Buffalo Getting Old, Besides Being Bad.

San-O

And these players aren't even 30 yet.

All players listed are starters, and I count ten.

In order of last name:

Clements, Nate

Evans, Lee

Losman, JP

McGahee, Willis

McGee, Terrence

Parrish, Roscoe

Peters, Jason

Schobel, Aaron

Spikes, Takeo

Williams, Mike

We are not an "old team". Look at any team in the NFL, we are below average I'm sure.

488770[/snapback]

I think someone should check Schobels birth certificate though.He plays like he's about 47 or 48.

I think someone should check Schobels birth certificate though.He plays like he's about 47 or 48.

489176[/snapback]

I think this view is wrong in that Schobel actually plays too much like a kid and not enough like a vet.

His strengths are that he has a motor and keeps on going and going and going well into the play. In order to get a sack he needs to get the help of the DBs keeping the opponent covered so he has time to do his thing or he needs a QB who also runs around who eventually runs into Schobel's area.

A good vet develops a second and even a third effective move not so he can use them and switch and switch again in hopes the QB is still patting the ball, but he can either choose the move from his repertoire of mastery which is most effective against the opponent he is facing or if the first one doesn't work he can switch quickly to a second move that the blocker is out of position to deal with.

Schobel simply sucked at the point of attack as a rookie as he did not have the strength or the knowledge to get good leverage to use what he had well. However, he has improved in that he has put on some weight ang gained some strenght and knowledge so he is not embarrased like he was a younger player when Mark Brunell used and abused him twice in one game (one for a TD even) and a Miami blocker simply planted him on a winning 4th down throw.

I think we saw this in his sack numbers going up progressively. The sack #s are down from their peak but I think a lot of this is attributable to how he is used in the zine blitz and it is not a rare thing to see him doing pass coverage on a pass play rather than going for the sack.

He can make good plays as when he beat one of the best Johnathan Ogden on a spped rush last year, but clearly he needs more consistency this year.

Yeah, I know, however MOST of those guys are piping up any more that we are

well into the season.  This was really meant to be a serious post/question for

the most part, are looking for answers, as should Ole' Whitey.

You'll see, it's only a matter of time before you'll have people telling you how these guys are about to hit their prime, OR about to enjoy more pro bowl success.  or, how everything is really OK.  See post # 11.

488690[/snapback]

My pody 22 flat out does not say everything is OK. it may be a bit long for your attention span as I am overly verbose but it says:

1. We are rebuilding and actually in the modern NFL with the salary cap the good teams are not the ones who stick with their players (NE lost folks like Ty Law and Milloy by choice and were forced by injuriies to replace their 1st round drafted QB Bledsoe, big FA acquisition Colvin and most recently team leaders Bruechi).

Your panties may be in a wad because we are rebuilding but look around this is the reality in this league. Don;t you see that?

2. Since we are rebuilding the question is one of are we rebuilding well. In detail (which you only respond to with the fact-free opinions you are entitled to you do not respond with any counter analysis on your first post which at least provided a list. My post DID NOT say everything was OK, it merely said that even your list is SET-UP well. This means that things MAY be OK if we do a lot of things right and like NE we get lucky at the right times (Their streak is a grea achievement but their is a fair chance it never would have happened without the luck they had of a Lewis hit on Bledsoe and the refs applying the tip rule in Oakland- The streak of SB wins is great and they deserve full credit because they picked Brady when everybody passed on him 5 or 6 times).

3. Of the players you name the majority of them have replacements on the team for them (such as Evans/Moulds and Preston/Teague or Villarial) or they have failed but its way too early to panic and call them a bust (JP). There are 4 issues and agree with you they are a real concern and should be the focus on FA and the draft. It will take some work but do you think it is not doable. The selection of players like McGahee, NcGee and Evans in the draft does not mean that "whitey+ can't make mistakes like much of the 2002 darft, but he and the crew can do some good things or do you not acknowledge that. Getting TKO, Adams for a song, and realizing that even if Milloy was getting old he was better than the safety disaster we had after both Cota and Battles agreed to sign and then retired indicates that he can get it done on FA on many calls as well. Do you acknowledge this or not?

4. The argument which most devastates your virtually fact-free opinions is actually one after mind which points out that our roster is actually pretty young compared to the rest of the league and even though we are going through the rebuilding all teams must do, this rebuilding does not seem as firmly connected to an age issue at least in comparison to the rest of the league.

I'd love to see some detailed discussion and at least some facts, but if you do not have or wish to take the time that is fine also and people can take your initial post for the good start it was but see it is not supported or discussed with anything but the usual bromides.

This team is getting old very fast.  This year is most likely over, and this team

clearly not getting any better. 

All players listed are starters, (Shelton ?), and I count ten.

In order of last name:

95 Adams, Sam DT 6-4 335 32 12 Texas A&M

59 Fletcher, London LB 5-10 245 30 8 John Carroll

10 Holcomb, Kelly QB 6-2 212 32 9 Middle Tennessee State

36 Milloy, Lawyer S 6-0 190 31 10 Washington

80 Moulds, Eric WR 6-2 210 32 10 Mississippi State

96 Posey, Jeff LB 6-4 241 30 8 Southern Mississippi

31 Shelton, Daimon FB 6-0 262 33 8 Sacramento State

70 Teague, Trey OL 6-5 300 30 8 Tennessee

58 Villarrial, Chris OL 6-3 318 32 10 Indiana(Pa)

23 Vincent, Troy S 6-1 200 34 14 Wisconsin

:doh: 

Now what?

488552[/snapback]

of this list the only ones i have a problem with are posey, shelton and teague....the rest are still productive players, but dont get me wrong..im not saying extend them for another 6 years or nothing...

posey - we need another Lb that actually is a threat, not a silent player and i agree crowel takes his spot next year alongside spikes

shelton - i really wish we could just cut this guy...id love for buffalo to find another mike alstott in the draft, but those kind of FB's are rare..we really need a huge fb to take the ball on 3-1 or 4-1 and actually be able to punch it in..i think this spot and maybe Te are my big wish spots for the next draft...wish we could see what kevin Everit can bring to the team..oh well next year..lol

teague - is actually not bad but we need upgrade here and teague could actually prolong his carreer by being a backup and comeing in for breather plays..let me refrase that..the whole line needs upgrade but were talking bout teague

This team is getting old very fast.  This year is most likely over, and this team

In order of last name:

Now what?

488552[/snapback]

Adams- still has another year or 2 under contract

Fletcher- another year but I'd like an upgrade after that

Holcomb- 4 year contract to be a solid backup.

Milloy- His strength is playing up near the line as a 4th LB against the run. Asking him to single cover isn't his game. He must detest this D Gray is calling.

Moulds- Cap figure for 2006 is 10.8+ Mil - paycut or gone

Posey - Can be replaced

Shelton - Blocking FB's are easy to find. He's still got another year or 2. Signed an extension last year.

Teague- Who cares ? Bye bye after this year.

Chris V - Started playing poorly last year. Now can't stay healthy. Decision time.

Vincent- I only expected 2 years out of him anyhow. One more year while his replacement is identified. (R. Baker ?)

My pody 22 flat out does not say everything is OK. it may be a bit long for your attention span as I am overly verbose but it says:

1. We are rebuilding and actually in the modern NFL with the salary cap the good teams are not the ones who stick with their players (NE lost folks like Ty Law and Milloy by choice and were forced by injuriies to replace their 1st round drafted QB Bledsoe, big FA acquisition Colvin and most recently team leaders Bruechi).

Your panties may be in a wad because we are rebuilding but look around this is the reality in this league. Don;t you see that?

2. Since we are rebuilding the question is one of are we rebuilding well. In detail (which you only respond to with the fact-free opinions you are entitled to you do not respond with any counter analysis on your first post which at least provided a list.  My post DID NOT say everything was OK, it merely said that even your list is SET-UP well. This means that things MAY be OK if we do a lot of things right and like NE we get lucky at the right times (Their streak is a grea achievement but their is a fair chance it never would have happened without the luck they had of a Lewis hit on Bledsoe and the refs applying the tip rule in Oakland- The streak of SB wins is great and they deserve full credit because they picked Brady when everybody passed on him 5 or 6 times).

3. Of the players you name the majority of them have replacements on the team for them (such as Evans/Moulds and Preston/Teague or Villarial) or they have failed but its way too early to panic and call them a bust (JP).  There are 4 issues and agree with you they are a real concern and should be the focus on FA and the draft. It will take some work but do you think it is not doable. The selection of players like McGahee, NcGee and Evans in the draft does not mean that "whitey+ can't make mistakes like much of the 2002 darft, but he and the crew can do some good things or do you not acknowledge that. Getting TKO, Adams for a song, and realizing that even if Milloy was getting old he was better than the safety disaster we had after both Cota and Battles agreed to sign and then retired indicates that he can get it done on FA on many calls as well. Do you acknowledge this or not?

4. The argument which most devastates your virtually fact-free opinions is actually one after mind which points out that our roster is actually pretty young compared to the rest of the league and even though we are going through the rebuilding all teams must do, this rebuilding does not seem as firmly connected to an age issue at least in comparison to the rest of the league.

I'd love to see some detailed discussion and at least some facts, but if you do not have or wish to take the time that is fine also and people can take your initial post for the good start it was but see it is not supported or discussed with anything but the usual bromides.

489181[/snapback]

I totoally agree on the Milloy pick-up in 2003. Yes he was on the supposed "downside" of his career, however he was a huge upgrade over what we had/did not have, aka Coy Wire. With Coy Wire at SS, we never would have had our dominant defenses of 03 and 04...

Also, what team in the NFL is not "rebuilding" as you say, their is roster tunrover every-year. People make too much hype out of nothing. We just gotta get our guys to give 99% on every single play, and 100% when it's 4th and 1. Play like every play is your last, and like you're gifted to be on the field.

In order of last name:

Now what?

488552[/snapback]

I understand that TD is trying to play his younger players and try to develop them but for some of them have been with us for more than 2-3 years and haven't reached their potentials.