Is this stuff coming our way?

Mickey

It's not saying people are stupid (although T-Bone is out there somewhere) If they actually fuggin cared about the issues, they could learn-but they won't. That's been my frustration.

This is probably the one thing that bothers me more than anything. There are just not enough people here who are outraged enough to HELP. Where are the people who stood across from the firefighters with signs, thanking them from afar because that was all they could do? Where are all the flags that hung from our windows and houses? Where are the people who lined the street, waving flags and making traffic honk approval that we were going to kick someone's ass. What happened to the Senate, standing outside singing "God Bless America"?

They're all watching American Idol. They'll get back to being angry in a minute. Once there's a commercial.

Do you think they have not attacked us on our soil because they have been unable to, are not ready to or have, for the time being, decided not to?

30845[/snapback]

See BiB's latest post. That is, honestly, a better answer to this question than I could give. I tried three times today...and each time, my reply rapidly became incomprehensible. My short version was: the first two far more than the third, because the backlash from 9/11 cost them a lot of the traditional operational strengths of terrorism (in particular, the initiative and a safe geographical basing area). But really, the issues (plural) are far more complex than that, and far more complex than I can really explain.

Suicide bombers, on foot and in cars, have been concentrating on police recruiting facilities in Iraq:

In February they killed 47 in Baghdad at a recruiting center.

A few days later, another 53 killed just south of Baghdad.

In June, they killed 35 waiting to join the Iraqi military.

On July 28, they killed 68 at a police recruiting center in Baqouba.

They killed 20 at a police training facility in Kirkuk earlier this month.

Another 47 killed yesterday in Baghdad waiting to sign up with the Police.

That is 270 people we couldn't protect even at known, obvious targets like police and army recruiting centers.  I am no expert on anti-suicide bomber tactics so I am not suggesting that there is some way to prevent these.  Quite the contrary.  How long is it before we start seeing these kinds of attacks here in the US?  Do we really think that the reason we haven't so far is due to our vigilance rather than a decision by AQ to not use them here....yet?

Are we ready for life like this?

Amended, 9/14/04 10:09 pm:

12 killed in police van (11 officers and 1 civilian)in Baqouba, attacked by gunmen.

Oil pipeline junction was blown up today in Beiji, 155 miles north of Baghdad.

Make that 282 dead.

30392[/snapback]

I listened to Daniel Moynahan speak back in the early 80's, when we were fresh with our own troubles in Iran, and the gist of what he had to say was , "you ain't seen nothin yet."