What did JP say about Vincent hit?

bbb

I heard this one GR yesterday, and figured I'd see something in the paper. I did a search of this forum and can't find anything. What I heard on GR was that despite all the denials at the time, etc. JP said recently that the hit where Vincent broke his leg was not an accident, but they've patched up their differences and everything is cool now.

I heard this as a passing remark and they didn't get into. It was said like it was common knowledge.

Apparently, I missed something. Can somebody fill me in with what JP said?

I heard this one GR yesterday, and figured I'd see something in the paper.  I did a search of this forum and can't find anything.  What I heard on GR was that despite all the denials at the time, etc. JP said recently that the hit where Vincent broke his leg was not an accident, but they've patched up their differences and everything is cool now.

I heard this as a passing remark and they didn't get into.  It was said like it was common knowledge. 

Apparently, I missed something.  Can somebody fill me in with what JP said?

333292[/snapback]

I don't know what JP said I'll let someone else field that, but if this is the case, my guess is Losman was being a brash egotistical rookie and the savvy vet had to put him in his place. Live and Learn for JP. Hopefully he learned

I heard Schopp and the Bulldog talking about this at length the other day and listened to the quotes. JP never came right out and said that Vincent hit him on purpose, but (and I can't remember the exact words) the implication from his remarks was hard to miss. He did say that he was pretty upset about the way it happened and that he and Vincent had talked about it several times since the incident and were fine now, that it was "water under the bridge." Which would put the lie to everything Vincent and especially the front office said over the past year (i.e. it was an accident and nobody was trying to send a message).

I should add that no one, least of all JP, is saying that Vincent intended to break his leg. That was just an unfortunate consequence. But the implication seemed pretty clear that Troy didn't hit him "accidentally."

who cares, its over, he's healed, lessons learned....life goes on

333503[/snapback]

I care because since it appears that JP has healed well physically and suffered no long-term physical effects from the broekn bone (he was able to play with increasing effectiveness in mop-up duty last year, the break will be a simple test of his healing ability as some folks are poor healers and a break triggers a series of hurts and for others the point of the break is actually stronger than the rest of the bone).

I care because it is beginning to look like the break and the enforced sit down time was one of the best things that could happen to JP and his development:

1. He was a brash young upstart who Vincent apparently hit because he took advantage of the practice tutu to get extra yards and make plays work in practice when he was flushed by the Bills D which could not finish him. In the real game, its a bad habit to get into because they will finish you. If suffering the bone break put the boy in his place I'm glad it happened.

2. The enforced absence was likely what JP needed. If he had been unhurt, he certainly would have used the time to don the jersey and be a sub. His time last early last season would have been spent carrying the clipboard on the sideline, yukking it up with his fellow athletes, rooting for his team but mostly fighting the frustration of watching Bledsoe butcher things while he waited and waited and waited.

Instead I hope he used his enforced absence to go up to the booth, attach his ear to Sam Wyche's mouth and to learn the game from up top where you can better see the plays develop and compare what you saw exactly to the film. It was interesting to watch JP in mop-up duty last year because a good sign was watching him finish off plays and run fakes without the ball like a vet. I would not be surprised if he developed this old pro habit watching Bledsoe and opposing QBs (he certainly didn't learn it free-lancing and running for his life at Tulane.

3. He also had downtime we he could not play and excess energy that I hope was devoted to the film room and running the plays through again and again in his mind since he could not play or even practice.

I do worry that JP did not spend his downtime as well as he could since MM clearly decided that he needed to deliver the boy wonder a lesson by throwing him into mop-up duty in the NE game at the last minute. JP was so bad in that game (a fumble and an INT) as he looked like a deer in the headlights, it had to be a real world lesson to him that when you put on the jersey you must be ready to play.

We'll see. I was quite intrigued by Kyle Boller's comments at last year's draft about his own injury his rookie season that one surprise he found was that there was stuff to learn sitting on the sidelines unable to play that he said you could not learn playing game.

I had a firm belief that you had to play to develop and that is still true, but I did realize (unlike folks like the late-lamented ICE) that while playing is essential, there are ADDITIONAL lessons which are better learned with a better perspective of the whole field and without the added distraction of preparing yourself to play just in case.

I hope that we hear JP say after he has tremendous success this season thay in fact the downtime from the injury was just the thing he needed to go to "finishing" school with Sam Wyche and to really learn not only what worked as a QB, but why things worked or did not work as well.

We'll see.