Multiple Threads Guidance

This topic has come up in a few threads recently, so thought it was worth visiting.

This is paraphrased from some guidance SDS laid out for the mods a while back and represents my interpretation.

There's a lot of confusion on this point. 

It is against policy to start multiple threads on the same topic.

Flooding the board with multiple threads of minimal difference will usually get smacked down, especially during a game on game day.

What's the same topic and what's different? 

Mods don't see it as "All Things Josh Allen" must go in the same thread.   Balance.

Examples:

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread  ---- "My Opinion on Drafting Josh Allen" or "I've come around on the Allen pick" are likely to get merged

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread ----- "Josh Allen Game Film" or "Josh Allen Analytics" or "Josh Allen OC Interview" are likely to be considered sufficiently different to separate, even though in practice discussion within the threads will tend to coalesce on the same handful of points and may get merged later on.

Josh Allen Game Film thread --- different games or highlights may get merged into it.  One mod may see "Every Josh Allen TD" as game film, one mod won't.

Bottom line: It's best practice to search (or scan through the first 3 pages) and consider if your info roughly fits into an existing topic.  But good info gets buried on page 56 of a 86 page thread, too and that's understood.

My rule of thumb is to try to keep an equal number of folks b*tching on each side.  If about the same numbers of people are yelling that more threads should be merged vs complaining that threads have been merged, "that's about right".  It's also affected by the beverage I'm quaffing at the time.  :beer:Just being honest.

I would encourage folks who want to see a merge to just report rather than starting a back-n-forth argument within the thread  - that flags it to a mods attention vs. detracting from football discussion with 'thread police'.

Cheers!

Hap

• Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 14