The Bills have got to start drafting for

no more project wide receivers or running backs.

Williams is hurt constantly, Villariel's plays like a malnurished school girl when he doesn't have a tummy ache. Then we have a finess tackle from Denver playing center, and a free agent castoff playing left tackle. Simply put, this line sucks and really needs an overhaul.

The defensive line can't hold up or penetrate against most quality offensive linemen. We need to draft some big strong interior linemen that are impact players not development material.

I can't remember the last time I saw good line play by the Bills offense, and the defensive line has been average since the last days of "the package" with Big Ted Washington playing alongside Fat Pat.

Both lines have been built on the cheap, and they show it.

You think? Wait, there might be a gem of FB or WR who we never thought would be there...After we take this stud, we'll move our future #1 pick to draft a high motor white guy from the Mountain West in the early 2nd...

Until TD leaves, or has the onions to hire a headcoach with the moxy to tell him he's wrong, we're stuck with this lemon....

i say this every year. when i look back at the success the Redskins had with QB's such as Theeesman, Rypien, Schreoder...et. al., you have to believe that if you have a solid OL you can win despite who the QB is.

You think?  Wait, there might be a gem of FB or WR who we never thought would be there...After we take this stud, we'll move our future #1 pick to draft a high motor white guy from the Mountain West in the early 2nd...

Until TD leaves, or has the onions to hire a headcoach with the moxy to tell him he's wrong, we're stuck with this lemon....

484877[/snapback]

I read Jerry's comments after the game, where he said that the offensive linemen for the Raiders were big "real big" so he goes on to say that our defense had to attack them from the outside rather than head-on. Wouldn't that philosophy leave your middle exposed against the run???

This guy is frightening as a coach.

I read Jerry's comments after the game, where he said that the offensive linemen for the Raiders were big "real big" so he goes on to say that our defense had to attack them from the outside rather than head-on. Wouldn't that philosophy leave your middle exposed against the run???

This guy is frightening as a coach.

484900[/snapback]

Wow, if this is true that is just sad. The Raiders were such an running power house before this game I can understand why Jerry needed to think of something this crafty. :angry:

"The games are won and lost in the trenches". I heard that 50 years ago; somebody might wish to pass that on to TD. You can have all the glory-boys in the world but if you can't block or defend :angry: , forget about winning.

Wow, if this is true that is just sad. The Raiders were such an running power house before this game I can understand why Jerry needed to think of something this crafty. :angry:

484909[/snapback]

Here's the quote,

"They're real big," defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said of the Oakland offensive linemen. "You can't penetrate the inside. So the thing you've got to do is try to attack them on the outside. Then when you get one-on-ones (on the outside), you've got to win. Earlier (in the game) we won. Later on we didn't. When they get in run situations you've got to bulk up inside and stop the run. It wasn't anything fancy."

So as not to misrepresent what Jerry said, he does say you bulk up inside against run situations - this begs the question: Does Gray and this defense recognise run situations, or are opposing teams simply saying any situation can be a run situation against this defense? Because as we have all noticed, we have been caught blitzing the edges and out of position on many running plays this year.

I think it is a case of both too many blitzes taking our guys out of the play, and ineffective penetration and tackling when playing the run.

no more project wide receivers or running backs.

Williams is hurt constantly, Villariel's plays like a malnurished school girl when he doesn't have a tummy ache. Then we have a finess tackle from Denver playing center, and a free agent castoff playing left tackle. Simply put, this line sucks and really needs an overhaul.

The defensive line can't hold up or penetrate against most quality offensive linemen. We need to draft some big strong interior linemen that are impact players not development material.

I can't remember the last time I saw good line play by the Bills offense, and the defensive line has been average since the last days of "the package" with Big Ted Washington playing alongside Fat Pat.

Both lines have been built on the cheap, and they show it.

484868[/snapback]

Sure- the Bills need to build an offensive line.

Maybe in year six of Donahoes' rebuilding effort he will seriously address it.

Of course...I'm not a GM.....thus, not as smart as Donahoe.....only he has the vision to begin building a decent/ average offensive line in the sixth year of hs rebuilding effort!

Not to disagree, but look where the Pats Oline starters were drafted.  Same with the Broncos' great line.  They can both rotate players in and out.  Bottom line - ignoring the Oline goes to a larger problem of the overall competance of the team.

484991[/snapback]

Is it coaching?

Why are our starters always sick or winded or injured. There is no heart in that group, and you are right about one thing. Drafting is not the answer, if the talent our scouts are high on resemble the crap we have come up with on our offensive lines the last few years.

McNally was pretty highly regarded, but he needs something to work with - and he thought that the tools he was working with were poor when he was with the Giants. Lord only knows how he is kicking himself now working with the stiffs that we have.