The Aviator

Just watched the Aviator. I thought it was really interesting about the life of Howard Hughes. My question is, about 3/4 thru the flick, does anyone know if that really happened in Beverly Hills when he crash landed his plane (the Hercules) into that country club and row of houses?? That scene was unreal and I just wanted to know if that was made up by Scorcese or did it really happen? Anyway, great movie!!

Just watched the Aviator. I thought it was really interesting about the life of Howard Hughes. My question is, about 3/4 thru the flick, does anyone know if that really happened in Beverly Hills when he crash landed his plane (the Hercules) into that country club and row of houses?? That scene was unreal and I just wanted to know if that was made up by Scorcese or did it really happen? Anyway, great movie!!

365660[/snapback]

He really did crash land in Beverly Hills.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/XF-11_crash_site.htm

I enjoyed the movie, but Scorcese really focused on Hughes eccentricities more than the man's vision and success. Also I believe Hughes' social decline took a number of decades to manifest itself as opposed to the rapid decline depicted in the movie.

He really did crash land in Beverly Hills.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/XF-11_crash_site.htm

I enjoyed the movie, but Scorcese really focused on Hughes eccentricities more than the man's vision and success. Also I believe Hughes' social decline took a number of decades to manifest itself as opposed to the rapid decline depicted in the movie.

365675[/snapback]

That's because his "social decline" was actually OCD, just like A Beautiful Mind was about John Nash's schizophrenia.

Personally, though I didn't think The Aviator Oscar-worthy (just a pity nomination for Scorceze), it was a very good study of obsessive-compuslive disorder (no real surprise, since DiCaprio has it himself), and a reasonable statement to the effect that many mentally ill people who are successful are because they're mentally ill...Hughes Aircraft never would have succeded if Hughes wasn't nucking futs.