LAW talking with JETS!!!

Is this the same Newsday that said that Jonas Jennings was signing with the Jets and that they were flying Pat Williams in for a visit?

Award winning journalism right there.

:angry:YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Randy Lange also Reporting it (He's Reliable)

Jets hope to get on right side of Law

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

Like the stock market often does heading into the weekend, the Jets posted a small rally Friday. And it could turn into a major gain in the coming days if they take the law into their own hands.

Ty Law, that is.

NFL sources confirmed the Jets have inquired about joining the hunt to sign Law, the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback who became a salary-cap casualty after playing 10 seasons for the Patriots.

One source said the Jets have had conversations with Law's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston. Another said, "I think that's good speculation" that the Jets have interest in the once and presumably future shutdown corner.

Jets officials declined comment, and Kevin Poston wouldn't talk about the Jets specifically.

"I really can't say who, but a number of teams are interested," he said. "Ty's a top free agent. Everybody knows his situation. He'll be fine."

The Jets could join a field of suitors that includes Cleveland and coach Romeo Crennel, Law's New England coordinator; Kansas City, Minnesota and possibly Indianapolis.

The price will be high. Law and the Pats went through years of bitter wrangling over his contract. Before last season, Law called a four-year, $26 million offer "a slap in the face," while the Pats rejected a seven-year, $63 million counteroffer.

But Law's price could come down depending on the market and also on the condition of his left foot. He suffered a Lisfranc or midfoot fracture in October and had surgery to repair ligament damage before the playoffs. He's reportedly in a wheelchair as he rehabs the foot and might not be ready for the start of training camp.

Law said during the season, "Two coaches I'd love to play for are Herman Edwards and [the Colts'] Tony Dungy."

The addition of a healthy Law to the Jets' back seven also would more than compensate for a front seven that got a little weaker with Jason Ferguson's defection to Dallas.

Former Giant Lance Legree also intends to help the Jets enter the post-Ferguson era. Legree, 6-feet-1 and 300 pounds, signed Friday, said on a conference call he is ready to play both tackle positions, even end in a pinch, and "could very easily start."

"I'm very up to the challenge," said Legree, reunited with Denny Marcin, his line coach with the Giants. "I've waited for this opportunity a long time. These guys play hard and play aggressive, and that's what I bring to the table."

Running back Derrick Blaylock, also on the conference call, said he feels no pressure in replacing LaMont Jordan as the backup and heir apparent to Curtis Martin.

"I'm a slasher, man. I'm pretty quick to the hole, with pretty nice moves and a little power behind me. Don't think I won't drop a shoulder on a couple of guys," Blaylock said. "I guarantee the fans will appreciate the job I get done."

TIGHT SPOT: Who will team up with tight end Chris Baker? It could be Jeb Putzier, the 6-foot-4, 256-pound restricted free agent who played his first three seasons with Denver. The Jets signed Putzier to an offer sheet of five years for $12.5 million, including a $2.5 million signing bonus. If the Broncos don't match the offer in a week, they would get a sixth-round draft pick from the Jets. Denver, which reportedly is just $1.7 million under the cap, is not in good position to match the Jets' offer.

JETS BRIEFS: Kevin Poston on tackle Kareem McKenzie leaving the Jets to sign with the Giants: "I have a great relationship with [assistant GM] Mike Tannenbaum, I still do. They were in a tough situation, we were in a tough situation. That's just business." ... Former Buffalo and New England fullback Sam Gash was named assistant running backs and special teams coach. ... Restricted free agent DT Alan Harper was re-signed.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

I can just picture him, scooting down the field in his electric wheelchair, trying to cover Mould/Evans.

264061[/snapback]

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha! ;)

I was gonna reply to the first post and tell the guy he was mistaken becuz Law will sign with Buffalo cuz Milloy plays here now. They're friends.