Yet another Wonderlic rumination...

Here's something to ponder about the Wonderlic (one of our all-time fav topics, I know):

Justin Geisinger, the G we took in the 6th round scored a 29 (out of 50) on the test at the combine. Yet, this is a guy who carried a 4.0 GPA in pre-med at Vanderbilt, a not-too shabby school, so there's no question about his smarts.

Now I know we poke fun at all the single-digit, "short bus" guys who got drafted, but is that really fair?

The Wonderlic is a 50-question test that needs to be completed in 12 minutes.

I wonder how many of the low-scoring guys really are just slow TEST TAKERS...not the rutabaga's we make them out to be. At four questions per minute, it seems like more of a stress test than one of intelligence.

Something to consider, anyway.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing...

Here's something to ponder about the Wonderlic (one of our all-time fav topics, I know):

Justin Geisinger, the G we took in the 6th round scored a 29 (out of 50) on the test at the combine.  Yet, this is a guy who carried a 4.0 GPA in pre-med at Vanderbilt, a not-too shabby school, so there's no question about his smarts.

Now I know we poke fun at all the single-digit, "short bus" guys who got drafted, but is that really fair? 

I wonder how many of the low-scoring guys really are just slow TEST TAKERS...not the rutabaga's we make them out to be.  At four questions per minute, it seems like more of a stress test than one of intellegence. 

322705[/snapback]

His academic success could have just as much to do with his work ethic as it does his intelligence. Obviously it takes a certain level of smarts to do as well as he did but academic success is not always a solid measure of how smart a person is.

That said he is either a pretty smart guy or he has great work ethic, either attribute should help him at the next level.

Justin Geisinger, the G we took in the 6th round scored a 29 (out of 50) on the test at the combine. Yet, this is a guy who carried a 4.0 GPA in pre-med at Vanderbilt, a not-too shabby school, so there's no question about his smarts.

I wonder how many of the low-scoring guys really are just slow TEST TAKERS...not the rutabaga's we make them out to be. At four questions per minute, it seems like more of a stress test than one of intelligence.

322705[/snapback]

:( That's right - low scores may signify nothing more than an inability to think fast and well under pressure. Can't possibly be relevant to NFL football right?

:D That's right - low scores may signify nothing more than an inability to think fast and well under pressure. Can't possibly be relevant to NFL football right?

322898[/snapback]

:P:(;)

Yep...when ol' Roscoe's running down the field, I'll bet he just pondering over stuff like this....(representative questions from Wonderlic test):

Q. How many of the five pairs of items listed below are exact duplicates?

Nieman, K.M. .......Neiman, K.M.

Thomas, G.K. ...... Thomas, C.K.

Hoff, J.P. ..............Hoff, J.P.

Pino, L.R. .............Pina, L.R.

Warner, T.S. ........Wanner, T.S.

Q. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Actually, that second question (#11) is the hardest on the test.

Solve for y (number of small type pages):

1800x + 2400y=48,000 divide by 600

3x + 4y= 80 , x + y=21 so x=21-y

3( 21-y ) + 4y=80

63 - 3y +4y= 80

y = 17

:(