What, in week 1, will show how our season

4everBills

1) Drew Bledsoe!!!!!! I cant say it enough, this is THE key to our season!

If Drew shows tomorrow that he can get the ball out quick, throw completions even if not for long yardage, and avoid sacks, I believe we are headed DEEP into the postseason. Will Wyches new system for Drew work? I think so. We had hints of it in the pre-season. Drew was effecient. You may feel that it didnt mean squat without any TD's but I dont agree. If anything the pres-season is ALL about assessing the individual players considering there is no real game planning. I almost expect few TD's in the pre-season with vanilla planning.

2) Offensive game planning- What do we see tomorrow? will it be quality plays that completely take advantage of the opponents weaknesses? I think we see a real true spark and we will start to regain some of what we felt in the SB years, no matter what the game clock and scoreboard looked like, we always felt we could get it done. I bet we see an exciting, playmaking offense.

3) an ADAPTABLE offensive and defensive scheme- Do we see changes on the fly? Do we see adjustments that make a noticeable impact? I cant tell you how many games I watched under GW where we were getting eatin alive in the dink and dunk offense and yet we still played 10+ yards off the ball! Will we see some jamming at the line? Will we see some play action? Screens? Long bombs? double cross patterns? Will we see our team take the extra point and not go for the dumb 2? Clock management cost us games last year, do we have it under tight control THIS year? How about the 3rd and long, will we see runs? will we see passes in the 3rd and short? I think we see a completely different team that makes the smart moves and wins games!!!!

3) Travis Henry- He doesnt need to do anything more than what we expect he will do. Run, run, run. If he shows his typical ability to shake tackles and gain extra yards, I will instantly feel he goes for another 1300 yards plus. If he stutters it will bear furtrher investigation.

4) DB's- Its still the biggest worry I have on D. We will stop the run, we wont get much pass rush, but can we defend the pass? Clements can be counted on, Vincent? who knows, Milloy is out, Wire worries me as does Reese. If these guys can play tight coverage and stop the 10+ yard cushion of last year, I say we are instantly competitive in ALL of our games this year. If not, we could have a LONG season.

Still, its Drew, Drew, Drew. I want to see him play the "new" system of fast release, shorter drops, and accurate shorter passes. If he does it well, WE ARE SET!!!!

I am so stoked! its the unknown that gets me going. We cant assume jack squat at this point. We have zero data points. It could all be COMPLETELY right for the first time in SO long. I have a REALLY REALLY good feeling, just a gut, but I think this is our year!!!

I'm not worried about offense. We may not score 30 points a game but we have the ability.

Pass rush scares me. I'm not sold on TV either but I know he's solid over his career.

The O-line must give DB 2.5 secs at least to look for a receiver.

If the defense is solid, then I think it's an indication (although not an ironclad one since we are at home) that the D will be good again this year.

Offensively, I'm looking for coherent play calling, clock/game management from Mularkey, and ability to run the ball. While a good passing game wouldn't be a "season indicator" for me since the Jags have not been strong on the pass rush, if we can run the ball it augurs well (been waiting to say "augurs") for our new approach on offense.

Oh, and well-timed and SUCCESSFUL gadget plays wouldn't hurt, either.

I only take your opening statement.

Last year what did week 1 show the Bills? Nothing.

Last year what did week 1 show the Pats? Nothing.

It is week 1.

In the NFL every game is important but please lets not make rash judgements on one game.

That being said

GO BILLS!

Week one shows us nothing. Last year we looked like SB champs after week one, and two for that matter. What did we learn from that? How easy it is to get deflated. Week one performance is pretty much smoke in mirrors.

I hope we kick ass, but I need to see that for the first 4-5 weeks.