Fairfax Wegmans

I know this was a topic of discussion a couple of month's ago (server won't let me 'add' to that discussion) but yesterday was the first opportunity I had to visit this new store. Let's just say I was completely blown away. I've been in a Wegman's before (although not the one out by Dulles) but this store is almost surreal in size and offerings. You could spent an hour or more in the prepared food area alone. I could go on and on but I won't. I will say, however, that if you live in the area, do yourself a favor and trek over there. Go hungry, and have fun. By the way, parking isn't that big of a deal. Sure there are a million cars in the lot, but the lot is bi-level and huge. Took us all of 3-4 minutes to find a place. Wegman's will put a serious hurt on the more established chains in the area, and I say good!

Ned, this is particulary for you.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.  Do they have Saranac Root Beer?  LancasterSteve has me hooked on that stuff.

295036[/snapback]

Don't know. I was going to look for some familiar hometown stuff but it was a case of sensory overload. Had to leave. I'll be back though looking for the hometown stuff.

I know this was a topic of discussion a couple of month's ago (server won't let me 'add' to that discussion) but yesterday was the first opportunity I had to visit this new store.  Let's just say I was completely blown away.  I've been in a Wegman's before (although not the one out by Dulles) but this store is almost surreal in size and offerings.  You could spent an hour or more in the prepared food area alone.  I could go on and on but I won't.  I will say, however, that if you live in the area, do yourself a favor and trek over there.  Go hungry, and have fun.  By the way, parking isn't that big of a deal.  Sure there are a million cars in the lot, but the lot is bi-level and huge.  Took us all of 3-4 minutes to find a place.  Wegman's will put a serious hurt on the more established chains in the area, and I say good!

Ned, this is particulary for you.

295032[/snapback]

can you give some idea of where the store is? i get down that way from time to time...

can you give some idea of where the store is?  i get down that way from time to time...

295181[/snapback]

I'll give it my best shot, but I'm not all that familiar with the area since every week there are 300 new condo complexes on what was once undeveloped land. It's near the intersection of I-66 and Rt. 50, sort of "across the street" from I-66 and Fair Oaks Mall (although I don't think you can "cross" from the mall to this area. More specifically, it's off of Lee Hwy (rt 29) on Monument Drive, right next to the massive Fairfax County Government Complex. Mapquest the addy for more specific directions:

11620 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA.

Hope this helps.

I'll give it my best shot, but I'm not all that familiar with the area since every week there are 300 new condo complexes on what was once undeveloped land.  It's near the intersection of I-66 and Rt. 50, sort of "across the street" from I-66 and Fair Oaks Mall (although I don't think you can "cross" from the mall to this area.  More specifically, it's off of Lee Hwy (rt 29) on Monument Drive, right next to the massive Fairfax County Government Complex.  Mapquest the addy for more specific directions: 

Hope this helps.

295221[/snapback]

I used to live at Post Forest Apartments right on the other side of 66 from there. Coming home from work I'd take Lee Jackson (50) to Waples Mill, then down Random Hills Road. The county govt center had just been built, but from Lee Jackson to the apartment was all forest in 1992; I see from the map it's had a ton of development.

Man, I don't miss the traffic around that area. Eight miles to work was minimum 20-25 minutes if you were thrill-seeking enought to drive highway 66. I would allow 30 minutes and just stay on Lee Jackson to Falls Church. Worst time was an hour (!) in a rush hour rainstorm. Half the people I worked with would drive 1.5 hours to work one-way, just to afford a place to live. Some even further. Leaving there was the best thing for my blood pressure that I've ever done.

I'll give it my best shot, but I'm not all that familiar with the area since every week there are 300 new condo complexes on what was once undeveloped land.  It's near the intersection of I-66 and Rt. 50, sort of "across the street" from I-66 and Fair Oaks Mall (although I don't think you can "cross" from the mall to this area.  More specifically, it's off of Lee Hwy (rt 29) on Monument Drive, right next to the massive Fairfax County Government Complex.  Mapquest the addy for more specific directions: 

Hope this helps.

295221[/snapback]

i know exactly where that is. thanks!

I'm suprised that with all the transplants living in the RTP and Piedmont Triad areas that there isn't a Wegmans down here yet. Although I do remember when there was a Hills in High Point, NC that bombed big time.

295294[/snapback]

I work for Wegmans and the talk around the stores is that Danny Wegman may have stores as far south as South Carolina or even Georgia within 15 years.

Here's the ones that are getting worked on currently...

Hunt Valley, MD

October 2005

Mt Laurel, NJ

1st quarter 2006

Cherry Hill, NJ

2nd quarter 2006

Warrington, PA

Fall 2006

I work for Wegmans and the talk around the stores is that Danny Wegman may have stores as far south as South Carolina or even Georgia within 15 years.

Hunt Valley, MD   

October 2005 

Mt Laurel, NJ 

1st quarter 2006

Cherry Hill, NJ

2nd quarter 2006

Warrington, PA

Fall 2006

295406[/snapback]

Danny's a coke-head and a hooker-monger.

Nothing like his old man.

Hunt Valley, MD   

October 2005 

Mt Laurel, NJ 

1st quarter 2006

Cherry Hill, NJ

2nd quarter 2006

Warrington, PA

Fall 2006

295406[/snapback]

If you ask me, they should pass up on SC and Georgia (for now) and head straight for FLA. Do you know how many snow birds would kill to get a Wegmans?

I'm suprised that with all the transplants living in the RTP and Piedmont Triad areas that there isn't a Wegmans down here yet. Although I do remember when there was a Hills in High Point, NC that bombed big time.

295294[/snapback]

Amen brother. There are alot of transplants down here from WNY.

If you ask me, they should pass up on SC and Georgia (for now) and head straight for FLA. Do you know how many snow birds would kill to get a Wegmans?

295488[/snapback]

It will happen. It's not a matter of if anymore, it's when. I think it will be about 20 years and there will be at least 1 store in Florida and it will dominate due to all the former Western NYers down there.