The Bills' Jekyll and Hyde offense

Logic

I posted this in another thread, but I thought this specific notion was worthy of its own discussion. Perhaps I'm wrong and this is just a LAMP post, I don't know. Anyway...

The biggest and most frustrating issue to me this whole season is that the Bills offense is Jekyll and Hyde. If it was ONLY ever bad and ineffective, then it would be easy to say "fire the play caller". But that's not the case, and that's what makes the issue so confounding.

Some weeks, they are absolute killers. They have shown that they can be lethally effective, just as they are constructed now, WITH this playbook and this playcaller. 

Then other weeks, they are meek little lambs. There's no rhythm, no variety, the playcalls don't build off of each other or show any semblance of creativity or logical sequencing or forethought.

Some drives, they spread things out, use tempo and motion, get to the line quickly, get the short game and Josh's legs working, and attack the defense until it looks helpless to stop them.

Other drives, they come out in static formations, use very little tempo or motion, get to the line too late, force the intermediate and long game, and look slow and timid and reactive, helpless against whatever the defense throws at them.

Sometimes, Josh looks confident, certain, accurate, and makes quick decisions.

Other times, he looks tentative, uncertain, pats the ball too long, and doesn't seem to know what to do with it. 

Why do they vacillate between these extremes? How can they look so different from game to game, even from drive to drive? Why can they not seem to stick with the good and throw out the bad? 

THIS is the key issue with this team this season -- its Jekyll and Hyde offense. Until they figure it out, their season is going nowhere fast. 

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? Is there something defenses are doing differently from game to game or drive to drive to cause this bizarre disparity in effectiveness? It's extremely confounding to watch, and I am at a total loss to explain it.

Edited by Logic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.