The Contender

Dr. Fong

Two for two in my book. Last night's ep. was great. I'm really enjoying this show so far even though it's getting shelled in the ratings. I hope that doesn't effect its chances for another season. I read that the finals will be live and broadcast in May. Can't wait for that.

Two for two in my book.  Last night's ep. was great.  I'm really enjoying this show so far even though it's getting shelled in the ratings.  I hope that doesn't effect its chances for another season.  I read that the finals will be live and broadcast in May.  Can't wait for that.

271363[/snapback]

i caught it last night. very good show. I hate "reality" shows for the most part, but this one's right up my alley.

can't believe Reid lost.

i caught it last night. very good show. I hate "reality" shows for the most part, but this one's right up my alley.

can't believe Reid lost.

271402[/snapback]

You should have seen the first episode, and should catch the replay if you can. I wouldn't have given a nickel for Gomez's chances to beat that guy. But he took it to him and won a hard fought exciting match.

I love it so far. Ratings will be better now seeing its going to be on sunday nights. It was on 2 extra nights this week to get started but it will be on sunday nights for now on. But excellent show so far.

Thanks for the posts as this may be worth a look. All I had seen was the commericals which seemed to emphasize this more as a soap opera using boxing as an excuse for smaltz with an aging Sly Stalone and an aging Sugar Ray Leonard as the folks trying to bring some validity (Leonard seemed to be a has-been with this use and it simply reminded me that Stallone was a never was as far as athletics is concerned).

However, if there is some good sports here I should tune in. Does the actual boxing match happen in the last 10 minutes or so, so I can restrict my watching to that?

Thanks for the posts as this may be worth a look.  All I had seen was the commericals which seemed to emphasize this more as a soap opera using boxing as an excuse for smaltz with an aging Sly Stalone and an aging Sugar Ray Leonard as the folks trying to bring some validity (Leonard seemed to be a has-been with this use and it simply reminded me that Stallone was a never was as far as athletics is concerned).

However, if there is some good sports here I should tune in. Does the actual boxing match happen in the last 10 minutes or so, so I can restrict my watching to that?

271582[/snapback]

I watching this for the first time last night....wasn't bad. Yes, the boxing match is the last 10-15 minutes. Most of the rest is hyping the personalities and the upcoming bout.

Surprisingly, there wasn't an overabundance of face time for Sly or Sugar Ray.

271582[/snapback]

Yeah the boxing takes place at the end of the show. But I found that watching the rest of the show builds up to the final match really well. Give it a chance, I think you'll find that it's a good show all the way through.

Yeah the boxing takes place at the end of the show.  But I found that watching the rest of the show builds up to the final match really well.  Give it a chance, I think you'll find that it's a good show all the way through.

271603[/snapback]

I'll check it out. i must admit i gave up on watching professional boxing somewhere in between Mike Tyson biting someone's ear off and FanMan descending upon a match.

I'll check it out. i must admit i gave up on watching professional boxing somewhere in between Mike Tyson biting someone's ear off and FanMan descending upon a match.

271670[/snapback]

You got a problem with me jerky? Ill eat your kids :blush:

Love the show only problem is Boxing has fewer fans than Volleyball.

Its sad for the state of boxing which Is my second favorite sport.

Heavyweights make more dough playing football now adays.

Lighter weight classes are where all the moneys at now

Some great fighters are reaching the twilight of their careers

I really hope some real talent emerges from this show.

Your right that boxing doesn't have a wholelot of fans, i myself find it as entertaining as football,have showtime and hbo mostly for the boxing. This series seems like its going to be quite good,though i am bias being a boxing fan, if your aboxing fan you gotta check it out! By the way the only guy i had ever seen box that i remember is ishe smith, anyone elserecognize anyone else?

Your right that boxing doesn't have a wholelot of fans, i myself find it as entertaining as football,have showtime and hbo mostly for the boxing. This series seems like its going to be quite good,though i am bias being a boxing fan, if your aboxing fan you gotta check it out! By the way the only guy i had ever seen box that i remember  is ishe smith, anyone elserecognize anyone else?

272187[/snapback]

i was a huge boxing fan at one time. But all the PPV and ripoffs have soured me to it. I used to be able to watch boxing for free on national TV. back when they had championship bouts of the GREATEST fighters on ABC Wide World of Sports.

FREE. watched with my dad and bros on saturdays. Ali, Frazier, Forman, SR Leonard, Roberto Duran (el manos de piedra), Hagler, Hearns, etc.

no way I'll pay for a boxing match after seeing the best ever on reg. TV. No way.

It's one of the better show on .I like 24 also but this is real. Is it just me or do the talented boxer stop punching after thay get hit a few times. Just like football more heart then talented have been winning