Why BLFo will never benefit...

...As a SERIOUS port of call for summer marine tourism. One has to have a vessel big enough for the Great Lakes, but small (low) enough to enter the Erie Canal @ Tonawanda.

http://www.greatloop.org/

"Today's canal runs an average of about 9 feet deep. It has a vertical clearance of 21 feet between Waterford and Three Rivers (Oswego Canal junction), and 15.5 feet between the Tonawanda and the Niagara river. The largest vessels that can make the entire journey must be under 300 feet long, 43.5 feet wide, 9' draft, and a maximum 15' 6" height above the water."

That is pretty big, draft, length, beam, but why is vertical clearance so low?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-78.8/centery:43.0/zoom:10

I talk to 100s if not 1,000s of boaters, Gr8 Loopers alike, that enter The Lakes @ Chicago. Some from all parts of the world. I just had one nice smallish yacht, on this glorious Sunday morning, say that he left St. Louis and is heading to Rhode Island. I always ask: "Are you making a port of call in Buffalo, New York?" The answer, year after year... Spring and Summer alike... Boat upon boat... That answer is always: "No." Mostly because their vertical clearance is too high for the western portion of the Erie Canal. In the Fall when some head back, I say: "Did you go through BFLo? " Answer again is always: "No." They always take The Welland or Trent-Severn. Trent Severn vertical is a whopping 22' yet waterway is rather dinky. They are pulling in the summer tourists.

That 15'6" is the deal killer. Just too much of a hassle getting under, if even possible. Most boats can just barely get below the 19.1" here on the ILWW. The guy I talked to today said: "I would love to see Niagara Falls!" I said: "You can, moor it in St. Catherines, Thorold or wherever and take Uber." Yet,,, He'd be on the Canadian side! Nice added tourism for New York State? Simply, things in Western New York become "too out of the way."

:(

Being that, vessels go through the Welland Canal Or T-Sev and enter The Erie Canal system @ Oswego. Who wants to make a right and dead head down Lake to BFLo and then go back to queue up on The Welland.

Maybe I am off base here, but you'd think we would get our act together and open up this type of tourism and make BFLo a port of call for summer marine interests. What is the logic for not bringing in outside summer travelers?

Discuss? But I think Buffalo, New York is missing the boat!