Seymour got a new contract

ch19079

Tough to say, since I've hardly seen his replacement play at all.  I certainly will miss facing Bledsoe twice a year, though.

397574[/snapback]

I like you too, HD. Good answer. I half expected some smoke blowing. I'll tell you one thing you can depend on. JP will be in 4 possible places setting up..behind center, sprint out right, sprint out left, or trotting down the field; 3 more than the Pats had to worry about with Drew.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriots play 14 games each year against teams that aren't the Bills.  Just because you think the Bills' defense can better handle a 2 TE set than a spread formation doesn't mean that the Pats' 2 TE base won't better match up against the other 14 teams' defenses.

You've incredibly over-simplified this issue.

397573[/snapback]

Actually, I haven't. You pointed out Graham's 7 TDs earlier, which is a solid total.

But he only had 364 receiving yards the entire year. That averages out to 23 a game. He hasn't even passed the 1,000 yard mark in his career yet.

So while Graham is an asset in the red zone, he's not moving the ball between the twenties. It's really hard to argue from these numbers that the Pats have a need for a 2nd highly-drafted TE.

And the 2TE set itself isn't that effective at moving the ball between the 20s, aside from the Colts and the Ravens back in 2000, very few teams use it successfully for any amount of time.

Now you can argue that the Pats will run Dillon from that set, and I'll agree that that's a very smart thing to do.

But if your 2nd TE is going to be primarily a blocker, you really don't need to spend a 1st round pick to get him. You can pick up a good blocking TE in the 3rd or 4th round.

Could Belichick have upgraded the 3rd or 4th receiver position with that pick? You don't seem comfortable with Johnson. And who's their 4th WR? Tim Dwight? Troy Brown?

Could he have added depth to his LBs? Are you really comfortable with a reject from the pourous KC defense starting at ILB?

How old are Harrison and McGinest? Will they decline as quickly as Junior Seau did last season? Could a 1st round pick have shored up either of these positions?

For someone who accused Donahoe of ignoring need with the McGahee pick, you give Belichick a huge pass for drafting a #2 TE in first round. At least Donahoe got an impact RB. Belichick's drafted a guy who might see action on 20% of the offensive plays.

I'll tell you one thing you can depend on.  JP will be in 4 possible places setting up..behind center, sprint out right, sprint out left, or trotting down the field; 3 more than the Pats had to worry about with Drew.

To be an upgrade, all he'll really have to be able to do is sidestep left and sidestep right. :blink: