Besides O-line, what was the biggest issue with the Bills offense?

#34fan

9 hours ago, eball said:

I thought Castillo came across very poorly in that article. Clearly there was a disconnect and it only makes sense to get an OL coach that fits Daboll’s philosophy. 

Yes, This.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was a good bit of the problem with Robiskie as well - in him you've got a guy who just spent 2 years as an OC, maybe he's a bit salty about getting released and isn't in the best place mentally to offer constructive feedback to a new OC or to adapt to a different kind of scheme.  Or re-adapt to a subordinate role.

The thing is, I'm not so sure about Daboll's schemes and playcalling.  I did think they got better as the year went on.  I think he started the season with plays that were far too complex and not really in sync either with down and distance or with how defensive players actually react.  He would have, say, 3 layers of misdirection: to the R then to the L while the play went to the R.  What would happen in practice is the defense would react to the first misdirection, would not have time to react to the second misdirection, and would be well-positioned to smother the actual play.  I saw this, for example, against Green Bay.  Or, Daboll would call a great 1st down play on 3rd down, a play where what seemed to be the first read had little chance to get to the markers.

But Dabolls our OC now, and deserves to have a shot where all the hosses in the stable are pulling in the same direction, so disconnect the disconnects.  He needs a critic in house, but he needs one who's phrasing the criticism as "that's well drawn up, but what happens if the defense does THIS?" vs "that'll never work, I wouldn't try that." - if that was happening.