Later round picks with early round traits

LEBills

To preface, for the most part I believe the higher rated player is a better player (though not always). But if you don’t get a chance to draft them, these guys have some similar traits and may have a chance to succeed while available later in the draft.

QB:

If you can’t get Malik Willis in Round 1….

Dustin Krum QB Kent State is a big arm kid in a heavy RPO offense. He doesn’t have the same type of wiggle that Willis has when he runs, but he is still a threat with his legs with surprising speed. Willis has a prettier release of the ball but Krum has some power behind his throw like Willis does. Willis will be the first QB taken this year, while Krum may not be drafted. Interesting developmental guy in a draft lacking in QB talent. 

RB:

If you can’t get Isaiah Spiller on Day 2….

Keaontay Ingram RB USC is a pretty well rounded running back. He actually has more juice (ran a 4.53 40 vs. Spiller’s 4.6) and a better burst on his cuts to get through the line than Spiller. Spiller is more well rounded as he is a better receiver and better blocker, but Ingram has nice size, burst and hands to be a lead running back in the league. While Spiller is likely the third running back drafted, Ingram will go day 3 and is one of my favorite later round backs

Outside WR

If you can’t get Treylon Burks in the first-second round…

Romeo Doubs WR Nevada is a thick receiver with great strength to break tackles and body cornerbacks down the field, though more often he is blowing by them. He is not as big as Burks’ 225 pound body but Doubs is a strong 200+ who shows ability to play in the slot as well as outside and is great at attacking vertical as well as pretty good at slants and settling in the middle of the field in an open zone. He is very competitive, and he along with TE  Cole Turner will get their QB Carson Strong drafted pretty highly in the next few weeks. 

While Burks is bigger and may be a little faster, I think Doubs gets better separation around the football field and think he is being slept on in a deep receiver class. I would take Doubs straight up over Burks 😳

Slot WR

If you can’t get Jahan Dotson in the second round…

Khalil Shakir WR Boise State a round later would be an amazing consolation prize. Shakir is a little bigger with similar speed and explosion numbers to Dotson. While Shakir lets a lot of catches get into his body rather than being a consistent hands catcher like Dotson, both make miraculous catches and are tough as nails. While I love Dotson the player, I think his size will limit him to the slot because teams in the Big 10 were able to knock him off his route when they got physical with him. Shakir will do best in the slot as well with his shorter arms. Both I think will be very successful in that role at the next level.

TE

If you can’t get Isaiah Likey on Day 2….

James Mitchell TE Virginia Tech is the best TE prospect in the class. He got injured after just two games this season but averaged over 16 yards per catch in his college career. While Likely is an explosive player as well with great verticals, decent speed, and production for days, Mitchell can regularly be seen running away from LBs and even CBs in the ACC. Additionally, he has shown to be pretty good at sealing the edge while blocking and being a good blocker in space as well.

Unfortunately, the knee injury that cost him most his 2021 season also has prevented him from taking part in the draft lead up process and so this is a bet that his athleticism can return to what it was before his injury. He is a day 3 pick at best now. 

CB

If you can’t get Andrew Booth in the first round….

Demarcus Fields CB Texas Tech was a team captain at Tech where they played a lot of zone. Now Booth - who played a TON of zone in college- is much better (and would be an amazing fit with the Bills). Booth is bigger, a better tackler, faster, better ball skills - but he is coming off sports hernia surgery and will go pretty early. 

Fields is built almost identical to and had similar combine results to Tre White, is a very willing tackler and gets his hands on a lot of footballs (11 PBUs in 2021). Now he does not catch ANY of them which is part of the reason he is not higher rated. But for a team that plays a lot of Zone, Fields is a corner that could be had late in the draft.

Safety

If you can’t get Daxton Hill in the first round…

Jalen Pitre Safety of Baylor is a human highlight reel. One of the most fun players to watch play as Baylor let him loose all season. Dax and Pitre play a lot in the slot but also we’re asked to basically do it all playing deep, in the box and blitzing. I think Dax does everything as a whole better but man I would love Pitre on the Bills wreaking havoc with his ball skills and playmaking. There isn’t a lot of difference in value as Daxton will go round 1-2 and Pitre will probably go round 2-3 but the safety crop as a whole is pretty unique. Many guys at the top that can do so much for a teams secondary and then guys graded lower who are very talented at a few things but may grow into more complete players. I watched Dax and thought I wouldn’t see a safety play quite like him this year and then Jalen proved me wrong, so wanted to mention him.

That is my list for this year…hope it wasnt too wordy to read. I can add highlights of each player in a later post if others would like or you can find them on YouTube. Cheers to only a few weeks left before the draft! (Also if anyone has a better title for this thread I am taking suggestions lol)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 716er said:

Love Doubs - I think he'll be gone in the 3rd round at the latest. Could see a team reaching into 2.

I think he may go round three like Michael Gallup who I think is a pretty good pro comparison for him. It’s a deep crop of WR so maybe round 4.

If the Bills wind up with him as our top drafted receiver this year I think we will be very happy.

Edited by LEBills

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

I think he may go round three like Michael Gallup who I think is a pretty good pro comparison for him. It’s a deep crop of WR so maybe round 4.

To be honest if the Bills went oline or defense in round 1, I wouldn't be upset if the Bills took him in round 2.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.