This just in...

mrjsbu96

More like bottom third of the league.  The Bears aren't a good football team period.  I would trade being in a division with them, over anyone in our own division.

420265[/snapback]

Must be you missed what I posted before the game:

BILLS O vs. BEARS D: Assuming DEs Adewale Ogunleye and Alex Brown and DT Tommie Harris see significant time, this will be a much stiffer test for the Bills o-line than the previous two games. Now, maybe we'll see what we really have in Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson - the Bears D-line is fast and aggressive. Expect some more scrambling from J.P., and rushing yardage between the tackles might be hard to come by.
The usually got worn down last season because their offense was so bad.  Some of the same stuff we should have done to them yesterday.  It went to script with our D, but the O has been abysmal.

"Wearing down" was only part of the Bears' problem in 2004. Ogunleye - who led the AFC in sacks the year before - missed four games. Urlacher missed seven. Neither of the projected starters at CB (Azumah and Tillman) ended up starting more than 8 games. And playmaking SS Mike Brown shredded his Achilles tendon in Week 2.

Except for Azumah, they all played last night.

But the line......the line, has looked bad this pre-season so far.  That's what I'm really worried about.

That, I'll agree with. I kind of expected what I saw against Chicago, but I was disappointed by the performance in the first two games. And if anything should happen to BigMike, Greg Jerman didn't do anything to change my (low) opinion of him last night.....

Here we go.  Here's the typical "it's just the pre-season crowd".  The same crowd that last year said, we're only 0-1, it's not the end of the world.  It's only 2 games.  0-2 is nothing.  Then 0-3 came, but we still have hope.  0-4, now it's time to get pissed. 

Then, turn around an get all excited because we dominated a pathetic schedule in the 2nd half of the season, only to finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs BY ONE GAME.

Every game matters.  Especially when they have a young QB.  If they weren't trying to win like some of you morons think, JP wouldn't be so pissed off afterwards that they go nothing done.

It is only pre-season, but you'd be a fool if you weren't worried a little about the offense.  The line has looked below average.  JP hasn't really done anything yet to wow anyone.  The RB's haven't looked all that great either.  Not bad, but not great. 

Lastly, this is the first decent defense we've played this year.  And they stifled us, in a game that all the regulars were supposed to assert themselves.  It didn't happen.

Little bit troubling.  We'll see though, because it is somewhat true, it's only pre-season!

Oh, and I don't give a DAMN that JP is only essentially a rookie.  He's our QB on a VETERAN team that is pretty solid.  Our QB, needs to get it done, because with contracts up, this team won't be the same as he gets "seasoned" 2 or 3 years from now.

420221[/snapback]

hey va - you are right, he is the who the brass picked to lead and he is the leader but i just really think you need to adjust expectations. i am not even of the 'it's preseason' mindset rather we have a young guy at qb. what happened last year with big ben was an extremely rare occurrence. and honestly, i don't think he played THAT well, rather he did not make mistakes and had a good defense. sounds pretty similar to what we have going here (winning games vs starters and no turnover's so far). so, when he does struggle with decision-making or gets 'hot feet' i think we all need to realize who he is, and just hope he does not have a 5 season learning curve.

Must be you missed what I posted before the game:

"Wearing down" was only part of the Bears' problem in 2004. Ogunleye - who led the AFC in sacks the year before - missed four games. Urlacher missed seven. Neither of the projected starters at CB (Azumah and Tillman) ended up starting more than 8 games. And playmaking SS Mike Brown shredded his Achilles tendon in Week 2.

Except for Azumah, they all played last night.

That, I'll agree with. I kind of expected what I saw against Chicago, but I was disappointed by the performance in the first two games. And if anything should happen to BigMike, Greg Jerman didn't do anything to change my (low) opinion of him last night.....

420286[/snapback]

I don't care what the excuses are. The Bears aren't a good football team. And the fact that the Bears offense is bad, obviously makes the defense even worse. But let's not forget, if you want to try to make the Bears seem like something they aren't, they were a below average defense, albeit with injuries AND bad offense contributing, in a HORRIBLE NFC conference also. So, they were bad ......pretty much against other bad teams. That might have been the worst year in NFC Football history as far as quality teams.

So, how good could they have been? Their offense last night, provided the same recipe as last year, we couldn't capitalize. That is troubling.

Write the same game report and subsitute Indianapolis for Buffalo. How would the Colts match up with the Bears? Think the Bears could stop them? Hell no. OK, now, match up the Colts with the Patriots. Think the Patriots could stop them? Hell yes. Now, the problem is.......we couldn't do anything with the Bears defense, although we'll see the Pats defense TWICE this year. Not to mention other good teams that are much better than the Bears on both sides of the ball.

That, to me, is cause for concern.

hey va - you are right, he is the who the brass picked to lead and he is the leader but i just really think you need to adjust expectations.  i am not even of the 'it's preseason' mindset rather we have a young guy at qb.  what happened last year with big ben was an extremely rare occurrence. and honestly, i don't think he  played THAT well, rather he did not make mistakes and had a good defense.  sounds pretty similar to what we have going here (winning games vs starters and no turnover's so far). so, when he does struggle with decision-making or gets 'hot feet' i think we all need to realize who he is, and just hope he does not have a 5 season learning curve.

420293[/snapback]

I agree, and see your point. However, I'm not going to adjust expectations for a young QB to take over when he is taking over a team that has the #2 ranked defense in the league and the best special teams. And those two teams are still in tact, except for Pat Williams.

I WHOLLY fault the front office this season IF this offense isn't able to move the ball to help out the other two "teams" on the Bills. Handing the job without competition to a young QB with the team in a win now position is pretty stupid, IMO. Not helping out on the line more with a young QB is even more dumb, IMO.

So, if the Bills were 4-12, or 5-11 and rebuilding their roster, I'd take 2-14 this year with a year of progress for the QB. However, this roster, all but the offense, is ready to win now, and it's not very smart to hand the QB job to JP, and more importantly, go with a suspect line to protect that young QB who has some good weapons.

The O-line worries me 100% more than JP does.

Write the same game report and subsitute Indianapolis for Buffalo.  How would the Colts match up with the Bears?  Think the Bears could stop them?  Hell no. OK, now, match up the Colts with the Patriots.  Think the Patriots could stop them?  Hell yes.  Now, the problem is.......we couldn't do anything with the Bears defense, although we'll see the Pats defense TWICE this year.  Not to mention other good teams that are much better than the Bears on both sides of the ball.

That, to me, is cause for concern.

420305[/snapback]

Funny you should mention Bears vs. Colts, because that's who the Bears played last week. And unlike their game against Buffalo, most of the Colts starters actually played against Chicago...

6 carries, 4 yards for Edgerrin James. After their first five possessions, the Colts had a grand total of zero first downs and two turnovers. The one scoring drive Manning led was only kept alive by a personal foul on a 3rd-and-19 incompletion; otherwise, Indy would have been punting from their own side of the 50. Again. And when the Indy starters came out, the Colts were losing 14-7.

You were saying?

NFL.com Gamebook: CHI@IND