Sean Payton: 46-man roster rule dated, 'gotta change'

On 12/20/2018 at 2:09 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sean Payton: Teams need more players available on game days

"The 46-man roster on game day is soon to be, I think, will be soon dated. I think that's gotta change," Payton said. "If we're interested in health and safety -- and it sounds like we are; at least that's something we talk about a lot -- that number should be higher. And that'll affect the overall roster size. And that might cost a little bit more money, but that's the price."

Payton said there is ample support for expanding rosters among coaches and teams around the league, but he said it's not something that can be changed by the competition committee -- which he is a member of.

I agree. After last Sunday, the Bills needed more bodies 

oops forgot the link 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25581612/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-wants-46-man-roster-rule-change

Amen to that been saying this forever and just typed it the other day.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:06 PM, Tuco said:

It goes back to the days when there were no inactives, just a 46 man roster. Teams would stash their extra players on IR, and back then teams had a certain amount of "free" moves where they could bring a player off IR and activate him. If a team didn't want to use one of their "free" moves they had to expose the player to waivers before they could activate him. This, by the way, is exactly how the Bills claimed Steve Tasker from Houston. Houston wasn't cutting him, they were attempting to activate him from IR without using a "free" move.

Once the salary cap was implemented and the rule was changed so any player who goes on IR must stay there for the season, teams all said we need more players available because of short term injuries. So they all said okay we'll go to 53 players. But then they said if one team only has 1 injured player and another team has 5 injured players, this gives the first team a 52 to 48 man advantage on game day. So they said okay, we can keep 53 but still only dress 46 on game day. 

Then the teams said we still need more players available, so they added an 8 man practice squad. Then the teams said we still need more available players, so they're back to letting 2 of the IR players return each year. 

Payton may be all for adding players, but I'll bet there are plenty of owners who think they have enough now.

those owners would be wrong. The 46 is outdated and needs to be even higher and should be 60. If an owner really wants to win they will change the roster at next collective bargaining agreement.

• Like (+1) 1