Your Kid's Cartoons

I understand the willies Disney honchos probably have over these old shows, but I think its sad that they won't even make these "banned" cartoons and features available for the sake of the historical record. They could easily put out "Songs of the South" on DVD with all sorts of contemporary social commentary, and have nothing to apologize for.

maybe disney's right. maybe the cartoons of my childhood are all wrong...

that coyote should have been promoting a vegetarian lifestyle

why did i spend so much time watching a white male with a shotgun (possibly bought at a gunshow) hunting an innocent bunny, possibly on protected wetlands

that elite team of American GIs fighting a global terrorist organization was probably committing attrocities anyway while promoting American hegemony

and those robots in disguise, they transformed into vehicles that polluted the environment

and those teenage mutant turtles should have gotten involved in midnight basketball instead of the ninja thing

Back when there were two or three Saturday morning TV channels and

"Johnny Quest" - no parent worried about the Coyote trying to massacre the

Roadrunner (or vice-versa)

It was all pretend

Poor - poor PC at Disney.com

http://www.nationalreview.com/seipp/seipp200505050753.asp

329810[/snapback]

There's more than a few Warner Brothers cartoons that you never see any more, too, because they promote violence and/or racism and/or whatever...even though, in the context of their time, they're sheer artwork.

Personally...I think it's all just a little too Orwellian, editing past culture to mold present social mores. Better, I'd think, to keep such things as-is and say "This is how society WAS", rather than change them to reflect "This is what we want society to be". Unfortunately, that's only effective with smart people, and not Americans...

Back when there were two or three Saturday morning TV channels and

"Johnny Quest" - no parent worried about the Coyote trying to massacre the

Roadrunner (or vice-versa)

It was all pretend

Poor - poor PC at Disney.com

http://www.nationalreview.com/seipp/seipp200505050753.asp

329810[/snapback]

Johnny Quest was way cool. Cartoons went away about '72. I miss Boris and Natasha, though I've been told they can be spotted here and there.

I miss Elke Sommers, too...and Joey Heatherton, but pretty sure they wouldn't give me the same twitch now.

I miss the 20th century.