Seeing the world through Bledsoe-colored glasses

Fake-Fat Sunny

It really amazes me how many people seem to worship at the Temple Bledsoe.

First you have folks who seem to claim he can do no wrong even if he had a disgusting season last year which flat-out showed that even his golden arm could not deliver even and adequate offense geared radically toward his throwing )believe Kevin Killdrive calling 30 something pass plays in a row on 3rd and less than 2 is radical).

Second though there are even the more hilarious posts and a column by that idiot Lenny PassthePotatoes at ESPN which attributes the Bills loss last Sunday to the Bills being too conservative and bending over backward to salvage Bledsoe's career.

Puhleeezzzee. Whether you focus too much attention and rely too much on Bledsoe' performance by declaring him the cause of our woes by being too pass happy or by being too run and short pass-happy, your analysis shares a common fault. The key to the Bills is not one players performance (or lack thereof) it is the TEAM's performance.

The Bills actually took a correct approach in my view by following the same line that delivered an SB appearance to NE and a win in a must win game where Bledsoe filled in for an injured Brady. Run the ball and have Bledsoe get rid of it quick rather than go into the patpatpatshufflesack which over-reliance on him tends to produce.

It amazes me how some folks seem addicted to Bledsoe and focusing too much attention on his play whether it is the undelying cause of the Bills woes or it isn't.

I guess this is typical in a league which was spoiled by the once in a generation or two convergence of QB talent caused by the draft class of 1983 and the prescence of Joe Montana. The successful QB in today's NFL are late draft picks like Tom Brady, UDFAs like Jake Delhomme and failed first round draft picks paid the league minimum like Trent Dilfer.

The last first round pick a team made which even brought them to an SB berth was when TN picked McNair in 1995 and the last 1st round pick that delivered an SB win for that team was Dallas taking Aikman way back in 1989.

Analysis of the Bills faults which starts with Bledsoe is simply incomplete at best and probably wrong if it ends with Bledsoe as well.

I wish Bledsoe worshippers love him or hate him were Bills worshippers instead.

Trent Dilfer has a SB ring...proof that a qb only needs to be adequate and not LOSE the game. It is a TEAM game. Bledsoe was adequate last week. The Team lost!! Go Bills

So basically what your saying is....J.P is going to be a flop?

<_<

35613[/snapback]

Its a strong possibility as our expectations are so high and many 1st rounders (see Mike Williams) disappoint.

The best thing that the Bills can do to develop Losman so that he contributes a whole bunch to the Bills is to not rudh him along. its tough, because this will mean resisting the fervent desires of us customers and as we all know in business, the customer is always right.

I never want any athlete to be injured, but one of the ironies here is that the injury to losman, assuming he recovers fully physically may turn out to be the best thing that can happen to his development.

I for one have seen Losman since we picked him as most appropriately our disaster QB this year. You learn alot playing the game against real competition and that must happen, but there are somethings which are great about Losman's game and also some things I think he needs to work on as all rookies do and some particular areas where he needs to improve from all I here and have seen.

From what I have seen of Losman and know of his history, these priority areas are probably best picked up through diligent study by him, some work under the watchful eye of NFL professionals and only third playing the game against real NFL players. He can actually do these first twp things with a broken wheel and in fact I think he can do them better by not having to worry about being prepared to play every week.

I hope that Losman's ear is surgically attached to Sam Wyche's mouth and that he can spend the majority of this season in the booth looking down at the game with a bird'seye view and learn why particular plays are run and why they worked or didn't work.

The practice field is an important place for him, but i think it is most important for him to learn and practice better throwing mechanics as he apparently has developed the habit of throwing off the wrong foot in order to maximize his own power and accuracy because he was often throwing on the run at Tulane.

I put a lot of stock in Kyle Boller saying during draft coverage that he loved starting last year, but was surprised to learn once he got hurt that there were things he learned being forced to sit and watch with no chance of playing that he never could have learned playing or distracted by preparing himself if he needed to play.

A 1st round drafted QB will eventually lead a team to SB victory (they usually lead about 25% of the teams that make it deep into the playoffs which I consider to be the 4 teams in the championship games. Last year was a special year for 1st rounders since thanks to some miscues by Farve 2 of the 4 teams were led by 1st round picks. However, as usual both Manning and McNabb fell short of their goal). Perhaps this QB will be Losman, I hope so. However, the next 1st round drated QB who reaches his ultimate goal in the NFL will be the first one to do so in quite awhile.

But Bledsoe should have batted the ball down instead of going for the interception.... <_<

35713[/snapback]

It would if the corner back just knocks down the ball

Bledsoe was annointed since he was in Pop Warner. The Golden Boy. Players like him come with an army of people singing their praises. Everyone buys into the hype. When they don't live up to expectations, it's never their fault because they are the Golden Boy.

Meanwhile, players like Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme just win. They are drafted in the low/middle rounds, and have to prove themselves. No one makes excuses for them.

The problem with too many people on this board is they don't trust their own eyes. Travis Brown could play well, but he will always "suck" because he's Travis Brown, a journeyman. Meanwhile Bledsoe can have a crap game, but because he didn't throw an INT, that's a reason for praise?

There is definitely a con job, and it seems to be coming from Donahoe himself. The guy has made too many bad moves. If Bledsoe fails, that could mean TD's job. Donahoe's reputation is riding on the Golden Boy.

PTR

First you have folks who seem to claim he can do no wrong even if he had a disgusting season last year which flat-out showed that even his golden arm could not deliver even and adequate offense geared radically toward his throwing )believe Kevin Killdrive calling 30 something pass plays in a row on 3rd and less than 2 is radical).

Second though there are even the more hilarious posts and a column by that idiot Lenny PassthePotatoes at ESPN which attributes the Bills loss last Sunday to the Bills being too conservative and bending over backward to salvage Bledsoe's career.

Puhleeezzzee. Whether you focus too much attention and rely too much on Bledsoe' performance by declaring him the cause of our woes by being too pass happy or by being too run and short pass-happy, your analysis shares a common fault.  The key to the Bills is not one players performance (or lack thereof) it is the TEAM's performance.

The Bills actually took a correct approach in my view by following the same line that delivered an SB appearance to NE and a win in a must win game where Bledsoe filled in for an injured Brady.  Run the ball and have Bledsoe get rid of it quick rather than go into the patpatpatshufflesack which over-reliance on him tends to produce.

It amazes me how some folks seem addicted to Bledsoe and focusing too much attention on his play whether it is the undelying cause of the Bills woes or it isn't.

I guess this is typical in a league which was spoiled by the once in a generation or two convergence of QB talent caused by the draft class of 1983 and the prescence of Joe Montana.  The successful QB in today's NFL are late draft picks like Tom Brady, UDFAs like Jake Delhomme and failed first round draft picks paid the league minimum like Trent Dilfer.

The last first round pick a team made which even brought them to an SB berth was when TN picked McNair in 1995 and the last 1st  round pick that delivered an SB win for that team was Dallas taking Aikman way back in 1989.

Analysis of the Bills faults which starts with Bledsoe is simply incomplete at best and probably wrong if it ends with Bledsoe as well.

35608[/snapback]

Ahhh, now im refreshed, I havent seen a the sky is down the ground is up, post in a while.

You may not like it but Drew Bledsoe holds the ball on EVERY offensive down! He also has to hold and throw the ball on EVERY passing down. So, looking through his glasses is pretty damn important. Furthermore, the QB position is ALWAYS going to be VERY important to a teams success. Weve been over this, I know you think the QB is just another DB or something, I cant squeeze water from a rock.

Puhleeezzzee. Whether you focus too much attention and rely too much on Bledsoe' performance by declaring him the cause of our woes by being too pass happy or by being too run and short pass-happy, your analysis shares a common fault.  The key to the Bills is not one players performance (or lack thereof) it is the TEAM's performance.

The Bills actually took a correct approach in my view by following the same line that delivered an SB appearance to NE and a win in a must win game where Bledsoe filled in for an injured Brady.  Run the ball and have Bledsoe get rid of it quick rather than go into the patpatpatshufflesack which over-reliance on him tends to produce.

I guess this is typical in a league which was spoiled by the once in a generation or two convergence of QB talent caused by the draft class of 1983 and the prescence of Joe Montana.  The successful QB in today's NFL are late draft picks like Tom Brady, UDFAs like Jake Delhomme and failed first round draft picks paid the league minimum like Trent Dilfer.

The last first round pick a team made which even brought them to an SB berth was when TN picked McNair in 1995 and the last 1st  round pick that delivered an SB win for that team was Dallas taking Aikman way back in 1989.

35608[/snapback]

One more thing, Im not sure your worthy of responses yet. I think you may still be in obscurity for wanting AVP or Jeff Blake as our starter, thank god for TD!

Bledsoe was annointed since he was in Pop Warner.  The Golden Boy.  Players like him come with an army of people singing their praises.  Everyone buys into the hype.  When they don't live up to expectations, it's never their fault because they are the Golden Boy.

Meanwhile, players like Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme just win.  They are drafted in the low/middle rounds, and have to prove themselves.  No one makes excuses for them.

The problem with too many people on this board is they don't trust their own eyes.  Travis Brown could play well, but he will always "suck" because he's Travis Brown, a journeyman.  Meanwhile Bledsoe can have a crap game, but because he didn't throw an INT, that's a reason for praise?

There is definitely a con job, and it seems to be coming from Donahoe himself.  The guy has made too many bad moves.  If Bledsoe fails, that could mean TD's job.  Donahoe's reputation is riding on the Golden Boy.

PTR

35895[/snapback]

Brady and Delhomme win because of their defenses. Take a look at the Pats' 2002 season, and the Panthers' MNF game against the Packers, for proof of that. They are also greatly benefitted by strong kicking games/ST's, offensive systems suited for their strengths, and overall, players doing their jobs. Without ALL of those, they don't win.

Its a strong possibility as our expectations are so high and many 1st rounders (see Mike Williams) disappoint.

The best thing that the Bills can do to develop Losman so that he contributes a whole bunch to the Bills is to not rudh him along.  its tough, because this will mean resisting the fervent desires of us customers and as we all know in business, the customer is always right.

I never want any athlete to be injured, but one of the ironies here is that the injury to losman, assuming he recovers fully physically may turn out to be the best thing that can happen to his development.

I for one have seen Losman since we picked him as most appropriately our disaster QB this year.  You learn alot playing the game against real competition and that must happen, but there are somethings which are great about Losman's game and also some things I think he needs to work on as all rookies do and some particular areas where he needs to improve from all I here and have seen.

From what I have seen of Losman and know of his history, these priority areas are probably best picked up through diligent study by him, some work under the watchful eye of NFL professionals and only third playing the game against real NFL players.  He can actually do these first twp things with a broken wheel and in fact I think he can do them better by not having to worry about being prepared to play every week.

I hope that Losman's ear is surgically attached to Sam Wyche's mouth and that he can spend the majority of this season in the booth looking down at the game with a bird'seye view and learn why particular plays are run and why they worked or didn't work.

The practice field is an important place for him, but i think it is most important for him to learn and practice better throwing mechanics as he apparently has developed the habit of throwing off the wrong foot in order to maximize his own power and accuracy because he was often throwing on the run at Tulane.

I put a lot of stock in Kyle Boller saying during draft coverage that he loved starting last year, but was surprised to learn once he got hurt that there were things he learned being forced to sit and watch with no chance of playing that he never could have learned playing or distracted by preparing himself if he needed to play.

A 1st round drafted QB will eventually lead a team to SB victory (they usually lead about 25% of the teams that make it deep into the playoffs which I consider to be the 4 teams in the championship games.  Last year was a special year for 1st rounders since thanks to some miscues by Farve 2 of the 4 teams were led by 1st round picks. However, as usual both Manning and McNabb fell short of their goal).  Perhaps this QB will be Losman, I hope so.  However, the next 1st round drated QB who reaches his ultimate goal in the NFL will be the first one to do so in quite awhile.

35801[/snapback]

Ohh yeah, the other part of the Barry Brady equation....Trade down all pick to the lowest possible round. If we could only have the next ten Mr. Irrelevants we would be set!

Ahhh, now im refreshed, I havent seen a the sky is down the ground is up, post in a while.

You may not like it but Drew Bledsoe holds the ball on EVERY offensive down! He also has to hold and throw the ball on EVERY passing down. So, looking through his glasses is pretty damn important. Furthermore, the QB position is ALWAYS going to be VERY important to a teams success. Weve been over this, I know you think the QB is just another DB or something, I cant squeeze water from a rock.

35900[/snapback]

I agree that Bledsoe holds the ball way to long looking to make the perfect throw with his perfect arm. Patpatpatshuffle sack is an accurate description of his play last year. if I were god (or TD and in charge of the Bills) I would have jettisoned Bledsoe while the jettisoning was good this past off-season as the Bills would have lost no cap room from cutting him and used the cap space we had to invest in getting another QB or two capable of pulling off the cap casualty or UDFA done job of getting a team to the SB which we have seen folks like Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Gannon, Warner, Dilfer, Collins, etc. have pulled off over the years.

However, even though I think that ALL of recent SB history indicates that a team can make it to and win it without a heavy investment in the QB position, i think it is possible to be competitive certainly (the first and next step in the Bills road back to respectability) by signing Bledsoe to a cap friendly deal.

I soply think there are three sides (at least) to this debate:

1. People who show their worship for Bledsoe by believing he can do anything when he can't.

2. People who also spend too much time focusing on Bledsoe by insisting he can do nothing right when the facts are he was a QB on an SB team early in his career (because a key factor was Parcells constnatly yelling throw the damn ball in practice) and also was the QB for NE in the majority of a must-win game (a key here was that he had to run a powered down O designed for Brady).

3. Those of us who would have prefered the Bills look elsewhere for their QB, but they didn't however and we still think we can win by using what Bledsoe does well strategically and have the O rely on running the ball rather than his arm.

Which position do you take, or is there some other formulation of options which you see?

I merely argue the Bills can win with Bledsoe as QB, but the key to winning with him seems to me the course the Bills are taking:

1. Rely on the run game and strategic use of the short pass as Belicheck has done in NE.

2. Use Bledsoe's arm as a threat to open up offensive options but constantly emphasize to him getting rid of the ball (even if simply OB unless he sees something right there) as Parcells did with his force of will and we seem to be doing with an alarm clock set to 4 seconds.

Perhaps you want to argue that all hope is lost and Bledsoe will never win anything. OK, but this view runs counter to what has happened in thereal world if the HC focuses on the TEAM instead of Bledsoe and I don;t know why anyone would hang around TSW anyway if they think it is hopeless for the Bills.

Ohh yeah, the other part of the Barry Brady equation....Trade down all pick to the lowest possible round. If we could only have the next ten Mr. Irrelevants we would be set!

35905[/snapback]

Well consider this...Steve McNair is the last 1st round pick to take his team to the Super Bowl since John Elway.

And for the guy who says Brady and Delhomme win with defense only, you have your head somewhere dark and stinky. Brady is a tremendous QB who has led his team to victory from behind more than any QB since Elway. It sucks to admit it, but Brady is the real deal...Bledsoe is not. Why do you think the Pats traded him to US?

PTR

35905[/snapback]

Well consider this...Steve McNair is the last 1st round pick to take his team to the Super Bowl since John Elway.

And for the guy who says Brady and Delhomme win with defense only, you have your head somewhere dark and stinky. Brady is a tremendous QB who has led his team to victory from behind more than any QB since Elway. It sucks to admit it, but Brady is the real deal...Bledsoe is not. Why do you think the Pats traded him to US?

PTR

36192[/snapback]

So what about 2002, PTR? Why couldn't Tom Brady get the defending SB Pats even into the playoffs? Yep that's right, because his defense wasn't that good. You see to make all those 4th quarter comebacks, you need a defense that can prevent the opposition from scoring, keeping the game close to say, within a FG (i.e. Brady's patented last-minute drive). Maybe if the Pats were an offensive machine like the early 90's Bills were, you'd have a point. However they win most of their games, namely in the playoffs, by close margins. And as was said, it helps to have a great kicker.

35608[/snapback]

Nicely worded post but basically bunk. we wouldn't need to focus on DB if we had the '85 bears D or the '01?? Ravens D..but since our D is just above average--we need a good -quick thinking,clutch QB...and who would that be??????--all I can say is "NOT DB."

Nicely worded post but basically bunk. we wouldn't need to focus on DB if we had the '85 bears D or the '01?? Ravens D..but since our D is just above average--we need a good -quick thinking,clutch QB...and who would that be??????--all I can say is "NOT DB."

36432[/snapback]

Talk about bunk. When you can limit your opponent to 6 points for 58 minutes of a game and your offense can only score 10 points because they keep shooting themselves in the foot (excluding the QB), 7 of which are set-up by the defense with other turnovers generated to help out the offense, you don't have a "just above average" defense. Go back to class.

Brady and Delhomme win because of their defenses.  Take a look at the Pats' 2002 season, and the Panthers' MNF game against the Packers, for proof of that.  They are also greatly benefitted by strong kicking games/ST's, offensive systems suited for their strengths, and overall, players doing their jobs.  Without ALL of those, they don't win.

35903[/snapback]

Huhhh???..well--yes I COMPLETELY agree with you..and I am sure belicek does too...so lets just go and ask him reeeaaall nicely....and I am sure belicek would be happy to swap Brady for Bledsoe...after alll---its the D whichwon NE 2 superbowls.