Evans - the anti-McGahee

cale

You might be the mightiest RB to ever be drafted by the Bills - I doubt it. But maybe, just maybe...

You should STFU and learn from your fellow rookie draftmate - and just let your playing do the talking. In the meantime, show some class and learn some respect. Please, please also talk to your bonehead agent about shooting **his** mouth off...

Level headed Evans

I love this quote:

---

''I'm sure my time will come,'' said Evans, who was limited to two catches for 12 yards. ''But right now, I've got to do the things that I've got to do to help this team win, whatever it may be.''

And by that, Evans means he's happy serving as a decoy to free up another receiver or throwing a block to spring a big play.

''We all just have to play our part,'' he said.

---

Attaboy! Just do your thing - and your time will come.. How refreshing...

Charles

I'm surprised I didn't read this earlier. You are exactly right, cale.

I love how when Travis says anything like, "I should be the starter," the server crashes because so many people are quick to bash the MVP of our team. Willis says it, and it takes all day for it to be mentioned on the Wall, and no one replies to it.

Hey, I hope Willis turns out to be a great player. If he's better than Travis, we got ourselves an awesome running back. But I can't figure out why so many people think his stevestojan doesn't stink, while a proven guy likes Travis gets more criticism than praise on this board. Can someone explain this?

Lord help him if Travis were to (gulp) fumble on Sunday.

I'm surprised I didn't read this earlier. You are exactly right, cale.

I love how when Travis says anything like, "I should be the starter," the server crashes because so many people are quick to bash the MVP of our team. Willis says it, and it takes all day for it to be mentioned on the Wall, and no one replies to it.

Hey, I hope Willis turns out to be a great player. If he's better than Travis, we got ourselves an awesome running back. But I can't figure out why so many people think his stevestojan doesn't stink, while a proven guy likes Travis gets more criticism than praise on this board. Can someone explain this?

Lord help him if Travis were to (gulp) fumble on Sunday.

24278[/snapback]

These were quotes from Lee Evans, Willis' quotes were pretty self centered as I recall.

Are you implying that McGahee has been the one bitching about he should be the starter?

If so, you're way off base, it is well known to most that it was his loudmouth agent Drew Rosenhaus that was doing all the talking. Drew appears regularly on a radio show down here and the host called him on it. He told Drew to tell his client, a former Cane, to shut the !@#$ up and just earn his way to the starting spot! Drew very timidly responded that McGahee never said anything and that he Drew did all the smack talking, just to stir things up a bit.

Everything that I've heard McGahee say has been nothing but positive. He seems to have totally embraced the concept that Travis is the man and that he'll do whatever is asked of him to make the team better.

If this is not what you meant than I apologize for being so far off base, if it is what you meant, then get with the program and stop acting like a Buffalo News reporter who is doing nothing except trying to increase circulation.

These were quotes from Lee Evans, Willis' quotes were pretty self centered as I recall.

24283[/snapback]

I understand. What I'm saying is, Willis made some cry-baby remarks in an AP story that came out either late yesterday or early today, and no one here brought it up-- as far as I could tell anyway.

It was refreshing to hear Lee Evans say the things he did when put in a similar situation as McGahee. It is a bit different in that Evans and Reed will be on the same field at the same time far more often than Travis and Willis, but still I thought Lee was pretty classy. It was also good to read Josh's comments about Evans too.

Are you implying that McGahee has been the one bitching about he should be the starter?

If so, you're way off base, it is well known to most that it was his loudmouth agent Drew Rosenhaus that was doing all the talking.  Drew appears regularly on a radio show down here and the host called him on it. He told Drew to tell his client, a former Cane, to shut the !@#$ up and just earn his way to the starting spot! Drew very timidly responded that McGahee never said anything and that he Drew did all the smack talking, just to stir things up a bit.

Everything that I've heard McGahee say has been nothing but positive.  He seems to have totally embraced the concept that Travis is the man and that he'll do whatever is asked of him to make the team better.

If this is not what you meant than I apologize for being so far off base, if it is what you meant, then get with the program and stop acting like a Buffalo News reporter who is doing nothing except trying to increase circulation.

24291[/snapback]

This is from Willis in AP story dated yesterday, about Travis being the starter...

That's their decision...it ain't mine. That's all I can say about that. I'm not worried about it, my time will come. Only one person can start and unfortunately he's the one starting."

Asked about being the third-down back:

"What, third down? Nothing's good enough for now....I don't want to be no backup, but they're paying me a good salary."

I would not call that totally "embracing the concept that Travis is the man," nor do I think he is concerned about helping the team if he's complaining about being a third-down back.

If so, you're way off base, it is well known to most that it was his loudmouth agent Drew Rosenhaus that was doing all the talking.  Drew appears regularly on a radio show down here and the host called him on it. He told Drew to tell his client, a former Cane, to shut the !@#$ up and just earn his way to the starting spot! Drew very timidly responded that McGahee never said anything and that he Drew did all the smack talking, just to stir things up a bit.

Everything that I've heard McGahee say has been nothing but positive.  He seems to have totally embraced the concept that Travis is the man and that he'll do whatever is asked of him to make the team better.

24291[/snapback]

Hey sfladave

What program did you mean? Is there an automaton/lemming waiting list I can get on?

That's pretty funny about the bit about Buff News reporter. I'm not trying to increase circ. God knows I don't think any of the WNY papers are real newspapers. The Buff News used to be decent but not anymore...But I digress...

My point is simply this - no matter how hungry you are to start, I think Evans (as quoted by people here) and McGahee(also as quoted by folks here) have decided to take decidedly different tacks here as how to approach it.

IMHO, Evans realizes he still has to prove himself in the NFL and is willing to learn (and more importantly earn) his way into the starting lineup. McGahee on the other hand (at least based on the quotes atrributed to him and his agent) seems:

1) To want to be handed the starting job.

2) Sulk if he doesn't get it. What's that bit about "unfortunately, it's he(Henry) who is starting" That's just BS. Whether he agrees or not - the appropriate response would have been something along the lines of - "You know I'm happy for Travis. I'm a competitor and obviously I want to start. But the competition is only going to make be better. In the meantime, I aim to learn as much as I can from a Pro Bowl running back and contribute as much as I can towards the team."

Would that have been so difficult? It would have shown some maturity on his part - regardless of how much of a dip his agent is - and he could have quietened much of the static about this so called controversy.

McGahee will be an amazing talent to watch provided he doesn't let his head explode. He's lucky to be a first round pick. Most of the projections had him going in the 3rd round or later. After the draft, I remember him in tears thinking he was going to go much later and how grateful he was that the Bills picked him in the 1st round etc. etc.

What a difference a year makes. I'm not saying he should feel indentured or anything. He has shown flashes of brilliance. But I do think he thinks he shouldn't have to pay his dues.

The guy in front of him, has had a 1400 yd season and is a tough SOB. Plays thru pain and has for all his faults put the team first. He drives me crazy when he fumbles. But until WM can achieve that same kind of attitude on the field, he has no business complaining about not getting the start.

Again, a lot is missed in print - maybe he said all those things atrributed to him in a very humble tone. Somehow I don't think so. He's young but he does need to grow up. I hope one of the veterans or coaches (besides Henry) takes him aside and talks to him about his attitude. Again, let your playing do the talking.

Charles

PS. for the record I don't think Travis is perfect either but right now he's the man. In terms of track record and in terms of the coaches decision. WM just needs to get over it and "get with program."

You might be the mightiest RB to ever be drafted by the Bills - I doubt it.  But maybe, just maybe...

24235[/snapback]

I doubt it too...Mr. McGahee will have to go a LONG, LONG way in the NFL before anyone will ever hear his name mentioned in the company of one Thurman Thomas...

I think the Bills Drafted another pretty good HB out of USC way back in the day, don't recall his name, but I think he wore #32... :P

Right now I like Willis' progress, but he's far behind Travis Henry in Buffalo Bills HB lore, and miles behind a few others... B)