Moulds overrated?

Anybody at the game could see Moulds was the best player for the Bills on the field.  He is the Bills best weapon when he is healthy.  He is simply their most gifted and athletic player.

32987[/snapback]

Moulds has developed alligator arms since the middle of the 2002 season.

He doesn't stretch for the ball or jump for the ball when there is the potential for being hit. His size combined with the stretching and jumping made him a ProBowl type player. He's worried about getting hurt and is playing soft.

I never saw a receiver miss so many balls thrown his way than Moulds did last year. Once you get hurt you either play tentatively or you throw caution to the wind and go after every ball. Eric has chosen the former over the latter.

It doesn't make him a bad guy, just a guy into self preservation.

I am a huge Eric Moulds fan, even though I'm not a Bills' fan. I think that he has had an extraordinary career in the context of who he has had throwing him the ball and who he has had lining up across from him. In his prime years, I would say that only Peerless in '02 represents a big season opposite him - Reed was slowing down by the time Moulds got going. He caught Kelly and Drew on the downside of their careers, and had subpar QB's RJ, Collins and Flutie throwing ducks at him mostly through his own prime. He's had a lot of double coverage and very little consistency in terms of offensive personnel and coaching throughout his career.

Clearly Harrison has been the best of that noted WR bunch from the '96 draft, but he's also had the easiest road - a very good QB, an excellent OC in Tom Moore for 7 years now, and great versatile backs in Faulk and James who keep the defense honest on passing downs. I think Eric compares very favorably to Glenn and Keyshawn on all fronts - I would argue that Moulds has faced the most adversity of the four (that wasn't self-inflicted).

It would be interesting if you could swap Moulds and Harrison in the draft in '96, and you could compare their careers now. I concede that he's an old 31 at this point (especially tough to age quickly at WR) and that the ghosts of hits past may be surfacing at times on the field, but I think it is entirely expected in light of the difficult road he has faced to become great as a wideout.

Make no mistake about it - Eric Moulds is a great player.

Moulds is fair game. He cost us Sunday and needs to step up if we are to make the playoffs. I live in Moss country and see what a dominating receiver can do for a team's offense. Moulds can be in that category if he can get over the funk he's been in post injury. B)

Eric moulds has been and has the potential to be a top 5 WR. To be a top 5 WR you need a combination of all or some of a great QB, HB, other WR, blocking line, TE. Or you need to be in a completely different league, like randy moss. Although, moss had those great offenses too, so who knows how he'd be on a team of scrubs (like the bills under flutie, johnson, and collins). If reed or evans catch one single pass for more than 15 yards on sunday, i guarentee that moulds will have one of 30 yards or more after.