OL starting point

The Shelton deal is a wildcard but since it sounds like we can pull the trigger if we choose, it looks like the realm of possibility on the OL is as follows:

Possibles (in little particular order as many of these possibilities are remote ones)

LT- Teague, Shelton, Gandy, Williams, Peters, Smith (back-up replacement for JJ in 1 game), Pruce

LG- Anderson, Gandy, Tucker, Smith, Sobieski, Bannan, Esposito

C- Teague, Tucker

RG- Villarial, Anderson, Sobieski, Esposito

RT- Williams, McFarland, Gandy, Peters

I think the equation is something like from these 15 players we need to find 5 credible startes at each position. We need to find 3 or 4 players who provide credible back-ups at each position and we will have 1 or 2 developmental players who likely will be on the PS.

Looking at these players it seems to me quite possible to do even without Shelton and easily done if the docs say he can still play at the same level or better than he played before.

The thinnest position on this list of possibles actually strikes me as the center position (particularly if the best move to fill the LT gap is to movr Teague), but this draft is identified by various pundits as one of the deeper draft at C in quite a while and either Spencer or Baas may be available for choosing with out first pick.

I see big OL issues for us as JMac will be called upon to mix and match, but these issues do not seem like a problem to me as it appears we will have several options for JMac to shop among and to demand of the players that if they want an OL job they better step up and perform.

As I have said for quite awhile even amidst the predictions we were doomed on the OL and the moaning and groaning about its state, if we have a problem on the OL its going to be who do we cut as their is flexibility and depth of several development players rather than having to stretch to find 5 starter level players.

There are NOT 5 Kent Hulls out there for this OL, but it strikes me there are 5 Ruben Brown level players out there (good player but overrated as a oerennial Pro Bowl player) for us to develop a unit.

I hope they don't move Teague to LT for he has improved tremendously at center and his ability to get to the second tier of defenses and find those athletic MLB will be key. I hope we can somehow get Shelton or at least re-sign Price for I would feel d@mn good about our line in the run blocking area; pass blocking would be questionable but with JP I think it will be OK for based on his college report he is use to playing under pressure. Now if we had a sitting duck that is strong in waiting in the pockett for a play to develop but lakes the awareness to step up and avoid the rush or make quick decisions such as Drew back there I'd be a little bit more worried.

To put it short I don't think our line will be the downfall or has been the shortcoming of this team, the QB has. Once we find a QB who can feel the rush and make quick decisions and run an efficient short passing attack then our offense will flourish and Mould's might be an MVP candidate. I've been criticizing the Bill's playcalling for years wondering why we don't run more slants, crossing and timing routes that could take advantage of Mould's and Reed's running ability after the catch then I finally realized that just hasn't been the strength of any QB we have had since Kelly retired. We have had the run around create on the fly type in Flutie or the strong arm deep thrower in Drew but we haven't have a consistent, accurate quick throwing QB in the Brady/Montana mode. Hopefully JP can be a combination of all. Mark my words: if we have any shortcomings on offense next year it will be on the QB not the line for this line is more than adequate for a decent QB and the WR's/RB are definitely quality. It's like blaming the Falcons passing game/sack woe's on their line or WR's when in fact the blame lays squarely on Vick and his tendency to hold on to ball and not follow progressions quickly enough. Last year this team has all the pieces in place to be a contender: OUTSTANDING D and Special teams, GREAT Skill players; if they play like they did last year then the QB is the one who has to step his game up, unlike Drew did in 2004.