SOB...the wheels have come offm haven't they?

duey

Wow...what a differnce two weeks makes. The day after the Texans game, we were all pretty happy...though acknowledging that JP needed some work getting the ball into the endzone. The D was a terror and we looked like things were going as we all had hoped.

Two weeks later JP has regressed (or come back to reality) worse than anyone could have imagined, and the D is now terribly damaged and on the ropes.

What do we do? If JP doesn't improve next week against the Saints, I say we sit him for a couple of games to clear his head and let him watch Holcomb try to get things done. The D is a tough one...just plug Crowell in there and hope for the best, while at the same time try to figure out exactly why we can't stop the run (apart from the fact that Phat Pat is no longer parked in the middle).

(sigh) Let's hang in there folks. It's a long season...and sure, it could easily become a VERY long season, but let's hope things can turn around in the next couple of weeks.

Wow...what a differnce two weeks makes.  The day after the Texans game, we were all pretty happy...though acknowledging that JP needed some work getting the ball into the endzone.  The D was a terror and we looked like things were going as we all had hoped.

Two weeks later JP has regressed (or come back to reality) worse than anyone could have imagined, and the D is now terribly damaged and on the ropes.

What do we do?  If JP doesn't improve next week against the Saints, I say we sit him for a couple of games to clear his head and let him watch Holcomb try to get things done.  The D is a tough one...just plug Crowell in there and hope for the best, while at the same time try to figure out exactly why we can't stop the run (apart from the fact that Phat Pat is no longer parked in the middle).

(sigh)  Let's hang in there folks.  It's a long season...and sure, it could easily become a VERY long season, but let's hope things can turn around in the next couple of weeks.

455646[/snapback]

Good post, Duey. We never know.

I agree, Duey. And the thing is... it's not where we are right now that concerns me. We have, what seems to be a winnable game on paper this next week, and we could be back to .500, with our losses coming to NFC teams not affecting tiebreakers at all. The thing that worries me is how we've gotten here. JP seems to not be seeing the field whatsoever. On one play yesterday where he tried to check down to McGahee he had a wide open Moulds streaking to the endzone. And breakdowns like that should be expected with a secondary made up of guys off waivers and the street. We still couldn't capitalize on it. I love JP's ability, but I think we are going to have to live with this type of play for the majority of this year from him, at least.

What's most alarming at this point is, arguably the most dynamic player this franchise has ever had at LB might have bit the dust for good on Sunday a la Sam Cowart. Crowell has been around for a few years now and had some potential coming out of college, so we have reason to believe he could be a decent starter... but come on, if you had to pick 1 guy we couldn't lose it's gotta be Spikes. It's just unbelievable how bad things look right now for a team that we all believed was entering a window of time to contend for a championship back in '03. It's like the window is closing before it ever opened.

Wow...what a differnce two weeks makes.  The day after the Texans game, we were all pretty happy...though acknowledging that JP needed some work getting the ball into the endzone.  The D was a terror and we looked like things were going as we all had hoped.

What do we do?  If JP doesn't improve next week against the Saints, I say we sit him for a couple of games to clear his head and let him watch Holcomb try to get things done.  The D is a tough one...just plug Crowell in there and hope for the best, while at the same time try to figure out exactly why we can't stop the run (apart from the fact that Phat Pat is no longer parked in the middle).

(sigh)  Let's hang in there folks.  It's a long season...and sure, it could easily become a VERY long season, but let's hope things can turn around in the next couple of weeks.

455646[/snapback]

How about Jason Peters as a defensive tackle? Could he be wosre than Edwards/Bannan/Anderson/Sape? He might be a force.

Ok, I've rationalized it all away.... This is what I'm telling myself.

It's football, and you love football. Just watch it for the sport and enjoy it no matter the outcome. You've got a new QB that will come into his own, remember Manning. Sure, the D is hurt. Good teams play around an injured player. It's a taste of home, enjoy it for that. Your trophy is coming sooner or later.

See? I feel much better now.

:devil:

455646[/snapback]

Good post.

How about Jason Peters as a defensive tackle? Could he be wosre than Edwards/Bannan/Anderson/Sape? He might be a force.

455767[/snapback]

Ya know, thats not a half bad idea.

455843[/snapback]

A lot better than OT, left or right. He was supposed to be a top prospect for college as DT. P.S. Sam Adams also did not look too great either.