Letter to T.O. and Moss

Good read:

Dear Terrell Owens and Randy Moss,

Wow, what an interesting and fun-filled offseason for you guys! I gotta say you've kept my phone busy and my colleagues busy having to report on your actions. That's actually why I wanted to write this letter and possibly give you some advice.

I realize it's extremely difficult to be a professional athlete at times, what with the demands that are placed on you by the media, fans and your organization, but you have to realize that it's a privilege to be in your position. You guys get paid to play a game. Granted, it's a dangerous game and one that is one of the most popular in the world, but it's still just a game. Maybe it's time that you stopped, smelled the roses and realized how lucky you are to be where you are today. As a former athlete, I understand that it's easy to feel the weight of the world on your shoulders, but believe me, it's a lot more fun to be where you are than where some people are today. You're paid a lot of money to entertain, play games and represent a city, which is why I feel it's necessary to write this letter to you guys as a friend.

Terrell Owens

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

More was expected of T.O. after a superb Super Bowl performance.

Randy, if you don't mind, I wanna start by talking to T.O. Mr. Owens, you and your agent, Drew Rosenhaus, went about this entire situation with your contract the wrong way.

You should've realized what organization you were dealing with a year ago when you signed this contract. That's not Rosenhaus' fault because he wasn't your agent at that time, but he needs to take some blame for not taking you aside and strongly advising you that taking this public was a bad idea. This organization has proven over the past few seasons that it doesn't care who the player is when it comes to renegotiating because it doesn't believe in renegotiating contracts.

Once you signed the contract, you were stuck with it, and let's not forget that you knew this contract was bad when you signed it but you wanted to play for the Philadelphia Eagles and with QB Donovan McNabb.

Now, a year later you're expecting the Eagles to tear up your contract because you outplayed it? There's a sentiment out there that you outplayed that contract, but I don't think such a thing exists. When people sign a contract, especially one for millions of dollars, it should be expected that they have a great season because that's what they are being paid to produce. T.O., do you and your agent honestly believe the Eagles expected you to have a down season after signing you to a 40-plus million dollar contract?

They say death and taxes are the only two certainties in life, but let me assure you the third is that the Eagles aren't going to renegotiate your contract after these shenanigans. They realize that if they do after what you've done, they'd just be opening the doors for every other player on the roster to step up and do the same.

It's time to get on the field and start doing what you do best, and that's being one of the best receivers in the game.

Randy, now it's your turn. Sorry to make you wait, but I felt you needed a little quiet time after hearing your recent comments on television concerning your marijuana use. I have only one question for you: Why open your mouth? Why say anything? I've been around you a lot over the past six or seven years and you've done some things that are a bit on the juvenile side, but why open your mouth about smoking marijuana?

Why would you disrespect the profession and put that type of scrutiny on yourself? Live your life, but don't throw it up in the face of the commissioner and fans. Telling a national television audience that you smoke marijuana every blue moon is like a guy robbing a bank and walking next door and buying a beer with the money. It makes that much sense to me.

This is a worse PR move than when former NFL quarterback Billy Joe Hobert admitted he didn't study his playbook before a game. Much like Hobert, maybe you would've been better served by just shutting up. Instead, you're going to be the No. 1 feature if NFL Films decides to make a tape of stupid things football players say.

This should've been a great preseason for you guys. T.O., you're coming off an amazing Super Bowl performance, and Randy is getting a new start with a franchise with a great football history. Instead, you've further sullied your reputations.

As a friend and admirer of your greatness, I hope you guys learn from this and move forward, because I think all football fans are ready to see you have great seasons and move away from the controversy that has consumed you during the preseason. I know I am.

Your friend,

Joe Theismann

This is a worse PR move than when former NFL quarterback Billy Joe Hobert admitted he didn't study his playbook before a game. Much like Hobert, maybe you would've been better served by just shutting up. Instead, you're going to be the No. 1 feature if NFL Films decides to make a tape of stupid things football players say.

420781[/snapback]

thanks for bringing back great memories, joe!

thanks for bringing back great memories, joe!

420784[/snapback]

Actually, it's good to see that Hobert's (in)action struck such a power chord with an ex-player. That was 8 years ago, and Theismann still has it rightfully stuck in his craw.

Letter from T.O. and Moss, to Theisman:

"Dear smarmy, loudmouthed, hasbeen,

Shut the !@#$ up! We don't care what you or anyone else says about us. We are above reproach (our agents gave us that word). You are nothing, the fans are nothing. We are everything. Never contact us again.

Signed,

The Shiznits"