How many roster spots are still in play?

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

It doesn’t matter that much really after losing Mitch. He was MAYBE the only guy who could legitimately have held place for a couple of games, and again , that’s a big maybe !  If Josh goes down for more than a few series or just a game , there is no one to replace that talent drop off and be as productive in this passing offense. We don’t currently have a run game as plan b , especially  with the two current backs, so without Allen this team will not have much offense.   So far they refuse to develop a plan b for bad weather or should Allen go down as they have not fixed the lack of run production.   So they will fill in with whatever is left from the FA’s and there is just no talent out there that makes second qb anywhere close to providing your comfort like last year. That guy was a overall number one pick if I remember correctly and last year having him on a cheap deal was an anomaly.   No way is having a second Qb more valuable than getting a legit CB 2 or depth as another injury there would be devastating.   

The facts are with no dependable run game ( tho there is some hope with Safford and if Bates’ can stay, and maybe the new OC will place more importance on a legitimate run threat ) does it really matter too much who qb two is as the production will likely fall off a cliff without Josh !   They are just structured around him as he also is their main running game. How do you replace that?

So get a guy like fitz or marriota who could possibly give you a few series or a game, but until they get a plan B and develop an ability to run the ball  IF NEEDED  ( look  what happened when the weather was bad and even Josh couldn’t pass well, our o fell apart), just plug in a reasonable guy for the qb room because we can’t compete in the AFC with all the other qb talented teams should Josh get injured. . It’s the same for the other AFC  teams. I do wish they would get a quality back tho to help protect Josh and keep him away from so many rpos ( until playoff time) and develop a good run threat/ game. That way an avg throwing qb might have a chance to be productive if Josh is out for any period,  and THEN  it might actually matter who the back up qb is. It’s more important to do everything possible to keep Josh healthy ( develop a legit run game )  than worry about what qb to fill in with because like most teams , if your starter is down , so are your chances of post season success.   The CB need is more reasonably fixed as we saw last year with depth stepping up, if you have guys in the pipeline so that again takes precedent over qb 2. 😉

I disagree with the run game assessment.  Once Brown was at RT, Bates at LG and they committed to using Singletary most of the time, the run game looked solid.  The OL should be better with Saffold. Brown was far from great at RT so that is a concern.  Blocking from the TE position is still mediocre at best, though Knox seemed to be a bit better.  WR blocking is solid.  And then you add Kromer.  I think the outlook for the run game and a more balanced attack is quite good.  They will add another RB in the draft.  

I agree CB#2 is far more importna than QB#2.  As with any NFL team, if the starter is lost for a significant length of time the rest of the roster doesn't matter. 

Marriota is still my top choice.  I would have been fine with Tyrod Taylor or Fitz too.  Either of those guys can manage a game or two.  I'd be surprised if they don't sign a veteran arm .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.