Thoughts on Falcons loss...

Rat-boy

- I understand Willis was running wild, but down 8, wouldn't you expect a few more passes down the stretch? Why commit the game to a banged up D and the running game? I felt there was bad playcalling, unless TC/MM don't have the confidence in JP at this time to ask him to perform in the clutch...in which case their comments to the media for the last few weeks have been bunkum. <_< This is not a knock on JP, but if you're going to give a young QB experience, that would have been the time. The Falcons had a JV secondary out there due to injury.

- Tom Brady is really, really good. :blush: Say what you want about great O-line play, but Brady makes good decisions 99% of the time regardless of the pressure or lack thereof. It doesn't hurt that his receivers seem open almost every time he throws the ball (compare to Moulds, Evans et al. whenever JP is under pressure.) Are defenses playing harder man on the Balls because they don't think JP can beat them?

- I don't like the pundits suddenly ragging on Pennington's "noodle arm." The Jests offense seems to be based on good QB-receiver timing and good route running. So far, the timing seems to be off, so calling Pennington's lack of arm strength the problem is the usual "don't see the forest for the trees" analysis :( Seems to be an insipid and irrelevant way to criticize the Jest's lack of efficiency on offense.

- Didn't see the Felons' game, but as usual, they appear to have played better at home than away.

Here's hoping all our injured warriors get healthy in time to make this season worthwhile. :doh:

Thoughts?

- I understand Willis was running wild, but down 8, wouldn't you expect a few more passes down the stretch? Why commit the game to a banged up D and the running game? I felt there was bad playcalling, unless TC/MM don't have the confidence in JP at this time to ask him to perform in the clutch...in which case their comments to the media for the last few weeks have been bunkum.

In the 4th qrtr of a one possession game the Bills called Willis' number 6 times and called 9 pass plays. I think that's appropriate balance for the situation.

When you consider that in that 4th qrtr Willis' 6 carries accounted for 32 yrds and JP's 9 passplays resulted in a pick, a fumble and -6 yards of offense, maybe we should have hoped for a few more carries down teh stretch.

I don't like the pundits suddenly ragging on Pennington's "noodle arm." The Jests offense seems to be based on good QB-receiver timing and good route running. So far, the timing seems to be off, so calling Pennington's lack of arm strength the problem is the usual "don't see the forest for the trees" analysis. Seems to be an insipid and irrelevant way to criticize the Jest's lack of efficiency on offense.

I don't think it's sudden by any means, that's been a knock on him since well before the offseason surgery. And usually I'd agree with you because I consider arm strenght to be one of a QB's lesser advantages. But watching him both on and off the field you can really tell it's a legitimate problem and one that's not likely to go away any time soon. I think the Jets are in real trouble for the first time in a few years.

Tom Brady is really, really good. Say what you want about great O-line play, but Brady makes good decisions 99% of the time regardless of the pressure or lack thereof. It doesn't hurt that his receivers seem open almost every time he throws the ball (compare to Moulds, Evans et al. whenever JP is under pressure.) Are defenses playing harder man on the Balls because they don't think JP can beat them?

I'd be willing to bet that if JP were to throw the ball in the right place at the right time ala Brady, then we might be surprised at how open one of our receivers is on most plays. JP's biggest problem right now seems to be that he's reluctant to let go of the ball on time. Brady's had the time and seen enough positive results to learn to trust his own judgement, it's going to be a while before Losman has the courage to do that.

Before he can be a good QB, he's going to have to start playing some good QB.

Or something like that. :(

-Jp cant throw for dick thats why we didnt throw it. we were moving the ball very well on the ground, we were down by 8 with 8 minutes to go in the game. there was a lot of clock and a 2 point conversion could have tied it. if not we could have still held them and gone for a fieldgoal to win it. Not throwing the ball simply shows that JP is not ready. Overthrows recievers, hesitates on passes, bad decision making, throws too high. JP has a lot of work to do in practice this week if he wants to even be worthy of being a starter in this league and tell people he considers himself as good as big ben and eli manning.

In the 4th qrtr of a one possession game the Bills called Willis' number 6 times and called 9 pass plays. I think that's appropriate balance for the situation.

When you consider that in that 4th qrtr Willis' 6 carries accounted for 32 yrds and JP's 9 passplays resulted in a pick, a fumble and -6 yards of offense, maybe we should have hoped for a few more carries down teh stretch.

I don't think it's sudden by any means, that's been a knock on him since well before the offseason surgery. And usually I'd agree with you because I consider arm strenght to be one of a QB's lesser advantages. But watching him both on and off the field you can really tell it's a legitimate problem and one that's not likely to go away any time soon. I think the Jets are in real trouble for the first time in a few years.

I'd be willing to bet that if JP were to throw the ball in the right place at the right time ala Brady, then we might be surprised at how open one of our receivers is on most plays. JP's biggest problem right now seems to be that he's reluctant to let go of the ball on time. Brady's had the time and seen enough positive results to learn to trust his own judgement, it's going to be a while before Losman has the courage to do that.

Before he can be a good QB, he's going to have to start playing some good QB.

Or something like that.  <_<

454627[/snapback]

Nice post Simon. I didn't realize we had such balance in the 4th Quarter...obviously I need to drink less. :(

Everyone was giving Sabine a hard time for going with 2 QBs into the season opener. Well, it apears that Gus has jumped up and snagged the spot, and having a clear starter is making things easier in Miami. His accuracy (Yeah, its weird to type that) is great, and he's making good decisions in the pocket. Ronnie Brown is running better every game, and while he doesnt have the breakout season that Cadillac is having, he's going to be alright. And so you know, Feely is back to being third string.