I've heard of this type of behavior before...

From the reports obtailed by the ACLU using FOIL ...

"The documents also include statements from six witnesses who said three interrogators and a civilian interpreter at Abu Ghraib got drunk one night and took a 17-year-old female prisoner from her cell. The four men forced the girl to expose her breasts and kissed her, the reports said. The witnesses -- whose names were blacked out of the documents given to the ACLU -- said those responsible were not punished.

Another soldier said in January 2004, troops poured water and smeared mud on the detained 17-year-old son of an Iraqi general and "broke" the general by forcing him to watch his son shiver in the cold."

When I read this, there was a haunting familiarity to some of it. Then I remembered where I had heard it before. My aunts, uncles and my own mother telling me stories of the Nazis running roughshod over Italian civilians during WWII. At that time, we (Americans) considered this type of thing evil ... morally reprehensible ... and wrong.

Guess times have changed. Now the Attorney General of the United Stated of America openly condones torture. As someone who apprciates irony, it is not lost on me that we are doing this inside a prison that Saddam built. I don't really get the "liberation" part. But then, this war is being brought to you by the same morons who are calling winning a Presidential election by few votes a "mandate." Stay tuned. I'm sure the best is yet to come ...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read this, there was a haunting familiarity to some of it. Then I remembered where I had heard it before. My aunts, uncles and my own mother telling me stories of the Nazis running roughshod over Italian civilians during WWII. At that time, we (Americans) considered this type of thing evil ... morally reprehensible ... and wrong.

Guess times have changed. Now the Attorney General of the United Stated of America openly condones torture. As someone who apprciates irony, it is not lost on me that we are doing this inside a prison that Saddam built. I don't really get the "liberation" part. But then, this war is being brought to you by the same morons who are calling winning a Presidential election by few votes a "mandate." Stay tuned. I'm sure the best is yet to come ...

271064[/snapback]

......I don't even know where to start.

:blink:

"The documents also include statements from six witnesses who said three interrogators and a civilian interpreter at Abu Ghraib got drunk one night and took a 17-year-old female prisoner from her cell. The four men forced the girl to expose her breasts and kissed her, the reports said. The witnesses -- whose names were blacked out of the documents given to the ACLU -- said those responsible were not punished.

Another soldier said in January 2004, troops poured water and smeared mud on the detained 17-year-old son of an Iraqi general and "broke" the general by forcing him to watch his son shiver in the cold."

271064[/snapback]

Ahhh...Nazi references. The quickest way to lose an argument.

Gotta love Petrino, at least he's consistent. :blink:

271150[/snapback]

Consistency helps, indeed. But consistent or not, perhaps the greatest strength lies in the fact that I'm right. Case in point: I've read the responses, but narry one saying that these acts we are committing over there are just & moral. Maybe it's just a question of relevance.

271064[/snapback]

That bastard the American Minister of Defense Rumsfeld, and I won't say shamelessly, because they don't know what shame means. These are criminals. The whole word can hear the warning sirens. This criminal sitting in the White House is a pathetic criminal and his Defense Minister deserves to be beaten with shoes! These criminals lie to the world because they are criminals by nature and conditioning. Shame on you! You will forever be shamed! You have ruined the reputation of the American people in the most terrible way! Shame on you! And we will destroy you!

Consistency helps, indeed. But consistent or not, perhaps the greatest strength lies in the fact that I'm right. Case in point: I've read the responses, but narry one saying that these acts we are committing over there are just & moral. Maybe it's just a question of relevance.

271162[/snapback]

It could just be that arguing with you has proven to be pointless in the past, so why waste the energy now. You have political blinders on and refuse to take them off.

Thinking you are right is not the same as actually being right.

Ahhh...Nazi references. The quickest way to lose an argument.

271146[/snapback]

So if you say nazi's are bad you are going to lose the argument? Now saying Americans are acting like nazis then you have a better point.

It could just be that arguing with you has proven to be pointless in the past, so why waste the energy now. You have political blinders on and refuse to take them off.

Thinking you are right is not the same as actually being right.

271169[/snapback]

No, in this case it's about choosing what you stand for. Torturing & abusing civilians in the name of "liberating" them ... in the name of anything, really ... is wrong. Killing and war as the "first choice" is wrong. If that belief constitutes me wearing "blinders", then so be it. At least when God asks me on my day of judgement exactly where I stood, I will be able to say - as you have graciously pointed out - that I was consistent and unwavering. But thanks again for pointing it out ...

No, in this case it's about choosing what you stand for. Torturing & abusing civilians in the name of "liberating" them ... in the name of anything, really ... is wrong. Killing and war as the "first choice" is wrong. If that belief constitutes me wearing "blinders", then so be it. At least when God asks me on my day of judgement exactly where I stood, I will be able to say - as you have graciously pointed out  - that I was consistent and unwavering. But thanks again for pointing it out ...

271185[/snapback]

War wasn't the first choice, which makes you wrong. Thanks for playing with the blinders on. Nothing changes with you.

So if you say nazi's are bad you are going to lose the argument? 

Nope.

Now saying Americans are acting like nazis then you have a better point.

271177[/snapback]

Yup.

War WASN'T the first choice?!?!? I can only assume you've been locked in an isolation tank or travelling in Eastern Tibet without a radio since 2003...

271225[/snapback]

Stop hanging out with the MoveOn.org loonies and pay attention to what actually transpired. You are really showing your ignorance on the issue, but that was to be expected given your posting history. The issues with Iraq started before 2003, so there is your first mistake. Try actually researching an issue before you post. It will save you from embarassing yourself even further. :blink:

Stop hanging out with the MoveOn.org loonies and pay attention to what actually transpired. You are really showing your ignorance on the issue, but that was to be expected given your posting history. The issues with Iraq started before 2003, so there is your first mistake. Try actually researching an issue before you post. It will save you from embarassing yourself even further.  :blink:

271258[/snapback]

They reportedly started before the current President's first term - but that be news to some folks.