O Line why is it bad?

7 hours ago, Foreigner said:

If you think Castillo is a problem then don't give his boss a pass. The buck stops at the top. The head man

is responsible for Castillo.

i agree and along with what hapless said, they must have done some kind of pin prick oath. with that said, what we do know is....

1. mcdermott hired juan ( i believe before rico) as oline coach and RUNNING GAME COORDINATOR.

2. last year the oline had to revolt against the zone blocking scheme to try to get back to the power scheme that they had success with the previous 2 years.  it worked as our run game did improve.

3. mcd fires rico, but keeps juan.

4. mcd hires dabol and keeps juan.  don't the coordinators usually hire their line coaches? i could be wrong, but i wouldn't doubt dabol was told he was working with juan and ironically juan also still has the subtitle of run game coordinator.

5. the run game and oline woes lie squarely on mcd'e shoulders. nothing's gonna change until castillo is gone. mcd is not going to tell juan to mix or move lineman,

so we are in for much more of the same chaos up front. our veterans are gone so there is no one to stand up to juan. this is 100% on mcd. all he can do is throw dabol under the bus

....apparently.

16 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Whhile undoubtedly the talent level on the O-Line isn't especially good, the coaching has to go a long way towards the current debacle. Kromer was a terrific O-Line coach, who had Miller playing well as a rookie. There's some hard evidence right there.

Schematically, you have to question if they are employing the right schemes for the personnel. If they aren't understanding their protections, then it may be necessary to go back to the traditional 'hat on a hat', and leave someone else in (RB or TE) to pick up a blitzer.

While either McCoy or Ivory are ok at blocking, the evidence given so far by our TEs, is that they aren't. Clay generally, isn't a bad blocker, but he seems to be increasingly banged up, and less able to block because of it. Lee was hopeless at least on two occasions Sunday, one of which resulted in a holding penalty, where he felt obliged to tackle the guy from behind.

Tbh, I'd look to re-sign O'Leary, as he can block and catch, even if he isn't the most athletic guy. What he is, is a football player. This probably won't happen, as it would look lilke a mistake was made in the first place, by letting him go. On the evidence so far, it was a mistake. Even if they don't go after O'Leary, I'd like them to find a vet who can actually block, even if he can't catch, as Allen's health could depend upon it. ;)

i thought letting him go was stupid....and keep lee? oleary makes plays. i think they should also bring reilly back. we need a couple of guys that can get open.