Let's hope this gets done.

Mile High

winfield......when he wasn't resigned many on this board offered the premise "we can't pay two CB's that kind of money and nate needs to be paid soon".........well, here we are and now people are ready to let nate walk based on the premise "we can't pay him that money because we need to sign the big 3 soon"........the stances of some have changed as nate looks less and less likely to be signed long-term.......i just want to see good young players rewarded and kept around......they are the core of the team.........

435995[/snapback]

But are the same people making those arguments?

OK... winfield... another person who signed for beaucoup bucks somewhere else... and by the way someone without whom the Bills had the #2 defense in the league last year.... I still don't see the need to claim that the Bills will let all good young players walk...

436026[/snapback]

will losman, mcgahee, and evans not command "beaucoup buck" if they live up to expectations? at some point, you have to start spending to stay/become competitive......letting good young talent walk will not accomplish that goal........

will losman, mcgahee, and evans not command "beaucoup buck" if they live up to expectations? at some point, you have to start spending to stay/become competitive......letting good young talent walk will not accomplish that goal........

436096[/snapback]

everyone here knows TD's style. he wont pay the big buck. unfortunately this is most likely playmaker's last year with us. hence them grooming mcgee and drafting eric king. all of our defensive studs keep getting swept away by damn free agency.

436096[/snapback]

Of course they will, and whether they stay in B-Lo or not will depend on a great variety of circumstances. The point I am making is that it is flat out wrong to assert that TD has a track record of letting young talent walk without having replacements. Whether he will suddenly start doing so in the future is something that no one can know. My guess is some people will stay and others will leave, and there is no overall conspiracy by TD against the future of the Bills... But the controversies can rage on anyway. That's what makes message boards so much dysfunctional fun.... :w00t:

But Big Mike and Moulds are worth $9M a year (both likely to be restructured)? Next year, out of an $80+M cap, I don't think that's too much to pay for one of, if not the, best CBs in the league where these kinds of actual shutdown CBs are rare, to put it mildly. We don't have a QB making $15M at the moment. That money is therefore spent elsewhere. Elsewhere = Nate, probably under the franchise tag.

435988[/snapback]

Nate Clements was ranked 39th best player in the league by the sporting news. Maybe you could argue that he should be somewhere around 30th. But make no mistake about it, a player 30th or lower has no business making 10 million a year unless the GM wanted to put himslef in salary cap hell quickly. From where I'm looking, dude wants more than he's worth.

Of course they will, and whether they stay in B-Lo or not will depend on a great variety of circumstances. The point I am making is that it is flat out wrong to assert that TD has a track record of letting young talent walk without having replacements. Whether he will suddenly start doing so in the future is something that no one can know. My guess is some people will stay and others will leave, and there is no overall conspiracy by TD against the future of the Bills...  But the controversies can rage on anyway. That's what makes message boards so much dysfunctional fun.... :w00t:

436272[/snapback]

there is no "overall conspiracy by TD against the future of the bills".......i never asserted that......he has a model of how he wants his team to look and how he wants to build it........doesn't mean we all have to agree that is the best way to build a team......plenty of GM's use different methods.......and many are more successful......

and his record of letting young talent walk in free agency isn't just regarding the bills -- it dates back to his days in PIT..........

there is no "overall conspiracy by TD against the future of the bills".......i never asserted that......he has a model of how he wants his team to look and how he wants to build it........doesn't mean we all have to agree that is the best way to build a team......plenty of GM's use different methods.......and many are more successful......

and his record of letting young talent walk in free agency isn't just regarding the bills -- it dates back to his days in PIT..........

436328[/snapback]

Fair enough, though you have to agree that if his record involves allowing some (not all, as I took your earlier messages to imply, though I apologize if I misinterpreted you) young talent to walk, it also involves developing teams (such as PIT, and such as the present Bills D) that have been able to survive and thrive even if this or that high-profile player happens to leave in free agency. That is why, even with a healthy dose of skepticism about TD, I do not accept pre-emptive assertions of gloom. If anything, his record suggests that once he builds a good team, it can become self-perpetuating, which allows at least as much room for hope that the Bills will build on their winning record last year as it does for fear that Nate will leave....