Holy Cowpoop..another Travis speculation story

JoeF

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny

Folks--this has to be the most written about non-trade in the history of the NFL.

I could care less if we trade Travis for a bucket of sh-- and two spoons right now--just make it stop...

From this week's tipsheet:

Take it to the bank, at some point before the start of the regular season, Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry will be traded. To whom? Uh, we'll get back to you on that one. This much we know: There remain multiple teams interested in securing Henry, still a quality back despite losing his starting job to Willis McGahee last year, and a guy who has a couple 1,000-yard campaigns on his résumé. Sooner or later (probably later), some team is going to meet the Bills' asking price, believed to be a third-round draft choice, and pull the trigger on a deal.

That team probably won't be Houston, which continues to consider upgrading the No. 2 spot behind Domanick Davis, but doesn't appear as interested in Henry as a few other teams. That's notable because a report indicated this week that the Texans are the only club still talking with Buffalo about a Henry deal. Not true. A league source tells us Tennessee and Jacksonville are still in the mix for Henry and there have been "extensive" discussions between Titans officials and Henry's agent. That makes sense, since Henry is entering the final year of his contract, and no team is going to trade for him just to rent him for a season and then have him depart next spring in free agency. Tennessee absolutely has to land a tailback to play behind the talented but often-injured Chris Brown. The Jaguars remain concerned about Fred Taylor's knee and might want someone with a little more real-game experience than LaBrandon Toefield, who has just 104 carries in two seasons, or impressive rookie Alvin Pearman.

There were reports last week the Jaguars had discussed a trade for Seattle tailback Shaun Alexander, but Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio was pretty convincing in debunking such talks. It would be difficult to have Taylor around in 2005, at a base salary of $1.55 million and be able to afford the kind of long-term contract Alexander desires. But we do hear that, in the Henry matter, Seattle is still a dark-horse landing spot, should the Seahawks ever find someone to take the unhappy Alexander off their hands.

The thing that makes no sense to me, is that of all the teams listed, none of them are trading for Henry to make him their starter. Now, I understand that Fred Taylor and Chris Brown have issues with staying healthy, but for that matter the guy he's behind right now has a completely reconstructed knee. I just don't see why Travis would be willing to sign an extension (which will probably be tantamount to getting a trade done), when he's still going to be brought in as a #2 back.

Travis really painted himself into the corner. Playing out his last year for the Bills really would not have been such a bad option. As best as I can tell even those teams who are marginally interested don't want him as a starter. If you are gonna be a backup, why not do it here? But pride and a big mouth got in the way and now it would be a huge serving of humble pie to come in for the season. Humility does not seem to be his biggest personality trait. Imagine if he never opened his yap how much brighter his future would be at this point. Probably had he not put his foot in his mouth so many times the trade would have already gone down somewhere. Gee...maybe the Dems will trade Howard Dean for him. Sorry, ppp material. Plus the bucket and two spoons would be worth more.

Travis takes too much crap from this board!  His agent is to blame!!  Why not sh-- on him for a few months, eh? 

How is that idiot regarded more highly than Rosenhaus?

356131[/snapback]

I agree to a point jarthur. Hadley Englehard deserves a lot of this blame.

But think about it for a second. Hadley didn't almost spend himself into bankruptcy forcing an extension and signing bonus at a below market rate to pay off debts and Hadley didn't pick up any younguns at a Gas Station (at least not that we know of)...

What NFL team wouldn't look for help elsewhere when one of their key players displayed a pattern of behavior like this?

Len...you do know that you have a column due latter today, don't you?

Yeah, but nothing is going on!

I don't give a f%&!...just rehash the same old sh-- if you have to, but you got 2 hrs to come up with something.

OK...after I did Dunkin Donuts, I'll pull something together.

I agree to a point jarthur.  Hadley Englehard deserves a lot of this blame.

But think about it for a second. Hadley didn't almost spend himself into bankruptcy forcing an extension and signing bonus at a below market rate to pay off debts and Hadley didn't pick up any younguns at a Gas Station (at least not that we know of)...

What NFL team wouldn't look for help elsewhere when one of their key players displayed a pattern of behavior like this?

What NFL team cares how a player spends his money, as long as it's not on drugs or gambling (maybe it was for legal-age hookers? :flirt: )? And as for the gas station thing, Travis owned-up to it and the girl admitted she lied about her age. A lot of players have done far worse things, and I doubt the politicians who wrote the statutory rape laws had a girl like her in mind when they wrote/passed it.

What NFL team cares how a player spends his money, as long as it's not on drugs or gambling (maybe it was for legal-age hookers? :flirt: )?  And as for the gas station thing, Travis owned-up to it and the girl admitted she lied about her age.  A lot of players have done far worse things, and I doubt the politicians who wrote the statutory rape laws had a girl like her in mind when they wrote/passed it.

356208[/snapback]

You have mistaken Ralph Wilson for Jerry Jones. I will amend my original statement to say that to some teams this stuff does matter.

You have mistaken Ralph Wilson for Jerry Jones.  I will amend my original statement to say that to some teams this stuff does matter.

Again no team cares about the money part. As for the gas station part, yeah it's a black eye for the team, but as I said, players have done a lot worse and no one got hurt in this instance, except for Travis.