OL blocking schemes...who designs them

LabattBlue

As I continue to be disappointed by the lack of holes for WM to run through, I was wondering who is it that designs the blocking schemes for each play....McNally or Clements? I realize no one probably has the inside info to answer this question, but it is one that has been bothering me since McNally was brought on board. I really thought the OL would make some strides this year in terms of run blocking and that JP would automatically make them look better in terms of pass blocking because of his mobility.

As I continue to be disappointed by the lack of holes for WM to run through, I was wondering who is it that designs the blocking schemes for each play....McNally or Clements? 

445942[/snapback]

I'm not convinced it's all blocking. The whole right side of the line is intact from last year, so there should be some continuity there. From what I can see, Gandy and Anderson have been about on par with JJ and whoever was plugged in at guard.

The difference appears to be more in the way of WM's hesitency at the point of attack. He's either waiting too long to hit the assigned hole (if it's there) or not cutting back quickly enough when the D overpursues. His leg drive doesn't seem to be as intense as last year either, when he often carried tacklers 2-3 extra yards after contact.

I'm not putting it totally on Willis, but he's looked only OK for one-and-a-half quarters out of the eight played so far this year. He's got to step it up and at least be a more punishing runner even if the blocking is marginal. He needs to run like a 230 pound back--not Shaud Williams.

The coaches have to design a passing game that'll back the safeties off so there are fewer 8 man fronts as well. But there were games last year when teams overcommited to stopping Willis--and couldn't. It was probably the quality of the competition, but I think it bears watching.

I'm not convinced it's all blocking.  The whole right side of the line is intact from last year, so there should be some continuity there.  From what I can see, Gandy and Anderson have been about on par with JJ and whoever was plugged in at guard.

The difference appears to be more in the way of WM's hesitency at the point of attack.  He's either waiting too long to hit the assigned hole (if it's there) or not cutting back quickly enough when the D overpursues.  His leg drive doesn't seem to be as intense as last year either, when he often carried tacklers 2-3 extra yards after contact.

I'm not putting it totally on Willis, but he's looked only OK for one-and-a-half quarters out of the eight played so far this year.  He's got to step it up and at least be a more punishing runner even if the blocking is marginal.  He needs to run like a 230 pound back--not Shaud Williams. 

The coaches have to design a passing game that'll back the safeties off so there are fewer 8 man fronts as well.  But there were games last year when teams overcommited to stopping Willis--and couldn't.  It was probably the quality of the competition, but I think it bears watching.

446022[/snapback]

He should have watched Cadillac run and then he'd stop dancing and tip toeing and try and run hard and thru opponenets more than just trying to run around them. He has the ability to do it. While I'm denitely not starting a Henry bandwagon trail, the one thing I did like about Henry was that he always ran hard and with effort, fighting for extra yards; something Willis doesn't always do.

He should have watched Cadillac run and then he'd stop dancing and tip toeing and try and run hard and thru opponenets more than just trying to run around them. He has the ability to do it. While I'm denitely not starting a Henry bandwagon trail, the one thing I did like about Henry was that he always ran hard and with effort, fighting for extra yards; something Willis doesn't always do.

446042[/snapback]

Especially against those yard line markers last year. Although the chalk seemed to get the better of him last year.

Yeah and how is Travis doing with a much better QB and Oline in Tenny. Oh that right, about 3 yards a friggen carry.

As I continue to be disappointed by the lack of holes for WM to run through, I was wondering who is it that designs the blocking schemes for each play....McNally or Clements?  I realize no one probably has the inside info to answer this question, but it is one that has been bothering me since McNally was brought on board.  I really thought the OL would make some strides this year in terms of run blocking and that JP would automatically make them look better in terms of pass blocking because of his mobility.

445942[/snapback]

8 guys in the box. You can't block 8 guys with 5 lineman. They didn't respect our passing game and obviously didn't have to.

8 guys in the box. You can't block 8 guys with 5 lineman. They didn't respect our passing game and obviously didn't have to.

446060[/snapback]

We faced a few 8-man fronts last year and Willis seemed determined to run over people if necessary to get his yards. This year, he seems more inclined to make people miss. Too soon to call it a trend. And no, I don't want TH back on my team (although I was getting a little Cadillac-envy yesterday :doh: )

Wouldn't two TEs and Shelton make it 8-on-8 when the Bills go smashmouth against a stacked front D? Then it becomes imposing your will vs. a simple numerical mismatch. Something's not clicking yet.

We faced a few 8-man fronts last year and Willis seemed determined to run over people if necessary to get his yards.  This year, he seems more inclined to make people miss.  Too soon to call it a trend.  And no, I don't want TH back on my team (although I was getting a little Cadillac-envy yesterday  :doh: )

Wouldn't two TEs and Shelton make it 8-on-8 when the Bills go smashmouth against a stacked front D?  Then it becomes imposing your will vs. a simple numerical mismatch.  Something's not clicking yet.

446098[/snapback]

The problem is, Gandy needed Campbells help on Rice, or Rice would have killed us. What other TW do we have that's not hurt?

Shelton was horrible blocking yesterday. He probably should not have even been on the field.

The problem is, Gandy needed Campbells help on Rice, or Rice would have killed us.  What other TE do we have that's not hurt? 

Shelton was horrible blocking yesterday.  He probably should not have even been on the field.

446106[/snapback]

Put Peters in as a blocking TE (he's better than Neufeld) and run away from Rice, just like teams used to do with Bruce. You're right about Shelton, though.

My question is did you see Tampa with 8 men in the box on every running play or are you making that assumption based on lack of respect for the Bills passing game.

446594[/snapback]

Oh, my bad. They played 8 in the box quite a bit yesterday. That is why the Bills kept running those quick out patterns that JP was overthrowing by 10 yards.