No Patdowns at HOU - CIN game

stuckincincy

No Pat-Downs At Bengals Game This Weekend After All

Reported by: 9News

Web produced by: Liz Foreman

Photographed by: 9News

Last updated: 9/30/2005 4:29:04 PM

On-air coverage update: 9News' Shannon Kettler will have a live report on this story on 9News @ 6 p.m.

"There will be no pat-downs at this weekend's Cincinnati Bengals' home game after all.

The problem centers around a legality: the Bengals cannot pay a security firm to do searches and pay for it with county tax dollars.

Lawyers for Hamilton County agreed out of court with the Bengals late Friday afternoon that the pat-downs will be put on hold until "they can do it the right way," according to County Commissioner Pat DeWine.

It's unclear at this point what the "right way" is.

The Bengals say that the pat-downs are mandated by the NFL. "

The pat downs are soooo ridiculous. At the first two games, the guard who patted me down touched both sides of my torso for about an eighth of a second and lifted my hat. So, If i had a bomb strapped to my ribcage or the standard "top of the head bomb" (used by so many terrorists nowadays), I would have been busted. But if i had anything on my back, chest, or (and i know this is a stretch) my POCKETS, i would have gotten through scott free. I know it's impossible to do a full pat down with 75,000+ people, but that is exactly the point. Unless you are going to do a thorough job, why do it at all? How about RANDOM pat downs if you really need to make people "feel secure". This whole thing is ridiculous, and i almost didn't have time to get a beer before kickoff because of it.

Before the cancellation, I heard the tail end of an official fellow of some sort being asked questions about it on the local radio. I wish I had heard al his words, because something didn't seem possible.

The plan was to start the pat-downs 4 hours before kick-off - 9AM. But the gates would open at the normal time - 11:30 AM.

So, if you went through that security at 9 AM for some reason, where are you for the next 2 1/2 hours? You can't go in the stadium... B-)

Maybe there is a future for TSA! Get them out of the airports and over to the sports stadiums.

Maybe we could even have SKY BOX MARSHALLS. Dress them in suits and don't serve them any alchohol, and let them sit down in front, so they kind of blend in.

This is so GOOD that AL GORE will try to take credit for it! B-)