Bertuzzi reinstated after serving "suspension"

Fezmid

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2128941

So Bertuzzi serves a suspension for 13 games + playoffs for (in essence) intentionally ending the career of a player, and because he couldn't play in the World Cup of hockey during the lockout, his suspension is long enough? Give me a break.

Here's an interesting part:

As per terms of his criminal probation, Bertuzzi will not be permitted to play against Moore. That may never come to pass, however -- as Moore is still feeling effects of the hit and wasn't re-signed by the Avalanche.

If I were the NHL owners, I'd sign Moore to a bunch of one day contracts, all for the team playing the Canucks. This would force the Canucks to not dress Bertuzzi for any games, but still force them to pay him (or cut him). It'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

Oh well.

CW

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the NHL owners, I'd sign Moore to a bunch of one day contracts, all for the team playing the Canucks.  This would force the Canucks to not dress Bertuzzi for any games, but still force them to pay him (or cut him).  It'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

Oh well.

CW

403553[/snapback]

Great idea! Cruel and unusual.

So Bertuzzi serves a suspension for 13 games + playoffs for (in essence) intentionally ending the career of a player, and because he couldn't play in the World Cup of hockey during the lockout, his suspension is long enough?  Give me a break.

403553[/snapback]

It's a wild assumption that Betuzzi was trying to end a career. Believe me the suspension cost both the Canucks and Todd a great shot at the Stanley Cup.

If I were the NHL owners, I'd sign Moore to a bunch of one day contracts, all for the team playing the Canucks.  This would force the Canucks to not dress Bertuzzi for any games, but still force them to pay him (or cut him).  It'll never happen, but it'd be nice.

Oh well.

CW

403553[/snapback]

THAT's good!

THAT's good!

403572[/snapback]

I mentioned it to one of my coworkers and he said that, although my plan wouldn't work, it'd be interesting to see if whoever plays the Canucks in the playoffs desides to sign Moore just to stop Bertuzzi from playing. That's far more realistic. :(

CW

So Bertuzzi serves a suspension for 13 games + playoffs for (in essence) intentionally ending the career of a player, and because he couldn't play in the World Cup of hockey during the lockout, his suspension is long enough?  Give me a break.

Here's an interesting part:

Oh well.

CW

403553[/snapback]

Just let it go already. How long do you want to see Bertuzzi out of hockey? The criminal case is settled and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost him some $$$ in the civil case. He did something stupid and he is paying for it.

You want the owners to prevent Bertuzzi from playing? Who the heck do you think runs the league and ended his suspension?

Besides, I don't want to hear any excuses from Canuck fans when the Flames beat them again this year. :(

Just let it go already. How long do you want to see Bertuzzi out of hockey?

Forever. Just as someone who "makes a mistake" and wipes out a family while DUI deserves a harsh prison sentence.

Not that my opinion matters, I am appalled that this is not obvious to the people who run hockey.

Then again, I am not surprised....

Just let it go already. How long do you want to see Bertuzzi out of hockey?

Forever. Just as someone who "makes a mistake" and wipes out a family while DUI deserves a harsh prison sentence.

Not that my opinion matters, I am appalled that this is not obvious to the people who run hockey.

Then again, I am not surprised....

403702[/snapback]

Yep, that's a fair analogy :(

How about this one - I let my dog off its leash and it runs on the street. In order to avoid the dog, a car swerves and has a head on collision with another vehicle killing two families. In your world, I should probably get the chair.

Bertuzzi gooned Moore in a hockey game. It was a cheap shot from behind and Bertuzzi thought it was payback because Moore went after his teammate's knee. Do you think it was more dangerous to punch Moore from behind in the middle of the ice, or crosscheck him from behind into the boards? That crosscheck into the boards happens every night - 2 minutes in the box.

Although what happened to Moore is tragic, I believe it was just part of the game - bounties on players, hitting from behind, etc. Heck, one of the players named in Moore's lawsuit (Brad May) now plays for the Avalanche, so the owners/players obviously think the issue is behind them.

It was stupid and the consequences were terrible but it's time to move on.

Yep, that's a fair analogy  :(

How about this one - I let my dog off its leash and it runs on the street.  In order to avoid the dog, a car swerves and has a head on collision with another vehicle killing two families.  In your world, I should probably get the chair.

Bertuzzi gooned Moore in a hockey game.  It was a cheap shot from behind and Bertuzzi thought it was payback because Moore went after his teammate's knee.  Do you think it was more dangerous to punch Moore from behind in the middle of the ice, or crosscheck him from behind into the boards?  That crosscheck into the boards happens every night - 2 minutes in the box.

Although what happened to Moore is tragic, I believe it was just part of the game - bounties on players, hitting from behind, etc.  Heck, one of the players named in Moore's lawsuit (Brad May) now plays for the Avalanche, so the owners/players obviously think the issue is behind them.

403751[/snapback]

Hmmm...crosschecking vs. driving a player's head into the ice. Your dog vs. you. That's quite a world you have.

How about this one - I let my dog off its leash and it runs on the street.  In order to avoid the dog, a car swerves and has a head on collision with another vehicle killing two families.  In your world, I should probably get the chair.

:(:(;):(

What the hell does an ACCIDENT have to do with deliberately attacking someone from behind?!

Look, all I'm saying is that a 13 game + playoff suspension is NOTHING. If the NHL hadn't had a lockout last year, and Bertuzzi missed all of last season from a suspension, I'd be fine with that. Heck, even if they tacked on 20-40 game suspension at the start of this season, I'd be fine. But being penalyzed a handful of games at the end of the season? That's nothing. (and how can you count the lockout as "time served????" Oh boy, he couldn't play in the World Cup of Hockey, big whoop.)

CW

Although what happened to Moore is tragic, I believe it was just part of the game - bounties on players, hitting from behind, etc.  Heck, one of the players named in Moore's lawsuit (Brad May) now plays for the Avalanche, so the owners/players obviously think the issue is behind them.

403751[/snapback]

Bull$&*!. Your car-wreck scenario is an unfortunate accident. Checking someone into the boards is "part of the game". This was a premeditated ATTACK, and Bertuzzi should have gotten jail time.

JMO.

Hmmm...crosschecking vs. driving a player's head into the ice. Your dog vs. you. That's quite a world you have.

403762[/snapback]

Intent vs consequence.

My analogy intentionally sucked - I was trying to be as extreme in the opposite direction as I felt the DUI analogy was.

If you have watched a lot of hockey, I can't believe you haven't seen a player crosschecked into the boards head first.

I'm not defending Bertuzzi - what he did was stupid and turned out to be criminal. He will also pay a lot of $$$ to Moore - probably more than Moore would have made as a fourth line player / minor leaguer.

I just think it's time to move on.

Intent vs consequence. 

My analogy intentionally sucked - I was trying to be as extreme in the opposite direction as I felt the DUI analogy was.

If you have watched a lot of hockey, I can't believe you haven't seen a player crosschecked into the boards head first.

I'm not defending Bertuzzi - what he did was stupid and turned out to be criminal.  He will also pay a lot of $$$ to Moore - probably more than Moore would have made as a fourth line player / minor leaguer. 

I just think it's time to move on.

403777[/snapback]

Yeah, because the money Moore may or may not get is much more important than his health. :( I'm sure you'd gladly break your neck for a few hundred grand?

I also still don't get your "intent vs consequence" line. If you punch someone in the head from behind, while on skates, then drive their head into the ice, you're obviously intending to do serious bodily harm to them. If I let my dog off the leash, I'm not intending to harm anyone. So what the heck are you trying to say???

CW

:(  :(  ;)  :(

Oh boy, he couldn't play in the World Cup of Hockey, big whoop.)

CW

403769[/snapback]

In addition, he couldn't play in Europe because no one wanted him due to the fact he is a dirty player. Canada has reinstated his eligibility to play on the national team too, I believe...

Bull$&*!. Your car-wreck scenario is an unfortunate accident. Checking someone into the boards is "part of the game". This was a premeditated ATTACK, and Bertuzzi should have gotten jail time.

JMO.

403773[/snapback]

Premeditated attacks are part of the NHL, and have always been a part of the game. The only difference is that this was premeditated for a month rather than a shift, a period, or a game.

Goons and enforcers are on the team to protect the star players. If somebody roughs up a star player, the goon is going to try and beat the crap out of him by punching him in the head until his arms are so tired he can't even lift them. If the goon isn't currently on the ice, he will take the next shift when his target is on, or if it's a close game wait until it's decided. Not only is it premeditated, it's pretty much the goons only job on the team.

If Bertuzzi stood toe-to-toe with Moore and ended his career would that be acceptable?

Premeditated attacks are part of the NHL, and have always been a part of the game.  The only difference is that this was premeditated for a month rather than a shift, a period, or a game.

Goons and enforcers are on the team to protect the star players.  If somebody roughs up a star player, the goon is going to try and beat the crap out of him by punching him in the head until his arms are so tired he can't even lift them.  If the goon isn't currently on the ice, he will take the next shift when his target is on, or if it's a close game wait until it's decided.  Not only is it premeditated, it's pretty much the goons only job on the team. 

If Bertuzzi stood toe-to-toe with Moore and ended his career would that be acceptable?

403787[/snapback]

This is why the NHL is a friggin JOKE. How can anyone take it seriously? It's getting as ridiculous as the WWE...

Yeah, because the money Moore may or may not get is much more important than his health.  :(  I'm sure you'd gladly break your neck for a few hundred grand?

I also still don't get your "intent vs consequence" line.  If you punch someone in the head from behind, while on skates, then drive their head into the ice, you're obviously intending to do serious bodily harm to them.  If I let my dog off the leash, I'm not intending to harm anyone.  So what the heck are you trying to say???

CW

403781[/snapback]

I don't believe Bertuzzi intended to do anything more extreme that an acceptable level of violence in the NHL. I just think Bertuzzi wanted to pound the crap out of Moore. It would have been a 5 minute major and a match penalty for intent to injure but nothing that would have been classified as criminal.

What he did was BS and I think he has been and will be fairly punished for it.