Mularkey on ESPN now

At the risk of getting slammed here, I think TD was right to hold out for a good deal on Travis at the risk of coming up empty handed. Why press the panic button? Travis is under contract, and it's not like the draft signals the end of trading season. I think it was a good gamble, and the story is far from over.

The guy who should have his head examined is Travis' agent. How could he ever put his client into this position? Yikes.

Why would that be a surprise?

It's highly unlikely that Henry will return as a Bill, and my guess is that Donahoe had a choice of trading Henry for a vet or late round draft picks this year.  Don't discount Josh Reed being part of whatever package Bills may be considering.

I found it interesting that Bills didn't draft a RB, as one would think that with Henry's imminent departure, there is a glaring hole at backup RB.  I'm guessing it's all part of the plan.

316952[/snapback]

Gerry,

Why is it so unlikely that Henry will return as a Bill? What is he going to do, sit out the season? The truth of the matter is that he has a contract, and if he wants to get paid in 2006, he'll play for the Bills this year, should the Bills choose not to trade him.

As for Josh Reed, I can't imagine a team giving up even so much as a 7th Rounder for him - if I'm the fan of another team, I'd want to spend a 7th rounder on a guy who might produce, rather than a guy who has been *known* to not produce for two years now. In NFL trades, you choose the devil you don't know every time....

JDG

Gerry,

Why is it so unlikely that Henry will return as a Bill?  What is he going to do, sit out the season?  The truth of the matter is that he has a contract, and if he wants to get paid in 2006, he'll play for the Bills this year, should the Bills choose not to trade him. 

As for Josh Reed, I can't imagine a team giving up even so much as a 7th Rounder for him - if I'm the fan of another team, I'd want to spend a 7th rounder on a guy who might produce, rather than a guy who has been *known* to not produce for two years now.  In NFL trades, you choose the devil you don't know every time....

JDG

317086[/snapback]

I have a hard time believing that TH will return as a Bill given his actions since losing the starting job, his comments since the end of the season and TD's broad effort to trade him. There is no way that Donahoe lets him anywhere near Bills training camp, even though Henry is still under contract.

Henry & Englehard really screwed themselves because their actions depressed TH's trade value, and most teams knew that TD would eventually give him away. But, TD had nothing to gain by giving him away now, as opposed to June 1.

The trouble for Henry is that by that time, most teams in need of a RB will have gotten one, and he'll be going into someone's training camp battling for the back-up job, instead of battling for the starting position.

What a bunch of idiots.

As to the Josh Reed comment, that was my thinking in the drafting of Parrish. Reed could be a throw-in part of whatever deal (of course it would also depend on his contract status)

Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed are completely different types of players, even if both were playing their very best...I really see Parrish being more of a 4WR set...like the Rams used to use Az Hakim. Reed may not be able to catch, but I can't see Parrish being a 3rd wide out on in every 3 WR set. In certain situations, yes, but not every time. I kind of think that Reed will be given every chance to make this team this year, because if he can pick up where he left off in his rookie year, he could still be a very valuable player in our offense.

I think the pick of Parrish has more to do with a (yet again) changing offensive philiosphy, and the immenent departure of Eric Moulds....

Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed are completely different types of players, even if both were playing their very best...I really see Parrish being more of a 4WR set...like the Rams used to use Az Hakim. 

317162[/snapback]

Even if they'redifferent players, they will fight for the same spot.

The scouting reports say that Parrish can be a very effective slot WR. That's the spot where Reed was effective when he was No. 3 in 2002. With Evans & Moulds locked on the flanks, Parrish & Reed will fight for the slot role.