Air travel...first time in a while

HelloNewman

I just got off a plane yesterday after a little hiatus from flying and boy have some things changed since a few years back-

-the internet certainly has sped up the process when booking tickets and selecting your seat assignments....the only drawback is if it is not done perfectly or you have any special circumstances or problems you will have to check in anyway. The counters are no longer staffed by a lot of reps....everything is now self- check in at a kiosk which can be problematic to find someone to help if you need a live human being to talk to.

-Boy talk about your cattlecars....every flight is now 90 percent or more full which makes for hot planes...poor air quality....rude staff..and the feeling of being part of a cattle herd. I used to love flying when I was younger...now I dred having to go on one especially if it is packed. MOOOO!

-On the positive side...I was surprised at how everyone around me took things in stride....now the weather was nice and no planes or flights were cancelled on the day I flew but everyone was tolerant of others. I suppose they feel the same way about air travel these days and bitching about it will not make things better so treat it like a DMV visit and roll with the punches and be patient.

Just some thoughts

-Boy talk about your cattlecars....every flight is now 90 percent or more full which makes for hot planes...poor air quality....rude staff..and the feeling of being part of a cattle herd.  I used to love flying when I was younger...now I dred having to go on one especially if it is packed.  MOOOO!

430987[/snapback]

And Southwest is particularly fun, with boarding procedures borrowed from the Chicago stockyards...

Southwest is the only airline worth flying. New planes, you can pick your seat, a lot of non stop travel, they rock. Head and shoulders above the the rest.

431101[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? I can't stand when they do stupid stuff at the gate like tell people they will get a seat upgrade if they sing Christmas carols.

Are you kidding me?  I can't stand when they do stupid stuff at the gate like tell people they will get a seat upgrade if they sing Christmas carols.

431104[/snapback]

A seat upgrade? No such thing on SouthWest, it is all coach. The only upgrade you can get is which "group" you board with. A, B, C, or D. (Group A gets seated first then B....) As long as you print up your boarding pass at home the night before you fly you'll get group A.

Southwest is the only airline worth flying. New planes, you can pick your seat, a lot of non stop travel, they rock. Head and shoulders above the the rest.

431101[/snapback]

SW sucks. It is the airline for the unwashed. It's not even that much cheaper anymore. Try flying a real airline like Continental across country, and then try Southwest...Southwest is a joke.

A seat upgrade? No such thing on SouthWest, it is all coach. The only upgrade you can get is which "group" you board with. A, B, C, or D. (Group A gets seated first then B....) As long as you print up your boarding pass at home the night before you fly you'll get group A.

431110[/snapback]

I know. I'm talking about getting upgraded from a C to an A.

SW sucks.  It is the airline for the unwashed.  It's not even that much cheaper anymore.  Try flying Continental out west and then try Southwest...Southwest is a joke.

431125[/snapback]

In my experience there have been too many amateurs on Southwest. People that get in my way and are oblivious to the world around them. People who think nothing of spending twenty minutes in the aisle making sure their jacket is neatly folded and stowed in their overhead compartment while the rest of the passenger wait behind them to board.

Go to their website and print up your boarding pass the the night before you fly. If you get your boarding pass at the airport your screwed. If somebody asked me to sing for an upgrade, they would be screwed too.

431132[/snapback]

Can you print your boarding pass for the connecting flight as well? I couldn't the last time I flew with them.

Welcome to the new world Newman. I'm just glad you're not complaining about the security precaution all must go through before boarding.

I just get back last night from a 19 hour journey from Buffalo to Tokyo. What a grind! But it's definately better than taking a ship.

I agree with the earlier comments about air transportation being the new busses. Personnaly, I'd rather have the lower price and suck it up for a few hours than pay more...but that's just me.

FTR, I bought my plane ticket for Christmas leave the day after Katrina hit before the gas prices went through the roof. I think I did the right thing.