Good discussion of what’s actually valuable on offense, positionally (The Athletic)

dave mcbride

Paywalled, but very good if you have access. They do it over the course of a bunch of articles (defense, qb, etc.). 

I feel like the Bills follow this logic pretty closely, with the exception being that Spencer Brown is too tall for their ideal OT. And judging from his game, I think they are right to worry about players of that height.

good stuff about TEs, the importance of interior line versatility, X and Z receivers, and RBs.

https://theathletic.com/4717969/2023/07/26/nfl-draft-franchise-offensive-players/

‘What are your physical preferences for an offensive tackle, and what do you want from athletic and mental standpoints?

Lee: I’m a devotee of the bigger-faster-stronger model — physical archetypes exist at certain positions for good reason. If you don’t clear 6-foot-4, I’m placing an asterisk by your file (and if you’re 6-8, I’m worried, too). If your arm length is shorter than 33.5 inches, you better have some special athletic traits and film, otherwise I’ll be expecting you to play guard in the NFL. I’m a bit more forgiving with weight thresholds, because I’m measuring it against your explosiveness and agility scores. If you clear 305 pounds, it’s all good with me.

Baumgardner: Ideally, I’d like an OT to have 34-inch arms but 33 is an acceptable floor. Anything below 33 would require some type of elite agility/burst combination and/or an elite football IQ. My height floor would be 6-4 and — like Diante — anything above 6-7 makes me nervous.’

EDIT: For the coaching article, I thought this was interesting given that the Bills drafted Terrel Bernard (Baylor) in the third round last year:

‘One more, from the college ranks: Dave Aranda at Baylor. We know that schematically, much of his playbook is inspired by the kind of 3-4 defense we’re seeing increase in popularity. He also aided in the development of several NFL players, many being linebackers he worked with directly. His offense at Baylor mixes the college-style spread with some professional passing concepts. He’s maximized his roster and improved every program he’s been at. It’s still a bit early in Aranda’s career to make this big a leap, but expect his name to generate more and more interest in the coming years.’

https://theathletic.com/4681445/2023/07/17/nfl-ownership-franchise-head-coach-selection/

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.