ridin on the city of New Orleans

cromagnum

Riding on the city of New Orleans Illinois Central, monday morning rail 15 cars and 15 restless riders three conducters 25 sacks of mail.

All along the southbound odyssey the train pulls out of kankakee rolls along past houses, farms and fields

passing graves that have no name ,freight yards full of old black men and the grave yard of rusted automobiles.

good mornin' America how are ya? Don't you know me? I'm your native son .

I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans, I'll be gone 500 miles when the days is done.

Dealing cards with the old men in the club car,

Penny a point,Ain't no one keepin score

pass the paper bag the holds the bottle

and feel the wheels rumblin neath the floor

And the sons of Pullman porters and the son of engineers

Ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

Mothers with there babies asleep rockin to the gentle beat and the rythm of the rails is all they feel.

Good mornin America, How are ya? Say don't you know me I'm your native son

I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans.

I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done

Night time on the City of New Orleans

Changing cars in Memphis , Tennessee

Halfway home we'll be there by mornin

thru the Mississippi darkness rollin' down to the sea

But all the towns and people seem to fade into a bad dream

And the steel rail still ain't heard the news the conductor sings his songs again

The passengers will please refrain:

This train got the disappearin railroad blues.

Good night America, how are you?

Say don't ya know me I'm your native son.

I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans.

I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done

I have not commented on the situation and I will not now...... except to say some of what I have seen and heard on television and on message boards and around town, and tonight shepard smith on hannity and colmes on the fox news channel tried to explain to sean about the checkpoint on the bridge leading out of town, and he reported the personell told the people trying to leave New Orlean's to turn back !!! Unfortunately there was'nt more detail's to that little tid bit, apparently sean wanted perspective on truck detail's, and shepard said ''perspective'' and then just went slack jawed... we report you decide......I AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH WOW is all I have to say .... I am praying for the south and this country...

Actually, it wasn't Arlo's song.

Whoever can name who wrote it gets an "Attaboy!"

:rolleyes:

427887[/snapback]

I do know Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, CW McCall & John Denver sang it also. Admittedly, I had to look up the writer so I won't throw my hat into the ring.

Actually, it wasn't Arlo's song.

Whoever can name who wrote it gets an "Attaboy!"

:rolleyes:

427887[/snapback]

Did not know that, allway's enjoyed that song.. seen him in concert a few times, if you like acoustic and folksy blues ,I wonder if will be seeing him perform this song soon along with many other muscian's to generate charity fund's for alot of people that will need it...This is going to take a united effort to overcome this disaster...Well I just might look in to relocating in L.A OR MISS. they will definately need tradesmen to rebuild their town's and city's .... all this ramblin waiting on the answer to the original singer.......to the south your in my thought's.......

Did not know that, allway's enjoyed that song.. seen him in concert a few times, if you like acoustic and folksy blues ,I wonder if will be seeing him perform this song soon along with many other muscian's to generate charity fund's for alot of people that will need it...This is going to take a united effort to overcome this disaster...Well I just might look in to relocating in L.A OR MISS. they will definately need tradesmen to rebuild their town's and city's .... all this ramblin waiting on the answer to the original singer.......to the south your in my thought's.......

427904[/snapback]

Always loved the AG version the best. He does it the best for it. Not taking anything away from Steve Goodman who wrote it.

I guess that is why it was such a hit for AG!

:)