Once Upon A Time -

Bob Lamb

I must admit that I enjoyed the Monday Night spectaclr at Rich and thanl Bob for the memories, but I also am glad that they are simply fun memories because those spectacles were generally a disaster to go to. Traffic flow at Rich in the old days was a monster in the best of times with nice weather on a sunny day. However taking on the traffic flow after work in the dark was simply yuuuch.

I would always tell folks after traveling across country on a night flight that I took the redeye every 4 or 5 years to remind myself why i never to the redeye and the Monday nighters at the Ralph were about the same for me.

I think the last one I went to was one against the Rams where some Frank Reich heroics salvaged the game for us. However, we missed the kickoff and the fun of tailgating as we got our act together after work and since it involved the paymaster and not God there was no forgiveness if we snuck out of our duties early so we got to the game when we got to the game.

We actually were pretty close to the Ralph at kickoff time, but we spend much of the first quarter waiting at a stoplight while they let folks through 20 at a time alternating turns.

We quickly ran into the stadium, so of course nobody remebered where we parked. Fortunately we saw the bright yellow van we parked behind in a slowly moving line and where able to walk toward it and find out where he parked.

We got home late invigorated by the win, looked like crap the next day around work amd my guess is we were pretty unproductive the whole week but we had a great time.

The memories are fun, but it does remind me of folks talking about their old days at school where they had to get up before they went to sleep, walk uphill both ways both to and from school, and slog miles through the snow and arrive with wet shoes (what you had shoes? Boy were you lucky.

I feel sorry for the kids and yunguns today because they never get the Monday night pleasure since the Bills adopted a regional marketing strategy that insists on 1:00 Sunday starts (with the occaisonal 4:15 if we have too but they owe us bigtime). However, I must admit that this old fogey feels like the youngins are on their own and I enjoy curling up with a brewski to watch the Bills on Monday or Sunday night playing on the left coast or up in New England.

Ahh the good ol days.

The 1974 MNF opener classic vs. the Raiders did not sell out, nor did the 1975 game vs. the Giants when the Bills were 4-0 (or somewhere near there...the Giants game was when some hooligan climbed out on the cable that held the netting behind the goal post).

Also remember a MNF game in 1984 (?) vs. the Fish that was blacked out.

458163[/snapback]

I think there was a Houston MNF game back in the day that was also blacked out. Those days were a little before my time, though -