Weekly Series - A Bill from the Doldrum Years - 1970 to 1985- Updated

freddyjj

Weekly Feature or not  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue this with a new player every week for the next 15 weeks

• yes
    • no

I have the fortune or misfortune of being born the day the 1st Bills AFL team had their first ever practice.  Might be why I have followed them so closely through thick and thin.  My fanhood really took shape with the NFL merger in 1970 and the OJ years.  I have noticed many on this board were not fans yet so I will help fill some of your offseason reading with a look back at a Bills player who played a big part in the Bills' seasons between 1970 and 1985.  I call these years The Doldrums as other than OJ, some WRs and the Knox years - not much was happening.  Hope you enjoy these.  I plan to add to this weekly with another year and player.  This week we add 1971.

1971 - Robert James, CB 

In a year the Bills went 1-13, with Harvey Johnson as Head Coach, there were few highlights.  Although Pro Bowl honors and All-Pro designation came in the next 2-3 years, 1971 was Robert James breakout year in the NFL.  He finished the year with 4 INTs and 2 FRs which were career highs for James.  At 6'1"  195lbs, James was a big, shutdown man corner for the Bills D for 6 years.  

Originally signed as an UDFA out of tiny Fisk University in Nashville, TN, James had to convert from DE to DB.  Elbert Dubenion, the former Bills WR was the scout who discovered James and convinced the Bills to sign him.  James was discouraged as a rookie and actually went home during training camp where he was eventually tracked down and convinced by Bills CBs Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson and Dubenion to return.  James was a backup in 1969 and started to play more in 1970 before becoming a starter in 1971.

From 1972-1974 James made 3 Pro Bowls and was named All Pro in 1973 and 1974.  He sustained a career ending knee injury in the 1975 preseason and never played another NFL Game.

He went back to college and had a career in secondary education in his native Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  Many older Bills fans will say Robert James was the best CB ever to suit up for the Bills.  His physicality and press man capabilities could transcend eras.  James was put on the Bills Wall of fame in 1998.

1970 - Marlin Briscoe, WR.  (aka Marlin the Magician) - Pro Bowl

In his second year as a Bill and also at playing WR, Marlin had 57 catches for 1036 yds and 8 TDs.  Those #s might seem pretty pedestrian in today's NFL but he finished 2nd in NFL in yardage and catches to Gene Washington the SF 49ers WR who is now in NFL league office.  Marlin's 8 TD receptions accounted for 80% of the 10 TDs that Bills rookie QB Dennis Shaw threw that year.  This would be the best years for receptions, yardage and TDs in his 9 years as a WR in the league.  He made the Pro Bowl in 1970, the only time he would as a player.

Marlin's nickname The Magician stemmed from his 1968 Rookie Year with the Denver Broncos who took him in Rd 14, Pick 346 out of Nebraska-Omaha where he had played QB.  The Broncos, with former Bill coach Lou Saban, planned to convert him to CB.  Instead, after a couple Bronco QB injuries, Briscoe got the opportunity to play and eventually start at QB.  In fact, Marlin Briscoe became the 1st African-American QB to start in the AFL.  He threw for 14 TDS and ran for 3 more in only 5 starts and 11 appearances.  He was electrifying in his play at QB and the nickname stuck.  Unfortunately for him, Saban chose a different QB for 1969 and upon hearing that, Briscoe asked for, and got his release.  He quickly signed with the Bills and was converted to WR.  

After 3 years with the Bills, Briscoe was traded to Miami after the 1971 season, when Lou Saban was hired again as the coach for 1972.  Briscoe was part of two Super Bowl winning Dolphin teams but never again matched his receiving success in Buffalo.  In fact, Briscoe led Buffalo in touchdown catches in each of his three seasons as a Bill and in receptions twice.  The 1973 first round draft pick received from Miami was subsequently used to draft Joe DeLamielleure, another future Pro Bowler and NFL HOFer.

Many of you may remember we lost Marlin last year as he passed away on June 27, 2022.  He had some tough times after his career ended with episodes of cocaine addiction and a prison term.  https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/sports/marlin-briscoe-dead.html  

Sources: Wikipedia, Pro Football Reference, NY Times

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

• freddyjj changed the title to Weekly Series - A Bill from the Doldrum Years - 1970 to 1985- Updated
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.