Roscoe Parrish

I realize this pick has been debated to death, however I have been giving it a fair amount of thought over the past couple of days and wanted to weigh in. The more thought I give to this pick the more I dislike it. I think when you select players in the 2nd round generally you are trying to pick starters and I do not think Roscoe Parrish can ever be a starter. I was doing some searching trying to find out his bench and squat numbers and was not successful. I take it that this might be because he did not participate in these drills. I bring these up because I think in order to be even a #2 receiver you must possess the strength to be shake bump & run coverage and I do not think Roscoe will be able to do this. Also every thing I read says he does not have the frame to put on more muscle. Anyway I think unless this team is going to run an Indianapolis Colts type offense and really get the #3 receiver involved in the passing game like the Colts do with Brandon Stokley a 2nd round pick is too high to use on a slot receiver / reteurn man. Terrence Murphy went three picks later to the Packers and I think he would have been a better pick if this team wanted a receiver simply because he might be able to eventually develop into a starter something I do not see Roscoe Parrish being able to do. People have been making the Marvin Harrison comparrison and I hope they are right and that Roscoe will have the size to be a #1 or #2 receiver. Also I will gladly eat crow on this one and hope that Roscoe becomes a great player. I would be quite happy to eat my words.

If Dante Hall had been an ultra-productive college receiver, meaning that he came into the NFL ready to contribute as a WR, wouldn't he merit a second-round pick? Same with Randel-El, who didn't even play WR in college (and I think he may have been a second-rounder, or at least a third). Many teams had a first-round grade on Parrish, FWIW.

Also, this was something of a "system pick" - Mike Mularkey and Bobby April will know exactly how to use a guy like this. We'll see all kinds of wild stuff, like Parrish lining up in shotgun, JP flanking out as a receiver, and Parrish either running or throwing (or both, who knows?)...

Let me ask you this: regardless of whether he's a "starter" or not, if he is responsible for 8-10 TDs this year, wasn't he worth the pick?

Let me ask you this: regardless of whether he's a "starter" or not, if he is responsible for 8-10 TDs this year, wasn't he worth the pick?

332622[/snapback]

People tend to undervalue this pick and only think in terms of offensive production and wether or not he is going to be a starter on this offense. People really are not considering the contributions he is going to make as a STer and with this role, I think he can contribute a couple of TDs while on offense, but he will also contribute by either scoring on STs or setting us up for scores while returning kicks.

Parrish's value is that he'll move defenders out of the box. Defenses will have to move the safeties back when he's in the game, and will most likely have to play a nickel defense against Moulds, Evans and Parrish, as none can be covered by a linebacker.

This means that the O-line will face fewer outmanned blitzes, and McGahee will get more room to run.

NE uses Branch, Johnson, and even Faulk to keep defenses from blitzing Brady. Buffalo finally has some speed at WR to do the same.

That's why I think Parrish is a better pick than an OT. Even the best OT wouldn't prevent defenses from putting the 8th man in the box. Parrish, as he works into the offense, will make defenses think twice before committing the extra defender.

Having a skill at drafting "starters" is a falicy.

The draft is a crap shoot. Teams should be happy to have 1-2 players from any given draft start at some point in their careers.

Besides, how can one rate any draft before the players take the field? Let us, instead, look at the 2003 draft.

McGahee - starter.

Kelsay - started 9 games in 2004.

Crowell - special teamer

McGee - special teams standout. Decent corner.

Aiken - coming on at the end of 2004, likely challenging for 3rd WR in 2005.

Sobinski - still hanging around

Sape - still hanging around

Haggan - special teamer

Parrish's value is that he'll move defenders out of the box.  Defenses will have to move the safeties back when he's in the game, and will most likely have to play a nickel defense against Moulds, Evans and Parrish, as none can be covered by a linebacker.

This means that the O-line will face fewer outmanned blitzes, and McGahee will get more room to run.

NE uses Branch, Johnson, and even Faulk to keep defenses from blitzing Brady.  Buffalo finally has some speed at WR to do the same.

That's why I think Parrish is a better pick than an OT.  Even the best OT wouldn't prevent defenses from putting the 8th man in the box.  Parrish, as he works into the offense, will make defenses think twice before committing the extra defender.

332663[/snapback]

I'd prefer that OT myself, but your thoughts about the defense sounds good. I guess that we'll have to see if Parrish can avoid getting jammed at the LOS - I suspect they will work on quick-out patterns for him.

Parrish's value is that he'll move defenders out of the box.  Defenses will have to move the safeties back when he's in the game, and will most likely have to play a nickel defense against Moulds, Evans and Parrish, as none can be covered by a linebacker.

332663[/snapback]

put any 3 WR's in the game and more often then not the defense is going to switch to a nickel.......i don't think parrish is going to force a defenses hand any more then reed or aiken would........can parrish beat a nickelback more often then reed or aiken? possibly........but either way parrish will be beating the same nickelback that reed or aiken would have been facing if they were lining up in the slot.........

I'd prefer that OT myself, but your thoughts about the defense sounds good. I guess that we'll have to see if Parrish can avoid getting jammed at the LOS - I suspect they will work on quick-out patterns for him.

332668[/snapback]

You can have the best OT in the league, but if your wideouts are Bobby Shaw and Josh Reed, and your QB has cement feet, you're going to set the league sack-allowed record.

Even the best Oline can't stop blitzes coming from 8-man fronts. The offense needs to spread those guys out, and the only way to do that is with speed.

I'd still like to see the Bills sign Shelton or Walker if they're available after June 1, but those either of those guys will look better if the defense has to back off the coverage due to Evans, Moulds and Parrish.

put any 3 WR's in the game and more often then not the defense is going to switch to a nickel.......i don't think parrish is going to force a defenses hand any more then reed or aiken would........can parrish beat a nickelback more often then reed or aiken? possibly........but either way parrish will be beating the same nickelback that reed or aiken would have been facing if they were lining up in the slot.........

332670[/snapback]

There's a huge difference between Aiken/Reed and Parrish. Parrish can take a screen pass to the house, Aiken and Reed can't.

And Aiken/Reed require no deep coverage, like Evans does. Parrish will require deep coverage, which pushes the safeties back, out of the box.

The offense is going to be radically different with Parrish in the game. The pure speed on the field will dictate adjustments to the defense, something the Bills offense hasn't been able to do in years.

You can have the best OT in the league, but if your wideouts are Bobby Shaw and Josh Reed, and your QB has cement feet, you're going to set the league sack-allowed record.

Even the best Oline can't stop blitzes coming from 8-man fronts.  The offense needs to spread those guys out, and the only way to do that is with speed.

I'd still like to see the Bills sign Shelton or Walker if they're available after June 1, but those either of those guys will look better if the defense has to back off the coverage due to Evans, Moulds and Parrish.

332676[/snapback]

The question is: Can your QB locate a receiver, can the reciever gain seperation under the (usually) shortened time to do so with blitz? I'm no fan of excessive blitzing, but defenses will do it facing a weak ol as well as when facing a weak wr corps. Blitzing need not mean 8 man rushes - a db or a fast lb with moves works well.

There's a huge difference between Aiken/Reed and Parrish.  Parrish can take a screen pass to the house, Aiken and Reed can't. 

And Aiken/Reed require no deep coverage, like Evans does.  Parrish will require deep coverage, which pushes the safeties back, out of the box.

The offense is going to be radically different with Parrish in the game.  The pure speed on the field will dictate adjustments to the defense, something the Bills offense hasn't been able to do in years.

332682[/snapback]

like i said, roscoe will be facing the same nickelbacks that aiken or reed would be facing.........he doesn't change the defensive personnel based on his presense in the line-up, so your point that the bills will see more nickel coverages because roscoe is around doesn't add up.......

will roscoe push safeties back more then aiken/reed would? i don't think he will intially.......he'll have to prove he can beat the bump of the nickleback (and LB's on crossing routes) before he earns the respect of the safeties in the league.......if the defense can slow him down off the line of scrimmage the threat of him beating a safety deep becomes slimmer and slimmer........if he can beat the bump consistantly AND then beat safeties deep he will begin to garner more attention and defenses will then adjust, but they may well bring the safeties up closer to the box to give him a rougher ride off the line of scrimmage.......like you said, the threat of a screen pass is also there which will also lead to teams playing closer, not farther away, from roscoe, at least until he proves he can beat guys deep......

the bottom line is roscoe needs to prove he can beat the bump before anyone backs off him.......you don't get handed respect in this league without earning it first........

The question is: Can your QB locate a receiver, can the reciever gain seperation under the (usually) shortened time to do so with blitz?  I'm no fan of excessive blitzing, but defenses will do it facing a weak ol as well as when facing a weak wr corps.  Blitzing need not mean 8 man rushes - a db or a fast lb with moves works well.

332686[/snapback]

not to mention facing a young, unproven QB........

The question is: Can your QB locate a receiver, can the reciever gain seperation under the (usually) shortened time to do so with blitz?  I'm no fan of excessive blitzing, but defenses will do it facing a weak ol as well as when facing a weak wr corps.  Blitzing need not mean 8 man rushes - a db or a fast lb with moves works well.

332686[/snapback]

Sure, but a big part of the Bills problem over the past few years is that they have been hit by odd man blitzes, thanks to a lack of speed at WR and a slow-footed QB.

If Parrish can back the defense off before the snap, the Oline's and QB's reads are much easier. That's a big help to the Oline and a young QB.

Whether Losman can run through progessions is something that remains to be seen (I think he can, but that's my opinion).

the bottom line is roscoe needs to prove he can beat the bump before anyone backs off him.......you don't get handed respect in this league without earning it first........

332690[/snapback]

Thus the use of the word "potential" in the title. <_<

like i said, roscoe will be facing the same nickelbacks that aiken or reed would be facing.........he doesn't change the defensive personnel based on his presense in the line-up, so your point that the bills will see more nickel coverages because roscoe is around doesn't add up.......

will roscoe push safeties back more then aiken/reed would? i don't think he will intially.......he'll have to prove he can beat the bump of the nickleback (and LB's on crossing routes) before he earns the respect of the safeties in the league.......if the defense can slow him down off the line of scrimmage the threat of him beating a safety deep becomes slimmer and slimmer........if he can beat the bump consistantly AND then beat safeties deep he will begin to garner more attention and defenses will then adjust, but they may well bring the safeties up closer to the box to give him a rougher ride off the line of scrimmage.......like you said, the threat of a screen pass is also there which will also lead to teams playing closer, not farther away, from roscoe, at least until he proves he can beat guys deep......

332690[/snapback]

Well the obvious answer to this is that you start the season by putting Parrish in motion, which removes the bump and forces movement in the defense before the snap. Again, this gives the advantage to the offense.

Considering that Evans is a proven deep threat, there's multiple ways to move the defense out of box just by moving Parrish before the snap.

And if guys play closer to Parrish on the line, they're still out of the box, so that's fine too.

And I just don't see Aiken or Reed worrying defensive coordinators. You can zone them up (with LBs), and neither is going to hurt you after the catch. Guys like Parrish, Moulds, and Evans can and will hurt you after the catch. DCs will have to account for them, or they will get burned.

I've actually had the opposite opinion of the Parrish pick. At the time the selecton was made, I was astonished to the point of being angry. But since then, I am coming more and more around to liking this pick -- and not just because of the positive PR that we all heard about RP in mini camp.

As has already been discussed, the liklihood of a mid-to-late 2nd rounder becoming anything more than an adequate starter in this league is not a slam-dunk. I actually WOULD be concerned if the team had taken a stab at a player that they hoped and prayed would come in to save the day.

That isn't the case here. Because we already have Moulds and Evans on the roster, who already occupy the starting positions. That is what MAKES this a good pick. No one is asking or even expecting RP to be a #1 WR. (If he elevates to that level it's gravy!) While it may be wishful thinking comparing this kid to Marvin Harrison, if he is another Brandon Stokely, how much better does that make Moulds and Evans? Also, imagine how it sparks our return game with McGee running back kicks and RP running back punts.

At first glance, this seemed like a risky, head-scratching pick. Now, upon further reflection, it is a very SAFE pick -- and one that is probably more likely to pan out than the ones made ahead of RP in the 2nd round. That is at least partly because the potential for reward far outweighs the risk. What's the worse than could happen? Roscoe doesn't pan out. Well, at the very least he can duke it out with Reed and Aiken then, right?