Greg Paulus

JoeF

I have heard raves about this young man and was wondering if any of you Syracuse guys have seen him play football or basketball? The basketball staff at Duke is jacked about this kid--both his attitude and his skill...they have said he is Bobby Hurley with better quicks, vision and shot.

Just wondering.....thanks....

Maybe he spends four years at Duke on the hardwood and then plays QB for the Bills when JP retires after winning 6 super bowls in his first 6 years as a starter :D

He's a deuchebag for going to Duke.

364459[/snapback]

Thanks -- I guess the kid can play. The nickname for Duke locally is the State University of New York and New Jersey at Durham.

F*ck Duke. He's no Tywon Lawson I know that much. Rat boy will throw this kid away like he does all his other recuits that don't work out.....see Shav Randolph.

364494[/snapback]

Yep--he throws them away so often and has no history of developing kids both on and off the court.

Yep--he throws them away so often and has no history of developing kids both on and off the court.

364504[/snapback]

What kids have done anything on the court in the league?? Hurley.....nope, Jay Williams...nope, Danny Ferry.....nope, Grant Hill.....I'll give you this one. If you go down the road 8 miles I think you'll find what you're looking for in Chapel Hill.

He went to my former high school, CBA. As QB, he was very agile and smart. He could throw the long ball, the 10 yard out, or run it himself for 20 yards. He could have started as a college QB. But he said his first love is basketball. And he's not a showoff or big talker, he's very humble.

What kids have done anything on the court in the league?? Hurley.....nope, Jay Williams...nope, Danny Ferry.....nope, Grant Hill.....I'll give you this one. If you go down the road 8 miles I think you'll find what you're looking for in Chapel Hill.

364586[/snapback]

You said he threw away kids--meaning got nothing out of them or treated them like trash when they were at Duke in my interpretation--you said nothing about the NBA. Read the quotes from Shav in today's Raleigh paper--he doesn't sound like he was treated like trash...

by the way Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley--way to pick on guys who's careers were cut short by serious accidents. Grant Hill is an all-star when healthy (proved it again this year); Laettner has had a serviceable career; Elton Brand, Corey Maggette...I agree it doesn't compare to the Tarheels but don't just make sh-- up.

I am not a Duke fan, but if you are going to write something at least stick to the same point.

Now to get back to the original point--has anyone other than a Cuse fan seen Paulus play and have an opinion...the Duke staff including the head coach is ga ga over this kid and I want to know if its legit...

He went to my former high school, CBA.  As QB, he was very agile and smart.  He could throw the long ball, the 10 yard out, or run it himself for 20 yards.  He could have started as a college QB.  But he said his first love is basketball.  And he's not a showoff or big talker, he's very humble.

364591[/snapback]

Thanks Joe. Really appreciate it.

:D Maybe he wanted a good academic education while playing basketball. Incredibly, that can happen at Duke! They attract some SMART kids who, believe it or not, are true STUDENT-athletes! Probably a better choice than that other place where Travis Henry attended!

:D Maybe he wanted a good academic education while playing basketball. Incredibly, that can happen at Duke! They attract some SMART kids who, believe it or not, are true STUDENT-athletes! 

364611[/snapback]

You see - they're not the most hated program because they win all the time. They have 1 national title in the last 13 years. It's this false perception of moral superiority. All of their players mysteriously major in Sociology. The families of the kids who lived in the ghetto suddenly live in beautiful Durham homes with good jobs after their kid commits to Duke - but you never hear about this stuff.

The Sports Guy said it best a couple weeks ago:

"I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach basketball. I want you armed for life. I want you to develop as a player. I want you to develop as a student. And I want you to develop as a human being."

(In the meantime, American Express is going to write me a gigantic check while you guys get a free scholarship, free sneakers, a free room and that's it. But let me know if you need any advice or anything, I'm always here for you.)"

Joe - Pawlus can obviously play. He was a McDonald's All American.

Joe - Pawlus can obviously play.  He was a McDonald's All American.

364652[/snapback]

So was Shavlik Randolph...

all I wanted were some opinions from knowledgeable fans who had seen Paulus play. I could really care less that you are bitter that he didn't commit to Cuse. Or that Col Forbin is a Tarheel fan from Greensboro. The Dookies are making this kid out to be the second coming--figured the knowledgeable TBD fans would respond with some scoop.

Too much to ask I guess....sorry.

So was Shavlik Randolph...

all I wanted were some opinions from knowledgeable fans who had seen Paulus play.  I could really care less that you are bitter that he didn't commit to Cuse.  Or that Col Forbin is a Tarheel fan from Greensboro. The Dookies are making this kid out to be the second coming--figured the knowledgeable TBD fans would respond with some scoop.

Too much to ask I guess....sorry.

364665[/snapback]

So was Lebron James...

Who pissed in your coffee this morning? Christ, my original post was a joke.

'Cuse has a McD's AA PG of their own coming in this year, and therefore it took me about 5.3 seconds to get over his decision. Seriously.

I only saw him in the McD's game. He didn't take many outside shots (although I heard he has a decent one), but he looked like a good penetrator & passer. Of course, nobody plays any defense in those games, so who knows; but I think he'll be a good compliment to Reddick in the backcourt. I'm sure the coaches who recruited him know better than anybody here.

So was Lebron James...

Who pissed in your coffee this morning?  Christ, my original post was a joke. 

'Cuse has a McD's AA PG of their own coming in this year, and therefore it took me about 5.3 seconds to get over his decision.  Seriously.

I only saw him in the McD's game.  He didn't take many outside shots (although I heard he has a decent one), but he looked like a good penetrator & passer.  Of course, nobody plays any defense in those games, so who knows; but I think he'll be a good compliment to Reddick in the backcourt.  I'm sure the coaches who recruited him know better than anybody here.

364688[/snapback]

My bad...didn't realize you were joking. Thanks for the response. K loves this kid...it should be interesting to see him play.

You said he threw away kids--meaning got nothing out of them or treated them like trash when they were at Duke in my interpretation--you said nothing about the NBA.  Read the quotes from Shav in today's Raleigh paper--he doesn't sound like he was treated like trash...

by the way Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley--way to pick on guys who's careers were cut short by serious accidents.  Grant Hill is an all-star when healthy (proved it again this year); Laettner has had a serviceable career; Elton Brand, Corey Maggette...I agree it doesn't compare to the Tarheels but don't just make sh-- up.

I am not a Duke fan, but if you are going to write something at least stick to the same point.

Now to get back to the original point--has anyone other than a Cuse fan seen Paulus play and have an opinion...the Duke staff including the head coach is ga ga over this kid and I want to know if its legit...

364595[/snapback]

Hmmmmm.....Jay Williams was driving reckless on a high speed bike. Maybe it is just me, but I would think someone who would have been molded into a "man" at Duke would know better. I guess I'm wrong sorry.

It sounds like many of you are completely mis-informed about Duke. I'm not sure why so much hatred exists for a school that consistently performs at a high level without the players having off-court problems. Shouldn't that be applauded rather than making fun of a kid who was in a serious accident? For those who don't know, the state that represents the most kids in each class at Duke is North Carolina. New Jersey does not appear in the top 5 states. New York happens to be a fairly large state population wise, so yes, there are many kids from New York....just like Texas and California. Also, if you look at the recent history, North Carolina hasn't exactly pumped out studs. Joe Forte anyone? Duke and Carolina are pretty close in terms of current NBA talent.

To answer the original question before it got into a rip Duke session, Paulus is a great distributor. I haven't seen his shot very much, but on this year's team with Redick, Shelden Williams, etc, he won't need to score as much. From all the interviews I've read, he seems like a good, humble kid with a good attitude. He should have a great career at Duke.

It sounds like many of you are completely mis-informed about Duke.  I'm not sure why so much hatred exists for a school that consistently performs at a high level without the players having off-court problems.  Shouldn't that be applauded rather than making fun of a kid who was in a serious accident?  For those who don't know, the state that represents the most kids in each class at Duke is North Carolina.  New Jersey does not appear in the top 5 states.  New York happens to be a fairly large state population wise, so yes, there are many kids from New York....just like Texas and California.  Also, if you look at the recent history, North Carolina hasn't exactly pumped out studs.  Joe Forte anyone?  Duke and Carolina are pretty close in terms of current NBA talent.

To answer the original question before it got into a rip Duke session, Paulus is a great distributor.  I haven't seen his shot very much, but on this year's team with Redick, Shelden Williams, etc, he won't need to score as much.  From all the interviews I've read, he seems like a good, humble kid with a good attitude.  He should have a great career at Duke.

365223[/snapback]

You don't live in North Carolina do you?? :blink:

You don't live in North Carolina do you??  :blink:

365250[/snapback]

I did live in North Carolina for a while - long enough to understand the "Carolina Blue" Kool-Aid that most of you drink. That's why I could basically predict the anti-Duke arguments that are so incorrect.