I think folks are getting ahead of themselves

I like playing the fake GM game as much as anybody else. However, I'm rooting for the 2005 Bills and while 2006 is important because the future will be the present quicker than we think (can you believe it is mid-March already!) I for one would love to see this team hold off on reinking Clements until we settle the current OL issues and I am more than happy to not worry at all about the Eric Moulds 2006 cap hit issues until next off-season.

I understand why these items are important to mention, but it amazes me that some folks seem to have their panties all up in a wad about whether we extend Clements or not or whether it makes sense to have Moulds on the 2006 team even if he restructures again.

Puuhhleeeze. There is a whole season yet to be played and what happens (injuries, going deep in the playoffs, etc.) will have such a big impact on our strategy and team needs that maintaining flexibility is a key for anything we do.

In Clements case, I can at least see the logic in locking up this youngster who slid into the Pro Bowl if you can. However, it makes no sense to me to do this at the cost of getting help right here right now for the 2005 team. Clements is playing well enough and hitting some incentive bonuses which add to his salary and cap hit and make resigning him potentially a useful thing for actually creating up front cap room, however, he has played well enough that it will probably take an additional load to sign him and if my choice is to overpay him now and forgo getting the OL help we need, or overpay him later and manage it, I overpay him later. It may cost us more, but if he gets hurt like Andre Reed got hurt in his contract year, it may cost us less to wait as well.

The Moulds worry simply strikes me as insane. We are going to draft or UDFA WRs anyway because it is unclear whether Reed/Aiken can be the #3 we want. Whether Moulds stays and is productive in '06 is a factor, but he just restructured for this year and there is nothing we can do this year anyway and our decision in '05 regarding him is totally up in the air based on what happens in '05.

So I hope we stay focused on the fan duty iof rooting for the '05 team because the GM duty for '06 is interesting but essentially random without info we don't have about contracts and events in '05.

I agree and disagree. In 05, the Bills have handed the qb job to an unknown commodity. This is true, despite posters having him penciled into Canton, and likening him to Joe Montana.

They also lost their starting LT, and gave away their 1st round draft pick. Does this sound good to you?

I dont blame posters for looking ahead to some degree.

I do not give up on the Bills in 05. MM has much needed experience under his belt. TH will not be the starting RB. Kelsay is a year older. We still have a nice defense and punter.

In summary, good things ARE happening, but alot does ride on an unproven qb, and trying to fill the LT spot....this with not so much cap room and no first round pick.

How good does this sound to you?

I agree and disagree. In 05, the Bills have handed the qb job to an unknown commodity.  This is true, despite posters having him penciled into Canton, and likening him to Joe Montana.

They also lost their starting LT, and gave away their 1st round draft pick. Does this sound good to you?

I do not give up on the Bills in 05. MM has much needed experience under his belt. TH will not be the starting RB. Kelsay is a year older. We still have a nice defense and punter.

In summary, good things ARE happening, but alot does ride on an unproven qb, and trying to fill the LT spot....this with not so much cap room and no first round pick.

275789[/snapback]

Bill, who on the board claims to have JP penciled in for Canton? And why do you say we 'gave away' our first round draft pick?

I agree and disagree. In 05, the Bills have handed the qb job to an unknown commodity.  This is true, despite posters having him penciled into Canton, and likening him to Joe Montana.

275789[/snapback]

Except for the current LT situation, just fine. First round picks are pretty overrated.

We didn't "give away" a first round pick. We simply used it a year earlier. Either way, we'd still be looking at a different starting QB and backup this season. The difference is, it'd be Holcomb starting and an unknown rookie who's even further away than JP Losman.

Except for the current LT situation, just fine.  First round picks are pretty overrated.

We didn't "give away" a first round pick.  We simply used it a year earlier.  Either way, we'd still be looking at a different starting QB and backup this season.  The difference is, it'd be Holcomb starting and an unknown rookie who's even further away than JP Losman.

275912[/snapback]

It's more fun to disagree with you, but that's exactly right.......The pick we traded to Dallas not only got us what we hope to be a prolific NFL QB, but it also bought us a year of development.

I like playing the fake GM game as much as anybody else.  However, I'm rooting for the 2005 Bills and while 2006 is important because the future will be the present quicker than we think (can you believe it is mid-March already!) I for one would love to see this team hold off on reinking Clements until we settle the current OL issues and I am more than happy to not worry at all about the Eric Moulds 2006 cap hit issues until next off-season.

I understand why these items are important to mention, but it amazes me that some folks seem to have their panties all up in a wad about whether we extend Clements or not or whether it makes sense to have Moulds on the 2006 team even if he restructures again.

Puuhhleeeze.  There is a whole season yet to be played and what happens (injuries, going deep in the playoffs, etc.) will have such a big impact on our strategy and team needs that maintaining flexibility is a key for anything we do.

In Clements case, I can at least see the logic in locking up this youngster who slid into the Pro Bowl if you can. However, it makes no sense to me to do this at the cost of getting help right here right now for the 2005 team.  Clements is playing well enough and hitting some incentive bonuses which add to his salary and cap hit and make resigning him potentially a useful thing for actually creating up front cap room, however, he has played well enough that it will probably take an additional load to sign him and if my choice is to overpay him now and forgo getting the OL help we need, or overpay him later and manage it, I overpay him later. It may cost us more, but if he gets hurt like Andre Reed got hurt in his contract year, it may cost us less to wait as well.

The Moulds worry simply strikes me as insane. We are going to draft or UDFA WRs anyway because it is unclear whether Reed/Aiken can be the #3 we want. Whether Moulds stays and is productive in '06 is a factor, but he just restructured for this year and there is nothing we can do this year anyway and our decision in '05 regarding him is totally up in the air based on what happens in '05.

So I hope we stay focused on the fan duty iof rooting for the '05 team because the GM duty for '06 is interesting but essentially random without info we don't have about contracts and events in '05.

275757[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Yes, exatly.  That's what JP has.  I'm happy with JP.  Amazingly I have no fear of him leading our team.  Is that insane or what??

276239[/snapback]

Insane? Of course not. Confidence is a good thing. It is also logical to believe that his odds of being a good NFL qb are about 50/50, right?

Insane? Of course not. Confidence is a good thing. It is also logical to believe that his odds of being a good NFL qb are about 50/50, right?

276242[/snapback]

I would think at best. There is miscalculation about whether a player has what it takes to make the jump from college success to the pro game (the failures of Ryan Leaf are a lead example of a player who produced in college but could do nothing in the pros). I do not expect this is the case with JP from the little we have seen of him, but the brain cramps he suffered when he took a penalty arriving in the huddle in his second game and improved on that to take a meaningless TO when his job was to run clock in his thid game shows he needs/needed some work.

In addition, bad luck with or the occurence of injuries is something which sets back players who have produced in college or even in the pros as RJ did. I think it is still way to early to label JP as injury prone based on one injury in pre-season practice, but you need a first unfortunate injury to have a second odd injury and one down hopefully none to go. One odd injury can happen. Two can be a coincidence. Three is probably a trend. We're not there yet.

Also, added to failure because the athlete unexpectedly cannot translate college success into pro success on the field, and unfrseen injuries, there is the case of something happening off the field in terms of a relative dying, a car crash, a bad hair year or whatever. All of these things and more happen and there is nothing we can do about them.

That being said, success happens as well and I hope that is the case with JP. If not, we seemed to have put ourselves in a position that the season will not be definitely over because though Holcomb is more likely a failure as an SB QB than a success, he is a credible #2.

I feel like the D and ST are strong enought that worse comes to worse Holcomb can play the Trent Dilfer role and we can get further than we got last year.