Be careful what you ask for..

How long does it traditionally take to develop a NFL caliber QB?

Hint: it's more than 4 games.

But you have no sense of history do you?

Answer: 3 - 5 years

487977[/snapback]

3-5 years is a long time to start a guy in order to figure out if he can be an NFL caliber player. Did we cut Collins and Johnson loose too quickly? And how many years of starter time did Holcomb get in order to develop?

I say you stay on the bench untill you are the best quarterback on the team, because there are a lot of guys with great creditionals that never pan out.

3-5 years is a long time to start a guy in order to figure out if he can be an NFL caliber player.  Did we cut Collins and Johnson loose too quickly?  And how many years of starter time did Holcomb get in order to develop?

I say you stay on the bench untill you are the best quarterback on the team, because there are a lot of guys with great creditionals that never pan out.

488262[/snapback]

i say 6 years is the median

overall, after all the dust settles, we must realize that it would have been much simpler to use the draft pick we used on Losman to go get a SOLID left tackle, use the Cap room we saved from bledsoe to go get another SOLID OL, and i dunno, just upgrade the damn line, keep Pat Williams or go sign someone just as good , ahem Corey Simon and keep a hermit as a QB.  Look at the chiefs, you could put me as the QB and they'd have a stellar passing game, its obvious that if KH had time to throw he would be successful, drafting QB's is like playing a lottery ticket, the odds of getting a winner are slim... Losman was a 1st round pick, correction he was a #20 over all pick.

He might turn out to be good but id rather have a good OL than a superstar QB

488258[/snapback]

I strongly agree with this post. Consider everything invested in Losman--2nd and 5th rounders for 2004, a 1st round pick for 2005. Had we simply thrown those picks at the offensive and defensive lines, while going with a QB who took his lumps at some other team's expense, things could have been a lot different this year.