)