We're going to beat the Texans

ajzepp

I am so pumped up for the regular season....I can't believe it kicks off in three days!!

Anyway, as far as the Texans go, I look at this game as being very similar to the Jax opener last year. Houston has a young QB, decent wideouts and RB, and a solid defense. Andre Johnson is a stud, but against The Playmaker he'll have an off day. I like our D against Carr and D. Davis, too. The Texans will get a heavy dose of Willis early and often, and I think he'll be the difference. JP will be unspectacular, but he'll be mistake-free and keep the chains moving. Anyone who watched the preseason games saw a reminder of the degree to which our D and ST can dictate field position.

Six more days!!!

I can't wait either, I'm not going to be able to sleep on Saturday but who really cares. We need a better nickname then "the Playmaker" for Nate though, that belongs to Michael Irvin and I can't have my favorite Bill sharing the same name as some early 90's cowboy coke head!

I can't wait either, I'm not going to be able to sleep on Saturday but who really cares.  We need a better nickname then "the Playmaker" for Nate though, that belongs to Michael Irvin and I can't have my favorite Bill sharing the same name as some early 90's cowboy coke head!

429725[/snapback]

lol....I didn't even think about that. From what I heard, Nate has "Playmaker" above his locker by his name. I like Irvin better now than I ever did when he was playing, but I agree....Nate needs his own identity <_<

I actually like Irvin now too, although I couldn't stand him when he was playing. We all listen to the Dan Patrick show at work and every Monday during the season Irvin comes on for an hour to analyze Sunday's games. IMHO it makes the show.

I actually like Irvin now too, although I couldn't stand him when he was playing.  We all listen to the Dan Patrick show at work and every Monday during the season Irvin comes on for an hour to analyze Sunday's games.  IMHO it makes the show.

429747[/snapback]

Yep, I agree....I was surprised to find myself enjoying his takes on the game. I found myself agreeing with him quite a bit and usually found him to be pretty objective. He's definitely got a lot of charisma and is good for a few laughs, too

I can't wait to see the playbook opened up more to silence all the critics on this board who doubt everything.  It's funny whebn people don't realize what vanilla means in football terms.  Houstons soooooo dead.  <_<

429762[/snapback]

I agree. With MM and TC at the helm, you know that we're going to have some tricks up our sleeve. JP has been more accurate with the ball than people are giving him credit for....I think we may see the Losman-to-Evans combination bust onto the scene on Sunday. I still think Willis is the key on offense, so hopefully we can establish him early and often....that will help JP find his receivers a bit more easily.

I can't wait to see the playbook opened up more to silence all the critics on this board who doubt everything.  It's funny whebn people don't realize what vanilla means in football terms.  Houstons soooooo dead.  <_<

429762[/snapback]

I think that when they take the plain vanilla wrapper off the offensive playbook, we will see what? More vanilla. Unless you mean calling two dopey wr around plays instead of one per game smacks of originality?

What this team needs are mis-direction plays and play action passes 2/3 of the time. Clements has a lot to prove to me as a playcaller before I would label him 'innovative'. Right now, I'd call him 'pedestrian'.

I agree. With MM and TC at the helm, you know that we're going to have some tricks up our sleeve. JP has been more accurate with the ball than people are giving him credit for....I think we may see the Losman-to-Evans combination bust onto the scene on Sunday. I still think Willis is the key on offense, so hopefully we can establish him early and often....that will help JP find his receivers a bit more easily.

429772[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more.

I think that when they take the plain vanilla wrapper off  the offensive playbook, we will see what?  More vanilla.  Unless you mean calling two dopey wr around plays instead of one per game smacks of originality?

What this team needs are mis-direction plays and play action passes 2/3 of the time.  Clements has a lot to prove to me as a playcaller before I would label him 'innovative'.  Right now, I'd call him 'pedestrian'.

429778[/snapback]

You have to remember something.....how many times have they implemented a game plan for JP? ZERO. Part of why we got rid of Bledsoe was because they felt JP gave them more flexibility with regard to what we do on offense. Our offense may come out looking completely different and, hopefully, more effective than it has appeared during the preseason. But clearly JP brings added dimensions to what they can put into the gameplan.

You have to remember something.....how many times have they implemented a game plan for JP? ZERO. Part of why we got rid of Bledsoe was because they felt JP gave them more flexibility with regard to what we do on offense. Our offense may come out looking completely different and, hopefully, more effective than it has appeared during the preseason. But clearly JP brings added dimensions to what they can put into the gameplan.

429786[/snapback]

I'm not saying JP couldn't pull off running a jazzed up playbook. My fear is that it will be intentially simplified (overdoing it) for the first few weeks, forcing him into a straightjacket. I disagree with the idea that the wraps are coming off out of the gate.

Anybody want to guess what the first play MM will run on offense... For the most part the first series is scripted on wednesday or so regardless if we get the ball first or not. The only thing that may change it is if we get the ball at our 1 yard line, or their 1 yard line.

My guess is that we will see a running play first out of the singleback bunch right formation. I think they will be setting up the play action pass for later on the game. In a dream world, i would love to see a go route reception by moulds, but if it doesn't connect it may rattle JP, and may also make the defense not respect our ability to go deep, which at this point isn't a good thing because i have not heard JP being too successful with throwing the ball further than an intermeidate route... I didn't hear of enough reps, or see enough in pre-season to make me think they have worked on the necessary timing against live opponents.

So in summary, first play, run to the right by willis gain of 7, second and 3 from the Buffalo 38.

Anybody want to guess what the first play MM will run on offense... For the most part the first series is scripted on wednesday or so regardless if we get the ball first or not. The only thing that may change it is if we get the ball at our 1 yard line, or their 1 yard line.

My guess is that we will see a running play first out of the singleback bunch right formation.  I think they will be setting up the play action pass for later on the game.  In a dream world, i would love to see a go route reception by moulds, but if it doesn't connect it may rattle JP, and may also make the defense not respect our ability to go deep, which at this point isn't a good thing because i have not heard JP being too successful with throwing the ball further than an intermeidate route... I didn't hear of enough reps, or see enough in pre-season to make me think they have worked on the necessary timing against live opponents. 

So in summary, first play, run to the right by willis gain of 7, second and 3 from the Buffalo 38.

429795[/snapback]

If Willis gets 7 yards on the first play...gameover. Don't see it happening, though.

I see run left ( to fool the Texans ) and a gain of 1 yard.

BTW, my idea of a great play is running a dive between the tackles and pitching back to the QB for a pass play. Early season, I'd run that play til the cows come home.

If Willis gets 7 yards on the first play...gameover.  Don't see it happening, though.

I see run left ( to fool the Texans ) and a gain of 1 yard.

BTW, my idea of a great play is running a dive between the tackles and pitching back to the QB for a pass play.  Early season, I'd run that play til the cows come home.

429800[/snapback]

I'm gonna say play action fake, 20 yard gain on a skinny post to Evans.