pretty incredible (and horrible) stats-deaths in college fb

I was so fortunate in the late 70's.  My HS Head Coach was a former University of Michigan offensive lineman.  He was really smart and realized that tearing us down during the summer was counterproductive.  He was enlightened.   He was definitely not the norm 40 years ago.  We had weed out drills - burpees, a steep hill just to the side of the practice field for repeat sprints, Oklahoma's, etc. but all done in moderation. 

We usually had about 5-10% of the team quit each summer before scrimmages started.  The hill sprints were the real weed out--but there was never water withheld or any other BS. We had the most successful 4 year run in the school's history.  I still talk with coach regularly today.  

I don't think it's a coincidence that from my class and the class immediately before and after me, there are 9 corporate CEO's of $50 Million + revenue companies from a 65 man squad (including a Fortune 25 company Chairman and CEO).  All this from a public HS in a small town in rural Ohio. Coach is an amazing leader who taught us about much more than football.

To bring it back to the Bills, McD's demeanor, faith, and personality remind me a lot of him.