kyle orton showing progress

Johnny

I agree with the John Adams quote completely, and JP couldn't do it, and he is now on the bench because of it, and the Bills won. That is not difficult to understand. What's difficult to understand is why didn't MM and TC give him the same game plan we used in the last two weeks. Run a lot, run more and throw short safe passes. They don;t have to be the same safe short passes that KH was told to do, and can do far better than JP does right now. But they could have been the kind of safe short passes that JP can make now, like the plays on the run that Plummer does, WR screens, quick dump offs, etc. Not asking him to ddrop back seven steps, survey the field, avoid the rush of Greg Jerman and Duke Preston and trey Teague's men, and gun the ball 10, 20, 30 yards downfield. 

All this really does, IMO, is prolong JP's taking over of the team by as little as a half season and as much as a full season. It really doesn't mean all that much except we'll probably be a little better this season and a little worse next season than we would be if we took our lumps now.

478538[/snapback]

Perhaps you are right about the running game, but all that had JP due was throw short to medium routes and he was badly overthrowing or underthrowing those fairly easy passes time after time. In general, JP's failure to convert third downs drastically changed the course of the game and it's hard to really compare the game plans for each QBs because of that fact.

The difference between JPL and Jake Plummer is that during Plummer's first season, he was quickly showing flashes of amazing talent, running and throwing quick, accurate balls. His problem were INTs, not complete inaccuracy.

Isn't it likely that JPL will be getting in the game again anyways? I don't mean that the Bills season will fall apart (which I am always worrying about no matter how rosy the picture is) but Holcomb has had injury problems in the past and I am sure there will be some games where the outcome is no longer in doubt and they will give Losman some reps.

Just posted this in another , but....

From Peter King's column:

7. I think I could listen to Peyton Manning talk about quarterbacking for a long time. Manning on whether a rookie quarterback should play right away or soak up rookie knowledge and sit: "I say play, play, play, play, play, play. That is what I did. The sooner you play, the sooner you taste the live bullets on the field. You get to see what the blitz is like and you know where your receiver is going to be. You can only learn so much on a chalk board. I wish Eli could have played early. The sooner you play, the sooner you get used to the speed of the game. My rookie year, I got more and more comfortable every single week. That's really what it's all about.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...qb.week6/4.html

478366[/snapback]

Career advice is usually just telling people what worked for you. What helped Manning may not be crucial for other QBs. Brady, Pennington, blah, blah.

Orton a winner over Baltimores D no less...........in week 3 he threw 5 interceptions at home to cincinnati while JP was within one score and a 2pt vs. Atlanta

in week 4 kyle got the bye while JP was sent to the bench trailing in the 4th quarter by less than a touchdown to the saints

I agree with the John Adams quote completely, and JP couldn't do it, and he is now on the bench because of it, and the Bills won. That is not difficult to understand. What's difficult to understand is why didn't MM and TC give him the same game plan we used in the last two weeks. Run a lot, run more and throw short safe passes. They don;t have to be the same safe short passes that KH was told to do, and can do far better than JP does right now. But they could have been the kind of safe short passes that JP can make now, like the plays on the run that Plummer does, WR screens, quick dump offs, etc. Not asking him to ddrop back seven steps, survey the field, avoid the rush of Greg Jerman and Duke Preston and trey Teague's men, and gun the ball 10, 20, 30 yards downfield. 

All this really does, IMO, is prolong JP's taking over of the team by as little as a half season and as much as a full season. It really doesn't mean all that much except we'll probably be a little better this season and a little worse next season than we would be if we took our lumps now.

478538[/snapback]

Kelly, I think people are bent on ignoring these questions over the last

2 weeks...I am happy the bills wons those two games....but with the

teams we played and the way our D/ST and running game played, JP

would have won them too....Bottomline is we are going for a couple of

wins that mask all the ills of this team and also messing up the QB

of the future.

Kelly,  I think people are bent on ignoring these questions over the last

2 weeks...I am happy the bills wons those two games....but with the

teams we played and the way our D/ST and running game played, JP

would have won them too....Bottomline is we are going for a couple of

wins that mask all the ills of this team and also messing up the QB

of the future.

484198[/snapback]

I have serious doubts about JP's ability to be the QB of the future. He hasn't shown the flashes of brilliance you'd expect.

As for Holcomb, he completed over 70% of his passes today. Not bad for a guy who's only started 16 games, who played today without a running game or an offensive line, who only got introduced to the Mike Mularkey/Tom Clements offense a few months ago, and who got only a small share of the reps in all those training camps and practices.