Not much activity by the Bills for free agents

jahnyc

I was kind of expecting the same type of offseason as we had last year, where TD replaced the players waived (R. Brown) or lost to free agency (A. Winfield) with free agent acquisitions (Villarial and Vincent).

I understand that there is a long way to go before training camp and the regular season begin, but I am wondering about the lack of moves so far. Some people seem to think it is because TD does not want to overpay. I don't think this is the case. No one wants to overpay, but we have paid market for many of our free agent acquisitions over the years (i.e., Fletcher, Spikes, Villarial, Vincent, Milloy, etc.).

I think our lack of activity has more to do with our cap situation. I still find it interesting that TD has talked about upgrading the o-line each of the last two years but has done little to do so. This leads me to believe that we will draft a guard or left tackle with our first (second round) pick and hope that he can step in and help immediately.

It is boring, but TD is allowing for the team to be cap-healthy over the next couple years.

I think we will pick up one more FA after Mike Williams' contract is restructed and TH traded and/or Coy Wire released.

Also, I think TD is working to resign Clements to a long term deal now without having him go into Free Agency next year.

I was kind of expecting the same type of offseason as we had last year, where TD replaced the players waived (R. Brown) or lost to free agency (A. Winfield) with free agent acquisitions (Villarial and Vincent).

I understand that there is a long way to go before training camp and the regular season begin, but I am wondering about the lack of moves so far.  Some people seem to think it is because TD does not want to overpay.  I don't think this is the case.  No one wants to overpay, but we have paid market for many of our free agent acquisitions over the years (i.e., Fletcher, Spikes, Villarial, Vincent, Milloy, etc.). 

I think our lack of activity has more to do with our cap situation.  I still find it interesting that TD has talked about upgrading the o-line each of the last two years but has done little to do so.  This leads me to believe that we will draft a guard or left tackle with our first (second round) pick and hope that he can step in and help immediately.

275852[/snapback]

I still find it hard to believe that we are going into the the 2005 season

with a rookie QB and no left tackle, and possibly a new/rookie center.

It kind of sounds like deciding to build a house, and after four years,

decide to install electrical and plumbing.

I still find it hard to believe that we are going into the the 2005 season

with a rookie QB and no left tackle, and possibly a new/rookie center.

275894[/snapback]

Dude, it's March.